Recommend games with a more serious/clean style to it ? - Example: Air Hockey

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Acumen, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    So within the last few weeks/months I've been collecting lots and lots of references of a wide range of Comical Casual Mobile Games out there.
    Since obviously these are liked by many gamers out there, one might think it can only be good to go in the same direction. Bright colors, very stylized toony characters and environment - I love stuff like that too :)

However there always was one particular example that did very well on the stores and yet didn't have any birds, pandas, cute smiley faces in it. And still it was no card, sudoku, words or board game.
    I guess what I try to search is a game that is dynamic, moving and interactive, yet it keeps a more serious/realistic style approach, but manages to stay on the casual side - simple to grasp, addictive gameplay.

So all this blabbering comes down to the question(s):

1) Can you recommend games in a similar style/approach, that you played/developed/heard of and enjoyed ?
    2) Is there a special search term for games in that style ?
    3) Any sites dedicated to more "serious" casual games ?

As you can see, I kinda have a hard time explaining this properly, so I included a picture of the mentioned game I enjoyed its clean, realistic style a lot :)

This game:
    [​IMG]

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

So you want a casual game that's serious looking? You could always try our game Backlash if you want a casually serious puzzle game, hahaha. Otherwise, I don't know of too many of what you're looking for.

3. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi there
    Can I recommend my game PinPon, and the two player version PinPon Duel, which is similar to air hockey? Clean interface, fluid gameplay, hours of fun.
    I will be releasing a massive update to PinPon in the next week or so.
    I hope it is what you are looking for.

PinPon
    PinPon Duel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Yeh, these look like two good examples, good cross promotion for you guys :)
    Saved for inspiration. PinPon looks just like what I was looking for. Let me know, if you are aware of more games in this style :)

5. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Thanks very much
    That Backlash games does look pretty cool
    I will have to check it out

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Thanks! Enjoy