Here is an idea. Freemium OR Premium versions of the same game.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I don't know how hard this would be, or if Apple would allow it, but why not have 2 versions of some games? I would love to buy that RCT game, but I don't buy IAP. But I would pay $10 for it if the ratings were good. Why can't there just be 2 versions? Since I don't do IAP, they can't make money from me, or the thousands or millions of people who won't do IAP. Seems like they are leaving money on the table to me.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I think the number of people who do buy IAP is so much more than those who don't, that something like this would just be a waste for a lot of developers. Having to maintain and update two versions of the same game, etc.

That said, there are developers who already do this. Release a paid version and a free ad-supported version where you can pay to remove ads

The two I can think of off the top of my head are Polara and 1001 Attempts

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Game design can be deeply rooted around a freemium model if done properly rather than tacked on, having two versions would be quite a task for smaller developers to bring to release and maintain. There have been a few paid titles go free with IAP purchases but they're not true freemium titles in that they're not going to monetise very well and are typically a last ditch effort at salvaging profit.

4. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    << This.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not this old chestnut !

Firstly not all freemium IAP games are evil. Take a look at Dungeon Quest at the moment which is superb, no paywalls, doesnt push you to buy stuff, if anything i've bought a couple of items as i'm loving the game, had tons of gameplay from it and i want the devs to get some money.

Granted there are some games which have paywalls, are a nightmare. Those sorts of ones i just wait to listen to users reviews on threads.

But simply saying i refuse to play any freemium game which has IAP's is totally ridiculous as like i say there are games out there which are fine freemium games.

Again perhaps if we simply bought games at launch instead of reading so many people begging for promo codes/star bucks codes or waiting for price drops then 'perhaps' we wont have so many freemium titles in the first place

If a game released as a premium price and sold by the bucketload as we all bought it then i doubt it'll ever go freemium. If too many people sit on the fence, dither about and wait for a price drop or a promo code then no wonder devs go the freemium route as that makes money.

6. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I don't think that's the case. I think in reality there are a relatively small number of people who buy IAPs, but some of those will spend such ridiculously huge amounts of money that it offsets it.

7. They did have lites in the old days. Miss them. :eek:

8. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I didn't say I won't play games with IAP. I said I don't buy IAP.