New indie developers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by blt3d, Dec 22, 2008.

1. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    #1 blt3d, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    whats up guys. im a new developer whose getting started with iphone games. i bought Unity 3d and basically jumped in. I've been learning as I go, reading forums about programming and the best way to use the iPhone's resources. My first got game approved in 2 days, and its been selling pretty good considering its my first game ever!
    Anyways, I just wanted to start a thread for new devs or for people who are interested in learning this stuff. It's not that bad :)

2. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Cool, I saw your app in UK store. Did you have any previous programming experience before using Unity 3d? How long did it take from wanting to make an ipod game to havin made it?

3. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    I did alil HTML before but no not really. I just read the Unity forums and fooled around with the scripting language until I came up with stuff I liked lol. I toyed around with the iPhone input methods and user interface stuff for a few weeks before I got Trash it running well enough to be playable.

4. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    just curious...how many have you sold?

5. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    so far in the US, 47 units sold. not too bad for a first game I'd say:)

6. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    nice job with the app so where can I learn how to make an app??
    thanks

7. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    I developed my whole game with Unity 3d, worked out pretty well.

8. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    nice...how much did u pay for unity3d?

9. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Unity3d was $200, the iPhone basic license was $400, plus the $99 Apple developer fee

10. Homasterflexx

Homasterflexx Member

Dec 14, 2008
    yeah i'm a little disappointed that it costs so much to start developing. i want to do it for fun and its goign to cost quite a bit, especially i need to buy a macbook to start!

11. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    If you don't mind working in Windows, there 's an engine called Shiva thats alot cheaper. Its €169,00 so if I'm not mistaken thats around $200.
    http://www.stonetrip.com/index.php

12. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Hi blt3d. I was wondering, does Unity3d include tools for wifi and multiplayer development? Thanks.

13. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    i think only the Advanced ($1499) license inlcudes support for multiplayer. The basic license only has support for high scores.

14. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks. Appreciate it.

15. Just Use XCode

If you don't have a Mac, this might not be possible, but I just used XCode to build my game. $100 to put it on the iTunes Store, but the development package was free.

You can download all kinds of samples from Apple to teach yourself how to program.

16. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    XCode

I'm with gillygize on this one - XCode and the documentation that comes with the SDK should be enough to get started. Knowing C/C++ beforehand helps immensely. Apple makes pretty good tutorials and there is a ton of sample code.

17. DavidLeblond

DavidLeblond Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Made my game with XCode, did the graphics mainly with Gimp, did the music with Garageband, and the title with Blender... free tools are great! (well technically Garageband isn't free, but it comes with the Mac.)

Sure you need to learn a bit more to write in XCode, but you can carry that knowledge over to other programming languages and perhaps your career if game programming isn't it.

18. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm not a dev, but still, I don't see the need to get some expensive engine. You can make a great game without one. Ohh, and David, how in the world did you figure out how to use GIMP. That program is impossible.

19. DavidLeblond

DavidLeblond Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    The program isn't quite impossible, it can be kind of annoying though. If you get use to the quirks that come with a GTK GUI in an X11 environment you can get by. The sticking point for me is the lack of shape tools.

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

It depends on what you're doing...if you're making another simple match-3 game (sigh) then you probably don't need an engine. If you're making a 3D game with character animation and particles and so on, an engine can save you a huge amount of time and pay for itself in a matter of hours.

--Eric