Level editors in iOS games - what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lucky Loot, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Lucky Loot

Lucky Loot Well-Known Member

About a month ago we have released game King Rupert. Now we are going to make a big update and include level editor in it. We keep wondering how people will react to it. We can see that gamers loves to create stuff, there is a lot of easy examples (minecraft, farmville etc.. ).

What about you?
    Do you like creative games? Edit levels? or it is more suitable for PC, than small iPhone/iPod screen?

btw, our editor video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBGbLitP86E

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I love 'em! I'm sad more iPhone games don't use level editors, since tapping seems much more intuitive than methods used on other systems (except maybe PC).

3. Archibalis

Archibalis Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Level editors is good!

I have bought king rupert a few weeks a go and I loved it. Now level editor is coming with update, great news ! :D

I love to play with physics. So many hours spent playing Phun :)
    I already have a few ideas for king rupert :)

Maybe I will try to make small offroad game :D

when update is coming?

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    While many good 2D games have level editors, they are probably impossible for 3D games.

5. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Not impossible but there would have to be a limit to the amount of items you could use, like Halo Reach's Forge mode which uses money to limit the amount of things you can make.

6. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    Love level editors. If you're going to do one, try to find a way to share players' levels with eachother...that's the biggest draw that will make you a huge fanbase: Making levels to try to stump your friends, or gaining notoriety/reputation in a community by putting out quality levels for everyone.

Doom became a phenomenon back in the day due in large part to the ability to create and run other people's maps. Follow their lead!

Your editor looks great, I like the little poof effect when you lay down tiles haha

- Quickdraw

7. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    I love level ediotrs. Unfortunately, theres nothing like a map creator for a fps game on the idevice. If someone did that, i would so buy it, given it was of exceptional quality. Id like to see something like minecraft, only with more realistic building materials, like actual bricks, and not cubes with brick textures. Actual water, too.

8. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    I made a level editor for my 3D crane sim 'the little crane that could'
    It is not out yet, but here is a video:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=128715

I chose to go with 2 separate apps though: free game with paid editor app.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not a fan of level editors, with so many games coming out on iOS every week i tend to dip in and out of games and dont really have any time or want to create new levels.

Perhaps the 'farmville' generation like to but as someone who cant stand that game i'm not into it at all.

Years back level editors were good when games were expensive as you got great value for money for your $20-$40 game but now with games so cheap i tend to complete one game, de-install and move onto the next

10. A11Rabbit

A11Rabbit Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Developer.
    Definitely! :)

11. Nshager

Nshager Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Zija Distributor
    Kentucky, USA
    'Robot wants Kitty' is an example of a game where the level editor / share makes a great game into an awesome game.