iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    The most notable thing about these additions is that they are a basic part of the physical board game, and were initially left out of this version specifically because FFG weren't sure all the fiddly bits would play so well for the digital audience, and because it gave the developers less stuff to have to keep track of for the initial release. I think FFG realised early on just how much they underestimated the players in this regard, though.

The only major feature left in the physical game that doesn't exist in this version is the ability to fight and kill the Ancient One if it wakes up, but people generally seem to agree that this leaving this out isn't a great loss, and is probably preferable from a lore standpoint. ES:O does deal with this in its own way by including "boss battles" of a sort in the expansion campaigns, anyway.

2. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Finding this game quite hard to pick up,but having a blast anyways. Played one mission where i had to get like 6 scrolls to proceed and failed like 5 times in a row decimating my 4 players. The randomness just really hits hard sometimes. I am trying a suggestion in an earlier post to go with 4 random players to get used to all of them, but the only game i won was one where i picked 4 that all generated yellow and red spots to increase my chances of proceeding. Anyone who can direct me to links for beginner guides on the different players, and general advice would be appreciated.

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    The game gets a little easier if you don't play with the max 4 players. I personally have an easier time with two players. Boardgamegeek is probably the best place to find info about the game.

Here's a link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/100423/elder-sign

4. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Okay thanks for the link, i had read that using 2 players coused dooms to generate slower but all i did was die faster :))) will try again after reading up more

5. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    I really don't get it why the game should be easier when playing it with a fewer number of investigator. Would be cool, if you could explain this a little more extensivly!

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #186 LordGek, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Sure, I can try. For me I think it is bit of a logistical issue trying to remember which agent has what or does what and the fact that you can't trade items between agents. With just 1 agent, sure you'd never get a handy assist bonus, but you'll always be guaranteed your 1 agent gets all of the goodies and there will never be any weird wondering, oh, wait, I should use the 3rd agent here and the 1st agent over at the encounter over there.

Since the clock ticks away at the same rate no matter who is taking a turn, it's also a lot simpler to know exactly how many turns agent 1 has before the clock turns 12.

7. vogelmann

vogelmann Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    @LordGek
    Thank you for the explanation. I think, I'm getting the point. But it is so hard to lose an investigator in a two-man-game.

Btw: This game is awesome. Had it on my watchlist for a long time and now I've finally bought it. I won my first game against Yig, but then got totally kicked in the butt by Hastur! It's time for revenge!

8. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, items are the main reason IMO - they make a big difference in the chance of success for an encounter. And the more encounters you win, the more items you get, so it's a self-perpetuating loop. The only reasons to use more than one are for the different skills and having the support from repeating an encounter with another investigator. Of course, some items can provide that support as well, and some other items duplicate some of the invest. skills. So, most of the time using 1 I think works a bit better.

9. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    #189 eugenemcardle, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Elders Sign: Omens updated to x64

This app is now 64bit compatible, but Australia store still shows as 32bit, hence I’m unable to download it to my ios11 ipad#

EDIT After a reboot and sign out then in to store it now downloads on ios11##

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    If you like this game, you'll freaking love pathfinder adventure card game.