iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Every action earns about equally, I think. The only exception is when you land the killing blow on an enemy-- you get about twice the XP and a little more JP.

Also! You get JP and XP from attacking your own teammates. I bought a ton of potions and I just have my people whacking each other endlessly. :D

From the map screen, menu >> Party Roster >> Menu >> Job
    There's a difference between character level and job level...

2. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Graphics aren't the only thing that factors in here. The PSP version had major slowdown issues, and it definitely was not because of the graphics. The lack of support is probably due to lag.

Of course, they could fix the lag, but that would take much more effort and time.

3. arrrarrr

arrrarrr Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I wouldn't call Secret of Mana a substandard port. All the background tiles that make up the graphics have been re-drawn in higher resolution. Many of the sprites are in a slightly higher-than-SNES resolution. The menus have new artwork. There are lighting effects on the water and some new animations like a water ripple. The color pallet is much higher and the game is in widescreen. The autosave helps a lot. I was under the impression it was no different than the SNES game, it doesn't look a whole lot different at first glance and the character portraits are low-res. But I wouldn't call it substandard IMO. It didn't get the full FF1&2 treatment but those are actually PSP ports (and run better on the PSP although I prefer having them on my phone). It's still cheaper than the Wii VC version which is a straight-up emulation.

FFT is a pretty deep game. The lack of retina support doesn't necessarily mean it should support all devices (SFIV Volt doesn't either). Menus and cut scenes aside, the core of the game is a PS1 emulator. PSP's resolution is similar to 3GS. Re-drawing the art assets would require porting the original and starting from scratch. I doubt that such a project would've been greenlit. Maybe, just maybe though if it sells well enough they will do just that. I'm just happy to have it on my phone since it's always with me.

4. faehnlak

faehnlak Member

May 27, 2009
    VERY crash-y on iPad2 running iOS 4.3.3

Probably crashes 10x per hour of gameplay. Functionally, it's not a problem because of how autosave has been implemented, but it's a royal (ha!) pain.

I guess I should have waited for the privilege of paying more for the HD version.

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    We don't know for certain that the HD version will be more expensive. If you have an iPad 2, why in the world would one buy a version of the game that is running at 480x320 and isn't optimized for the iPad?

6. BridgeS

BridgeS Member

Apr 4, 2011

I'll hand SE 16$ when they remake FF6 and actually give a $hit about it. It's a port of a port, and the effort isn't there. Provide me with something different that I can't play on a laptop emulator and I'll give you $30.

7. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    SE could you remove those borders from top and bottom of the screen?

8. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Sure, as long as you don't mind losing the content from the left and right edges of the screen.

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Quite disappointed by this port.
    Have been waiting for ages to finally earning this...
    Im playing on a 3rd gen Itouch, and thats not really enjoyable, way too much slowdowns, even worse than Psp.
    I mean, Square have delayed the game again and again, pretending to fix the lagg and whatever... and finally we got this? WOW. Just wondering what kind of crap that would be if they realeased it the first time.

The game is so good, thats just a shame they totally fuked this port.

10. CDelle

CDelle New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I too am very disappointed in this port. It feels like the whole thing was slapped together and rushed out the door. Slowdowns (on an iPhone 4), poor UI, blurry text, cumbersome menus, and my absolute least favorite thing of all so far: Save issues!!

Please tell me, for the love of god, why can I not load a save game from the main menu??? I died on the 3rd mission and all I want to do is load my save from before I started it, but I was booted back to the main menu and when I go to continue, it takes me to the last move I made before I died. The only way I can think of to load my game is to start the WHOLE GAME OVER, play through the first two missions (not to mention get through all the non-skippable dialogue) until I unlock the world map so that I can access my save games, which takes around 20 minutes or so. Really??? I am incredibly frustrated right now, to say the least.

Seriously, I'm a huge Square and FFT fan and I've been patiently awaiting this release for over a year and when it finally comes out and i fork over a premium $16 I'm greeted with these ridiculous issues. And looking at Square's track record for patches and updates, I figure I'm going to be waiting a long time for these issues to be fixed, if they even do get fixed, which wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

11. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You actually can, but chalk this up to another half-assed rushed thing: When you hit Continue at the main menu, it wants to load the autosave by default, so you have to cancel that, then, and only then, do you get taken to your list of manual saves. The dialog in no way suggests this, but there you go, more examples of their "optimization for the iPhone experience".

12. BadKarma

BadKarma Member

Jul 27, 2011
    The only problem I have with this is some of the touch features, when selecting tiles specifically. Besides that, this is perfect. There are absolutely no slowdown issues for me. I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about. Even on my original copy of FFT (Non-Greatest Hits Copy), the only time I EVER noticed slowdown was during the narration dialogue leading into chapters and such.

13. CDelle

CDelle New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you SO MUCH. I feel better now. Still pissed at this half-assed port though.

14. calendor

calendor New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Well after a day of playing it, i can conccur this is a very poor quality port of one of my favourite games.

The text and spites are blurry, the lag on my iphone 4 is getting a major nuisance, the touch controls are not well done, the menu's have clearly not been ported for the iphone at all, selecting tiles is a pain unless you like spending 5 clicks getting the right tile, and to top it off i have had 2 crashes on my iphone4 now.

There is no love at all gone into this port, its sloppy, laggy, poor quality, crashes, poor controls. Do not buy FFT on here, get it on the PS1 or PSP and ejoy one of the best games ever.

Clearly a money grab port.

/mega disapointed.

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If you're having trouble selecting people, the sweet spot is just above the unit. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but once you get the hang of it, it works.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, I've put in about 6 hour into the game and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it -- I've been so engrossed as to barely notice the time passing. Perhaps my reaction is far more positive than some of the "mega-disappontment" on display here because I never expected SE to "adapt" the game to the iPhone, since they never adapted it to the PSP (hence the blurry and stretched graphics); all I expected was for them to handle the controls and UI as well as with FF1 and FF2, which they did. I also expected them to implement a save system that works on a portable device and to support multitasking: check and check In fact, just those last two items make this version infinitely preferable to the PSP one.

Of course it would have been great if SE had recoded the game from the ground up for iPhone, redrawn all the sprites, and redesigned the entire user interface to work ideally on a touch screen. But there was no way in hell that was going to happen -- and anyone who thought so strikes me as being pretty naive. Luckily, all it takes is a bit of tolerance and flexibility to enjoy this fantastic game on my favorite gaming device.

17. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    ^ same here!

It's definately not a perfect port but I am enjoying the game every minute none the less!

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I started a thread in General Game Discussions if you have any thoughts on Ch. 1.

19. Gemütlichkeit

Gemütlichkeit Active Member

Oct 5, 2010
    I am staying away from all square iPhone ports.

20. kcbc

kcbc Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I was curious so loaded up Rebirth of Fortune. Unfortunately not as deep of game as FFT. The combat flow, interface and graphics just seem so much better. And the game is a year old.

I hope SE is embarrassed and puts some polish on a classic