Games DL'd vs. games you actually play?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    How many games have you downloaded, and how many do you still play?

I have the 16gb mini, and have had it since it came out.... I have downloaded about 100 games, but find myself playing only the same 4 - 5 games all the time. Part of that is that I can't be bothered playing games that I can't just pick up and play.

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have over 200 apps (mainly games) and find myself only playing one or two a week (max, only casually)

The trouble is... The AppStore is over-saturated with many varieties of decent games and cr@p. Then you have a site like TA that showcase many and the on-going promotions.

You end up downloading like a maniac! I wish AppStore had less releases (all good quality titles) that way we can spend time actually playing rather than getting bogged down.

I don't have enought time to sit & play. If I do... It's mainly on the console. But a few barely 30 minutes on a mobile game. To be honest, I use mobile gaming for a quick fix. I don't think I'll ever complete games the way things are going in the apple store market!

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Probably about 10% on iOS, 30% on Steam and 80% on PSN

4. Oceraux

Oceraux Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Philippines
    Yeah, you wanna play but you can't, then ask yourself "what the - is wrong with me?" games like Zombie Highway, MC4..

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Exactly! too much mind-overload. Right now.. we have Asphalt 8 on offer.. no space on iPhone ;), Dead Effect taking spot.. and many others great indie titles out there + hidden gems.. too much. I give up!

App store is a gift and a curse.

6. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Great thread! There are a few people I hope will join this conversation, because I'd love to read their thoughts...

Downloaded = 2000+

Play "regularly" = 4-ish

Bear in mind, some of my downloads were from back in the day when I thought the Promo thread was cool, a significant number of them were unsolicited promos from devs wanting me to check out their product, and a significant number were games gone free that hadn't caught my eye previously.

An example of this would be the "Alex: Mayan Mysteries" title. Didn't think much of it upon first view, but ended up getting it free and am enjoying it enough that I intend to gift it.

Further, although I actively play relatively few, there are about 10 that I do the "daily whatever" for, and will sometime play a bit on a whim.

An example of this would be the horribly broken Call of Mini: Double Shot by Triniti. Like most of their stuff, the game seems to get more broken by the day, but the premise is pretty sweet if they ever decide to actually fix it instead of merely adding more IAPs with each "update," so I keep doing the daily thing in the hope that it gets repaired... I know, right, hope springs eternal. lol

In summary, these days I have absolutely no hope of ever finishing fully 90% of the games I OWN, let alone new ones I might acquire... lol

DBC

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #7 tops2, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    I was crazy download happy for ~2 years after getting the iPod touch 4. The past ~1.5 years, I think I hit my point where I'm tired of most of these games on the iOS.

I've cut down a lot of downloads..and tend to try out games of genres I used to not be into. The latest being Terraria..I used to not like these games, but find Terraria to be really fun so far still. I've gotten into pinball games too, which I used to not being into.

Now a days, I don't have a backlog as I play one or two games to completion (or until I get sick of it) and move on. I've started to not care about sales for games that I didn't have much interest in since I've noticed I'll play them for 10 minutes and then delete. I have ~3-4 games on my Appshopper wish list..which is my queue of games to pick up next after I complete the 1-2 games I'm working on.

Maybe my taste in games is changing or I'm slowly getting tired of some genres? Not sure... Or maybe I'm getting old? lol... But of course, I spend way more time browsing various forums and gaming websites than actually playing games. ;-P

8. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    #8 one.sixty.four, Sep 13, 2013
    I have 1600 apps stored on my iMac, and probably around 400 installed across all my devices.

9. tzuptzop

tzuptzop Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    #9 tzuptzop, Sep 13, 2013
    +100 installed
    just 4-5 playin on the go, &one is gridlee/mame

only games i recently finished(+fully upgraded-items,level) are ibII, jack&jill, deus ex, dh4 &injustice - after that stopped playing these games

the app store has 2many apps/games and only 5% really worth to play

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    There's far too much repetition on iOS and too much junk, but there are games I always come back to. Mostly board/euro-card games. And Pinball Arcade (though I'm playing that mostly on Vita and PS3 now). Some other stuff. I do download too many games that go free and then I never touch. Some of them might be good but I have no idea because I never seem to get around to them.

Since getting a Vita I play games on iOS a lot less, but the ones above still get played.

Now I'll go back to playing Spelunky on my Vita....

11. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Someone mentioned pinball. I love real pinball machines but I don't like an iOS pinball games on my mini. I like Terraria ( sp? ) more than any other similar style game.... I keep buying them, thinking I will like them, but in the end, I don't like them nearly enough to have justified even $5. I still play GeoDefense, which is probably a game I have had for 4 years on my iTouch, but just recently found was available for the mini. I must hav played that game 2000 times, even though it never changes.

I play both kingdom rush games pretty often. I think I would love Baldur's Gate if I bought it, but $10 is too much when I keep reading that the controls are awful. I loved that game on the PC.

12. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I used to keep a few hundred apps on my hard drive. I had to really scale back and actually played with most of them deleted a nice amount after trying them.

Right now about 40 apps on my device and would be a bit higher once I get my new device. And I'm back up to 200 or so apps kept for that new device.

13. Emotive

Emotive Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Great White North
    I tend to play all the games I've downloaded, abet not that many though.

14. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I have 474 apps on my iPhone right now - which is about typical for me. I do try every app I download, but most don't even make it a minute before I delete them.

And yeah I only actually play a small amount of them. At the moment it's PVZ2 and Joining Hands on my iPhone and PVZ2 and Magic 2013 on my iPad.