iPhone Forbidden Island

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks Sean,
    So it might come at some point. I see what you say about the lack of online multiplayer support, but I think the game would be great fun to play solo on the iPhone /iPod. I play it all the time in SP mode with two or three characters on the iPad, and I love it that way.
    I think I'm not the only one in this regard.
    Keep up the good work,
    Fimb

2. That's a good point regarding solo play. In fact, that's how I play it on the iPad most of the time as well. We'll definitely keep the iPhone/iPod in mind as we plan our future updates.

Thanks!
    - Sean

3. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    Hi, downloaded the update today, but seems iAP of the extra 10 islands doesn't work. When I try to buy, no button is working (stays grayed and inactive).

So, what's happening?

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Earlier, I sent an email to the dev noting the same issue. Hopefully they'll reply soon.

5. Stejay

Stejay New Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Oh, cool, didn't realise new islands where being worked on. I look forward to trying them out once the problems are fixed.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    IAP can sometimes take an hour or two before its available on all the iTunes servers

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yes, but that would result in an error message, not a inoperative button within the app...

8. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    It looks like there's a glitch that's not allowing IAP. Hope there's a fix soon, the new maps look awesome.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I depends on the implementation of the button.

The IAP is not even shown on the AppStore page for Forbidden Island.

If the app attempts to call on the ITunes servers before activating the button (which is what it should be doing) well... It's getting nothing cause iTunes doesn't show that there is IAP for this app.

If the IAP was on the server but not available, like when we get that damn "still being modified" error, then the button would be available but we'd get some kind of error when attempting to actually purchase it

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've seen cases where the paired IAP, submitted with the update doesn't show up for ANOTHER WEEK...it's all up to the Gods of Apple. Usually the connected IAPs show up within 24 hours, but not always.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Very true!

Sometimes IAP is treated as a separate app that needs to be reviewed. I'm not sure what makes the distinction since generally that content is already in the core app and simply needs to be unlocked.

Is anyone planning on grabbing it ASAP? I like the layouts but just by looking at the new shapes I'm not sure they warrant more than a dollar or two. More than that and I'll be passing

12. bgribin

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I think the new maps are genius and I'm looking forward to trying them out. We own the Forbidden Island board game but the app's new maps are something we don't have - or can't even get - with the physical copy of the game. I think this is a great move and hope it works out for the devs. I'd be thrilled to see more of this from other board game ports.

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Here's an email from ButtonMash:

"I'm sorry that the Buy Islands button wasn't working this morning. There was a snag in the developer site and it prevented the in-app purchase from being enabled. It should be coming online anytime now, though.

"The price [for the IAP] is $0.99. With the extra programming effort, we figured it was fair. We're also planning Retina Display and online multiplayer updates for the future that will be free."

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Well that's good news cause it means I can stop mashing the AppStore to refresh the page. I'll definitely be grabbing the IAP too since they're absolutely right it was a fair price, especially since they include one for free so we can see if we like the variations.

Online multiplayer would be fantastic! Retina I'm not too worried about because of great the game still looks.

15. Felonious Tub

Felonious Tub Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I just checked then and the button works, you can pick up the extra maps for 99 cents now. If you like the game, it's a must buy.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Wouldn't online multiplayer require voice chat or at least text chat? It wouldn't be much of a co-op game without being able to strategize with your partners. Voice chat seems more practical for the game itself.

i have this game for a few weeks or so, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Need to.

17. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I did as well. While I still wish this game did a bit more in tracking single player statistics (not just achievements but my win/loss rate on each island/difficulty), I think these new maps might offer up some interesting gameplay variety. Like that Bridge map! You had best keep that narrow strip of land all shored up as a top priority since once a gap opens up anywhere along the bridge, all but the diver and helicopter pilot will be SOL. :)

18. bgribin

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Bought! Looking forward to playing these new maps.

19. Sorry for the delay with the island pack, everyone!

As soon as I realized that it hadn't been properly enabled, I worked as quickly as I could to get it working. I'm glad to see it's available now.

Cheers,
    - Sean

20. We definitely agree that communication is key for a co-operative game like Forbidden Island. We're still very early in development for online multiplayer, but we really like the idea of voice chat in the game. It might be a bit of a battery hog, but you can't beat it for intuitiveness. We'll have to see where the development takes us, though.

Best Regards,
    - Sean