Leagues of Legends

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ap0calypse, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Would you buy a LoL-like for iphone/ipad?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2012.
  1. Yes

78.3%
  2. No

4.3%
  3. If it was free with IAP

17.4%
  1. Ap0calypse

Ap0calypse Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    #1 Ap0calypse, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Is anyone ready to do a Leagues of Legends-like game on iphone/ipad?
    I have very little experience in programming so I thought i'd better ask the devs if someone was working on it or was interested in this idea....
    I'm pretty sure many people are awaiting a worthy mobile successor for this game.

P.S: If there are more than 200 yes&free with IAP I will post it on their blog :)

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    LoL sucks. It's a ripoff of DotA. I would pay for an official DotA app if it was < $20.

3. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Thats your oppinion, although its not nearly as much a rippof as HoN or DemiGod, LoL has its own twist of the game, moreover, i THINK it is more popular than DotA.

4. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Btw I'm actually curious to know in which way do you prefer DotA to LoL...

5. BigEyeGuy

BigEyeGuy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Same business model as LoL would do great on the iPad in my opinion, iPhone might be too small for that

6. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Even thought I'm not skilled enough to start developping, i made some prototypes on paper and it should fit on the screen (theorically) although I don't think you would fit 4+2 spells in one time :( .......
    .... :eek: Maybe with scrolling spell list?

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  8. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    ????

9. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Honestly, after playing DotA for half a year and trying LoL, it's just too easy. Anyway most of my classmates play DotA.

I've thought of making DotA game before, but it just didn't seem it would work out. The buttons and such would be too cluttered. You're right, an iPad would work well, but still - not the experience you would get on a computer.

10. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    I couldn't agree more...
    I'm thinking that if a virtual joypad was used for iphone it would work.
    For ipad there are no prob it would be possible to point&click.
    Anyway i'm getting a mac so i'll try to find correct controls...

btw @kohjingyu still havent given a true reason to prefer DotA to LoL, it was to easy cause at the beginnig you chose "i'm a begginer in this type of game".

11. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Well, most of my classmates in school play DotA, so you know. Better to play with friends than with pubs.

12. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    OMG, I have 95 friends in LoL and I know around 80 of them....
    I even enlisted 12 guys (didnt refer me:()
    Anyway how many spells do you think could be fit in the iphone screen?
    Do you think it would be possible to make a universal online version (without disadvantaging the iphone dude):D ?

13. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    iPhone? I think it would be cool if gestures were used for spells instead of buttons. It would make full advantage of the iPhone's touch screen.

Definitely possible. I was thinking of doing a prototype after the current game I'm working on. Online wouldn't be possible for me though (unless I get help), cause I suck at web programming and wouldn't have the server to support it.

14. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    You're actually having great ideas. would be cool if there were multiple controls so the player could choose what fitted him the most....:D
    I thought you could use Gamecenter servers for multi?
    I'm currently learning C to try a 1st prototype...;)

15. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    If you ever decide to do it, time is your biggest constraint. These games pretty much relies on frequent updates and balance changes. Without it the games would have gone south.

Actually the developers for LoL and HoN were at one point part of the development of DotA. Hon developers just got permission to do and exact clone of DotA on a different gaming engine.

16. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Thank you for the info....
    I was thinking about a crazy thing... We could just ask some iOS devs to create characters for this game: update for us=Ad for them :D
    This would reoriente the game towards DotA (kohjingyu pleased?)
    However I would like to keep the cartoonish graphism of LoL;)

EDIT: Wouldn't a iOS heroes battle royale be awesome?!

17. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Similar things have been suggested before - didn't materialise I think.

Anyway, the new GameCenter multiplayer thing is for turn based games.

18. NagaRoyalGuard

NagaRoyalGuard Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    #18 NagaRoyalGuard, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    I doubt you can create a workable, viable LoL clone on iPhone or even iPad. The game was created specifically with the Computer in mind, and without a mouse and a keyboard, I highly doubt an iDevice can offer the same amount of control and precision that a computer offers.

However, a LoL inspired game, with mechanics changed to fit this platform... now here I do see a glimmer of hope. With a virtual jotstick and a heavily skillshot-based set of spells, it just might work. The biggest problem is that targeting an enemy/ally for a spell or so in such a game on iPad is uncomfortable and rarely accurate, so unless you are a programming god, more often than not targeting will be a frustrating and unreliable experience.

In conclusion, I doubt you can create the game with the same amount of features as MOBAs for computer. But a simpler version, adapted to take advantage of the strengths of this platform instead of trying to force features the computer version has that simply don't fit on an iDevice, could work and in fact I am surprised I haven't seen one yet.

19. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Ah ok, I didn't know...

That's exactly what we were talking about above....
    I think a possibility between a joypad and poin to click(only on ipad) would be awesome....
    For the spells someone came up with the idea to draw shapes on the screen, this is an interesting idea which could be well used but probably not in this game.
    BTW i was as suprised as you were thats why i am jumping on the occasion;)

Would told you that i was that god:confused:
    No, seriously i think i could do it if i dedicated my time to it...
    I am trying to learn C and Cocoa but i dont have time(btw i learned HTML in 2 days, how about that?:D)

20. Ap0calypse

Jun 20, 2011
    Just had an idea that I LOVE:
    its called hunter mode, in this mode you spawn somwhere randomly on a map which has a lot of jungle and some plains.the goal is to hunt the other player and kill them, this game can be played as a free4all or a teamdeathmatch.
    You could play offline against enemy AI or in Bluetoooth, or online against other players.:D
    There would be 3-4 shops to spend the gold earned and make a build.;)
    In the jungle, some buffs would be disponible, I am thinking if it would be better if there were random minion spawning:confused: