Legal App Store Emulators

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CoolTech, Aug 22, 2010.

1. CoolTech

CoolTech New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Are there any good emulators on the app store? There was a discussion on some Commodore 64 app on Touch Arcade earlier, so I hoped more apps like it were being made.

2. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    There is a C64 emulator on the app store. :p

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I remember reading an article about the ZX Spectrum on the App Store too.

4. Commodore 64, Intellivision (though there is debate if these are really emulated, and the controls aren't very good) and Chip8 are the only ones I know of that are confirmed legal and licensed. (Well, Chip8 and all its games are freeware, no license required.)

There have been a few that have passed through the App Store that got pulled for one reason or another. ZX Nostalgia was a pretty good Spectrum emulator that contained over a dozen games, but none of them licensed, so it got pulled. There was a crappy Spectrum emulator that was an unlicensed port of a crappy Java one that also allowed you to side-load snaps. And the infamous Nescaline, which also allowed side-loading.

Manomio and Kiloo will becoming out with a legal, licensed Amiga emulator soon.

5. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Dont forget the Sega games most of them are emulated