iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I really hope the devs bring Close Combat to iOS - I remember fondly playing the first couple of games when it was under Atomic. I always thought these were the most realistic (and fun) real time strategy games, unlike those Dunes, Warcrafts, Starcrafts, etc. Seeing units panic and run away was always tremendous and made you feel like in charge of REAL units. Later on in my life, I was actually a platoon sergeant and I participated in combat, so I even now appreciate the CC series more than before for what it tried to do and did better than any of the others.

So I'm also rooting for Battle Academy in hope that Slitherine think it's worth their while to bring CC to iPads- seems like a terrific fit.

2. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Bought a copy for the Mac as promised last night in anticipation of the Retina update getting approved soon. :) And if it looks as good as I'm hoping, I'll grab the IAP campaigns on the iPad too.

This will make BA the most expensive App I have by far. And as it's still holding onto my interest with a good grip, I'd say it was money well spent in spite of my earlier fears.

Now about Close Combat on the iPad... :)

3. DodgeV83

DodgeV83 Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Can someone give me a brief overview of what the multiplayer is like? I just read a review from a few years ago, that said there is no incentive to do anything else besides defend in multiplayer, as there are no real objectives or time limit. Is that true still?

4. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Any chance that this will be available for iPhone in the future? I'd love to have this amazing game completely mobile.

5. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    We don't have any plans to go to iPhone unfortunately - mainly because we think the UI would be too fiddly and small. If it wot be greg we don't want to do it. We're not interested in doing a cut down version just to cash in ;)

<Multiplayer has a range of objectives. Some are pure destroy the enemy scenarios - defending is not really a great plan as the attacked has initiative and concentrate force. Defending always means you are reacting. Versus a weak opponent the defensive advantage overcomes this but against a good player you dont want to lose initiative.

My favourite type of scenario involves control points. You get a point per try per control point incentivising grabbing as many as you can as early as you can, so again defending really isn't an option. There are other objectives too.

Multiplayer is really unique and has to be tried to really understand how cool it is :)

6. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    The Retina support update is out now!

Hi guys

the update has been approved for release and is now available!

Here is what is new in the update:

+ added retina support for stunning high resolution

+ shows the ground objects on the iPad 3

Other bug fixes:

+ fixed a bug where you could not start custom MP map games from the iPad
    + a tweaked rotation and zoom for smoother action
    + a tweaked UI to make rotation, zoom, and drag clearer
    + upped double tap timings to help out slower-fingered players
    + should solve issue with display corruption during startup (purely cosmetic).

Please remember to rate the game again after the update and write new reviews, even if you copy and paste your old review! It really helps to get the word out about the game and allows us to contune to support it!

Just looking at it for the 1st time on my new iPad 3. The text is so crisp it's lovely :) The detail on the maps is awesome. I love my new iPad :)

7. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Ok, that's just amazing! It's just like looking at a miniature version of my iMac now. Everything is incredibly sharp and clear, and as good as it looked before, it's an order of magnitude better now. :)

iMac, iPad 2, iPad 3:

[​IMG]

Can't see the differences in that poor pic, but they're there. Very, very there.

And the zoom and rotate function better than I hoped, and it's dead simple to position the camera perfectly now. Thanks for the update!

Now to go get the expansion campaigns...

8. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I've got to say the iPad 3 update totally transforms the game (even the fps of the firing animations seem to be far higher). Well done slitherine....if only close combat follows your example!

9. Werechihuahua

Werechihuahua Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Eternal labors
    Pensacola, FL
    $700 game

Great, now I have to buy a new iPad. Thanks so much.

But seriously, thanks for making a real game on iPad and not a half-assed, stripped out, dumbed down 'mobile' cash grab edition. You bring Real Games to me and I will not only buy and enjoy them... But I will trumpet the glory of gaming goodness to the hills and tell all the peeps.

And I want to know how in the heck a 15mm Besa MG on a Guy armoured car penned and killed my 8 Rad from 5 squares out. Depleted uranium slugs? Ricochet off open hatch through commander into driver who then crashed? Grrrr.

Ready for the Ostfront and Pacific war now. Get cracking!

10. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Taking the plunge, this is the most expensive app i'll be buying and her's hoping i don't get burn with a sale after 2 months

11. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Ok folks after reading this thread and the combat mission touch one, it prompted me to A) sign up for the forums here and join the community, plus B) buy Battle Academy.

I'm a WWII history nut but never played much rts at all growing up. I spent the 20 bucks because it sounded like this game would be up my alley and a good place to start learning.

My problem so far is that the tutorial in this game barely teaches me anything, and now that I'm in the first mission Im really not sure what to even do. Ive got two tanks and two new vehicles that I think are carrying troops but with no obvious way to deploy them. My tanks shots routinely miss the mark and I have no idea what type of strategy is necessary to be successful.

Any tips for learning how to play from the vets out there? Thanks for any help and I'm looking forward to joining up on this and other forum discussions. I spent a lot of time when I was younger on console gaming sites but my gaming time these days is limited to ios and this seems to be the place to be.

-mike

12. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    The tooltips over your order will provide details on how likely you are to hit a target (or penetrate its armour). At this stage of the war, you're not likely to hit much from long range :). You should also bear in mind that firing after moving, or at a moving target reduces the chance to hit.

To deploy troops from your Bren Carriers, simply tap on an adjacent tile and select the unload button.

In general you will need to use combined arms tactics - in this desert mission, as is mentioned in the tutorial, your tanks cannot see into cover and so you will need to screen them with infantry to flush out any hidden defenders.

Cheers

Pip

13. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Guys I created a multiplayer challenge 'armoured showdown' for anybody who wants to try mp out my password is toucharcade . Please note that I am a Novice player to this series ;)

14. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I'd add that one doesn't need to put a password for a game unless you are (e.g.) wanting to play a specific person. Generally just leave the password field blank and you will then be making a public challenge that anyone can accept.

Just pointing it out as I had a poster on the Slitherine forums who thought that perhaps it wasn't clear what passwording a game did.

Cheers

Pip

15. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Cool i'll look forward to playing you, it will be a learning experience :)

16. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Are you able to draw troops out from the rocks and buildings? They seem not to move

17. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Great work on the Retina update; looks amazing and the gameplay is still excellent. Highly recommended.

18. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I've been following this thread for while and after reading the comments decided to take the plunge and download it. I admire the devs stand on the price as from what I can make out it's a full blown port of the pc/mac game and at more than half the price as well. Hope my time playing laser squad (back in the day that one!) and advance wars puts me in good stead for this.
    One question I do have is how come none of the big IOS sites (touch arcade, touch gen, slide to play and 148apps) have not reviewed this game?
    All I need now is to find the time to play this sucker!!

19. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    The honest answeer is that we are new to iOS gaming and that we dont have the contacts built up that we do with the PC and Mac press. We'd love to get covered on teh right sites but are still working out what they are!

If everyone lists the sites they refer to when making iOS purchasing decisions it will help us make sure our database and contacts are updated and we build relationships with these guys.

Any cross posting to forum on these sites by you guys obviously is great in raising the awareness of the game.

20. perricoach

perricoach Member

Apr 3, 2012
    I still suck, I really have no idea what I'm doin wrong, but its a sweet looking game and I do look forward to figuring out what to do. Can anyone suggest a good wiki or guide? I seriously have no clue how to effectively fight these troops and forts with my troops and tanks. Thanks for any help.