Universal games: more important b/c of iPad 2?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chocolate, Mar 14, 2011.

?

Does UNIVERSAL support in apps matter to you now?

1. YES, universal support matters a lot to me now. I want one app for all devices.

18 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. NO, universal doesn't matter that much to me. I'll buy separate apps.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. MAYBE, I only have one device and don't think about universal much.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm wondering if universal support is now even more important because of the iPad 2's popularity? I have a 4th gen Touch. Plan to get an iPad 2 soon. I suspect a lot more people plan to get an iPad 2 than got the first model.

So now for me, universal support is very important. It's just as important to me as retina display support. In general, I will NOT rebuy the same game over again for iPad. So non-universal apps will simply not be purchased by me.

I wonder if others feel the same now, and if so, then devs should keep that in mind.

What do you think? Is it now more important to you for games and apps to be universal?

2. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Well, think about the performance differences of a 4th gen itouch/iPhone to the IPad 2. Quite a big difference. So a universal app for both devices would especially hurt he file size for 4th gen devices and down. Hope I know what I'm saying ;)

3. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    True, Universal apps do crank up the file size. Apple should implement a way where buying an app gives you a choice between normal or HD, similar to how buying a movie or something on iTunes gives you the choice between SD and HD.

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    In a perfect world, all apps would be universal.

5. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    Indeed. :D

Well, I don't expect perfection, but near-perfection would be nice. :p

6. Applefan

Applefan Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    student
    I just got one device and this doesn't matter much for me but I think universal is a better trend.

7. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Universal support for games and apps sounds great, but i'm wondering if there will be some little bad influences to the games and apps themselves or the device itself. Also about the file size,will it be reduced? So I'll check it out first to see if it's really important.

8. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I think its important and increases the appeal of the game/app to me personally. However as mentioned before the major problem with all universal apps is that there is no standard cloud syncing. I wish apple would implement this in gamecenter much along the lines of what steam has done. I started playing battleheart and i love it, but now that i have my new ipad I'm not sure if i want to completely start over.

9. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    Very good point.

This is a huge problem with iOS gaming. We should be able to share our game progress between devices, especially on universal apps.

10. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Fixed it for you ;)

11. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    It's selfish of me, but I really want either Universal or iPad only. I know lots of people love playing games on the iPhone 4 (and older). But after playing on the iPad, and now the iPad 2, I hate going back to the small screen for most games.

I'm also fine with simultaneous release of individual versions. It's the iPad support that I really care about.