Fans of Freemium Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stormourner, Feb 4, 2014.

1. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Been playing 3.

Avengers Alliance
    Hello Hero
    Brave Frontier

All 3 are standard rpg as far as fighting goes. But all 3 have some sort of arena based pvp, which is something I have always wanted in an rpg. Stack my team vs your team.

Hello hero has the most support, with devs constantly giving you free items, energy, etc.

Avengers Alliance has the least support, but the most ways to get premium currency for free, and with their giveaways, they render the timers useless.

Just started Brave Frontier, but it easily has the most heroes available. No idea how their iaps work.

2. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Yes. Yes you do.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I liked Hello Hero too, actually. Not immensely but enough to have played it for a short while. What's great about it is that anybody with -enough time- can get the best stuff in the game without paying a single cent. The game practically throws the premium currency at you. Unfortunately, it's a huge gamble on getting top tier recruits. As an added bonus, lots of fellow Filipinos are hardcore HH players so I can chat in Filipino. I quit though because I already tasted a little bit of end game and RNG just wasn't on my side.

Brave Frontier's actually very good for its kind. I love that you can select targets and battles have that flash combo feature for perfectionists. I forcibly quit because I initiated a battle that crashed every time this one enemy attacked.

Haven't tried Avengers Alliance.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Well said, I totally agree.

5. florhackson

Nov 18, 2010
    If you try aa, you should follow guides, on how to do most things, it will make your experience much mire pleasurable. And follow the thread here on Toucharcade, we are up to 4800 posts and have a pretty supportive group of guys

6. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  7. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    oh lawl!!! X'D

8. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    ^
    The horror! :)

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Still think it would be 'easy' to stop. If people simply didnt spend a fortune on IAP's then companies would stop creating more and more freemium games.

But to be fair when many apps are a dollar or two devs obviously have to sell tons to make a decent return, specially after paying say a team of 10 devs/graphic artists for months on end (they're not cheap). Freemium games can give you a lot of money via IAP's. You never hear someone saying 'i'll wait for a price drop on this iAP....' they simply buy it.

Another huge problem are cheapskates. People wait for promo codes (theres users here who simply beg for promo codes 24/7) and people who wait for a price drop. A price drop ! The games only 2 dollars, just buy it !!!

Like i say 'we' (users) are to blame, people moan about freemium yet we must be in the minority as many people spend tons on IAP's. The others (as you can tell here by a fair few) just want price drop after price drop. 'Oh no the games $3 !! i'll wait for a price drop....' you hear time and time again. Shame

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I enjoy freemium games from time to time. I usually play till I'm satisfied and get bored...then I'll delete. The latest one I'm into is Book of Heroes, which I may actually try to finish the story.

12. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #32 Rip73, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    That's not an article on the gaming industry, its an article on Dungeon Keeper.
    Taking one example as the standard and using it to vilify the rest is not exactly a balanced judgement on the industry as a whole.

While EA is certainly the current king of timers and massively overpriced iap that represents the worst the industry has to offer, there are multiples more that represent doing it right and somebody previously mentioned a good example in Foursaken Media.

There is also a better way than offering imbalanced examples and raging against iap and freemium, just don't download them or play them.

Gameloft made substantial changes to Iron Man 3 based on the back of people's rejection of the more extreme timer elements and made Asphalt 8 freemium without adding timers, changing the reward system or making cars premium currency only.
    Hutch games changed Smash Bandits when people stopped playing.
    Foursaken always seem to get it right.
    And many more examples.

Iap and freemium is here to stay, of that there is no doubt, but the best thing people can do is to support the models that do it right and simply ignore the ones that don't, no matter how good they look.

So get Bug Heroes 2 when it comes out and simply delete Dungeon Keeper.

The number of downloads and daily/weekly/monthly players are two of the key elements that developers and publishers watch so let those numbers do the talking for you.

And as PSJ said, just buy the games, forget about this wait for price drop rubbish, because developers do have overheads and investment costs to cover as well.
    And for Gods sake, if the game is freemium but balanced, just buy some bloody iap. The more people play free games and buy nothing, the more paywalls have to be put in to just try and make a return on it.
    So if the game offers you something and is entertaining, don't just sit there and play for free for months, buy something, however small. Show that a return can be made without having to put that wall in place in order to make that return and we might see an improvement.

13. Yeah, thank god Asphalt 8 didn't put in timers. Alright Gameloft!

14. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's so true.

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Just seen the highest IAP yet, for farm heroes saga... $120+ now that is ridiculous!

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

17. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Oh.. I forgot to add.. that article on the horror of freemium apps was written by the “Founder of Baekdal” “Subscribe for $9/month
    Baekdal PLUS: Premium content…” ;)

18. florhackson

Nov 18, 2010
    Because of the majority of people posting here or on other gaming sites, were more than likely gamers before the invention of the smart phone. That has all changed. People are being introduced into games from their smart phones and they just don't understand.

The majority of the people posting on the Avengers Alliance thread have paid 10 and lower is my guess. But they've had prior experience, they understand how to follow guides, how min/max, how to stay competitive in a freemium game without spending money. People whose first exposure to gaming probably don't have everything I said. They see people doing great, and they want to compete.

And then you have the 12-18 year olds who have zero ability to understand spending.