Beat This! - a competitive minigame collection

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pocoelmono, May 22, 2014.

1. pocoelmono

pocoelmono New Member

May 22, 2014
    Artist/Animator
    Los Angeles
    #1 pocoelmono, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hey all! I'm here to introduce a game called Beat This! It's not a game per se, but rather a platform for smaller games in which you can challenge your friends. It has a robust user interface where you can find games, challenge your friends (or strangers), chat with them, and track your stats.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So far we have four minigames, with many more on the way. All the games play out in three rounds, each increasing in difficulty and point value, and the goal is to score more points than your opponent.

Bird Down: Starring Twitch the bird! Tap to flap, tilt to move left and right, and avoid the missiles!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Birds on a Pole: Starring Twitch and Twinkle! Two birds, one pole. Lots of missiles. Tap the two sides of the screen to keep both birds out of trouble.

Jungle Glide: Starring our main man, Otto the gorilla! Zipline down a jungle vine, tapping to avoid obstacles and collect goodies.

Dragon Fish: Starring Olaf the dragonfish! A classic game of Snake, except we're not limited to 90 degree angles. Eat fish to grow longer, but don't hit the sides or yourself!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for taking a look, guys. We'll be keeping this thread updated with more information as it comes.

We are also interested in beta testers! If you would like to participate, please PM TA user triggerhappylabs (Mikael) with your request.

If you have any questions, my name is James, and also present are my fellow developers:

Sven Magnus
    Concept, game design, programming, music, additional graphics, security, database and server management

Mikael Tyrsen
    Creative direction, game design, menu design and implementations, marketing

James Sparkman (me!)
    Character designs, graphics, animations

2. Krisjet

Krisjet Active Member

May 12, 2014
    The idea of building a social platform for people to challenge each other is interesting, it's like all these Quiz apps, only with "real" games instead. Will all the games be developed in-house, or are you hoping to open it up later on if the platform is successful?

3. Beat This - Sven

Beat This - Sven New Member

May 23, 2014
    Hi,

We currently don't have any plans for opening it up, though we are not ruling it out. But we have no shortage of game ideas, so we will keep adding new ones.

The closed beta - for which we're still looking for testers - will have 5 games, and we will release a public beta (Canada) with 6 games. The real release version will have 8 to 10 games.

We will post some new screenshots and artwork here soon.

4. triggerhappylabs

triggerhappylabs Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    We have a feedback section in the app were we welcome feedback and new game ideas.

5. Beat This - Sven

May 23, 2014
    Here is another screenshot, from the game "Birds On A Pole".

[​IMG]

6. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi this looks pretty unique please don't give up on this idea! ^-^
    I am a iPad Mini first gen 7.1.1 and would love to be a beta tester if you need more, I am not sure if you use testflight ?
    The games look crisp and well done
    Minimum ios version?

What pushed the thought to make this game?
    Do you and your team play ?

7. triggerhappylabs

triggerhappylabs Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words. We are definitely not giving up on this one, as a matter of fact we are wrapping up our private beta as we speak.

We do use TestFlight and if you can go a head and PM me your e-mail address I will send you an invitation to our private beta team.

Minimum os version is iOS 7 for now but hopefully in the near future we will be able to support iOS 6 as well.

/Mikael

8. Beat This - Sven

May 23, 2014
    I can answer this. I had the idea for this game back in 2012. It was in fact inspired by Draw Something - I liked the social aspect of that app, but I wanted to do multiple minigames.

I made 4 different versions of the app before, but was never happy with the result, so I stopped each time. But I showed the previous version to Mikael - who is great at UI design - and he offered to help me turn the app into something truly awesome. He then brought in James to work on the game art.

I am very happy with the results. It has taken a lot of time and effort, but we're almost there now.

As for whether we are playing - off course :)

9. Beat This - Sven

May 23, 2014
    #9 Beat This - Sven, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    Hi,

Due to a trademark issue, we had to change the name of our project. It is now called Tap To Play, and we will be creating a new thread about it soon. This thread can be closed if needed.

Our private beta went well and we received mostly positive feedback. We will soon be releasing a public beta, limited to some countries.

We have improved the visuals of all our games a lot. There's now 6 finished games, and 2 more that just need some graphics.

Edit : Almost forgot, we could still use some more beta testers. If you are interested, please PM me.