Universal ChemCaper: Act I - Petticles in Peril, an RPG built on Chemistry

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ace EdVenture Studio, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015

ChemCaper: Act I - Petticles in Peril

What if your world came crashing down, and You. Weren’t. There.

Roub Idyum, a young Moon Being, is charged with searching for his civilization's lost deity, Xenon. He gets thrown into the lush world of Camp Ungku upon rumors that a glowing, mysterious being was there.

Having crash landed on the banks of sunny Camp Ungku, he is polarized into a cloudy search for answers, bearing the unnerving uncertainty of his parents’ fate as news of attacks on his homeland, Reac Ta, crash upon his conscience. Something sinister has turned the friendly Petticles into vicious scheming creatures, aiding its motivation attacking the Moon Beings indiscriminately.

Young, pampered Roub now bears the weight of his world on his shoulders to demystify the conundrum that riddles it and its beings, whether he knows it or not.

About the game

ChemCaper: Act I - Petticles in Peril
    is the first RPG to bridge mainstream gaming and Chemistry, engaging players on a platform they know and love - video games!

Key features:

- Get to know the different types of chemical bonds with the Petticles, in-game companions that will help fight Roub's battles.
    - Craft potions with real-life apparatus - Heal up! Get stronger! Move faster! Roub's going to need them to survive the wilderness of ChemCaper.
    - Music by Norihiko Hibino, award-winning composer of the Metal Gear Solid and Bayonetta series.
    - Experience Chemistry through an adventure! With a world built from scratch based off its concepts and the Periodic Table.

What people are saying

"ChemCaper is educational the way Civilization is educational. It won't teach you the subject directly; instead, fun is given top priority and the educational foundation on which it's based just permeates every aspect of the game. It's an education-laced supplement to life rather than an attempt at digitizing textbooks for those kids and their play-a-ma-jigs." - Indie Games

"An intriguing game with some fantastic looking artwork and core gameplay that looks set to bridge the gap between education and entertainment, making something that really does make learning fun." - Alpha Beta Gamer

"The game is very polished with great music and graphics. I also love the crafting system, which is cleverly named and designed after the periodic table. The battle is done real-time turn-based which reminds me of Chrono Trigger." - Beta Tester

"This really feels like one of the most polished iOS games I have played." - Beta Tester

Attached Files:

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    This does look pretty cool. I'm always game for something different.

3. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    This look really interesting. I'll have to consider it

4. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Wow been waiting for this one ever since Kickstarter :D very cool how chemistry and RPG go together to make this game :D you have my 8$. bought

5. Looks intriguing, but I'm surprised about it being under "education" instead of "games." Is it meant for kids?

6. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Adults, kids... Anyone who wants to learn about chemistry, I imagine. :)

7. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I demand an organic chemistry DLC lol

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This looks awesome! Seems like it was a successfully funded and FULFILLED Kickstarter project, which is always nice to see.

I am curious how long the game is especially since it says ACT 1 in the title.

9. Septim

Septim Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    @Dev, is this the same version that was offered as a Beta to play through TestFlight? I'm from the KickStarter but the TestFlight code is the only one received. Thanks

10. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    #10 Ace EdVenture Studio, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Hey everyone, apologies for the late reply. Time differences over here :eek:

ChemCaper is primarily to introduce kids to Chemistry before they learn it in highschool. But with that in mind we did also develop it with RPG enjoyment in mind so everyone can enjoy it. The bonus is that perhaps adults who used to have a hard time learning Chemistry can have fun with it too :)

Since this is a first, we're testing the waters by putting under "Education" so we'll see how that goes.

11. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    Hey! Yup this is the full version as per the release build. Reason why we distributed early access via TestFlight was because it's a simpler process than via iTunes, that's about it :)

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It's not available in Spain. Is it in soft launch?

13. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    Unfortunately, no for the time being :( We're hoping to release the game there in the near future, but in order to do that we'll need to sort out localization first. Hang in there, and thanks for the interest!

14. furion00

furion00 Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Hmm interesting concept but it's still not clear what I am actually buying. I wanna have fun while playing games. Is this more on the gaming side or on the educational side? It is kinda vague and the high pricetag makes it even less approachable. If this is a total rpg game, i would instabuy because i love the graphics. Devs, when you wanna be innovative, maybe you should somehow use the freemium structure so we gamers can test the waters of something so new and so strange. Just my 2c!

15. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    Thanks for your 2c, it's much appreciated :) yes perhaps the freemium structure is something we could explore further whether it's implemented for Act I or for our subsequent games.

To answer your question, you're right on both fronts; it is educational and is also an RPG. On one hand there's the Chemistry/education. We started on ChemCaper to make a dread of a subject, Chemistry, fun for kids and adults through playing video games. In Act I, players pick up concepts through gaming elements like potion crafting, battle, and the quests. Not forgetting the world and lore of ChemCaper that's built on real life Chemistry as well.

At the same time, we've put equal effort into making this a full-fledged RPG adventure that players can enjoy even if their intention of playing ChemCaper isn't for the Chemistry.

I hope this explanation on our first game, an effort to bridge mainstream gaming and edutainment, clears that up some and helps you with a decision :)

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Nuts.

I was sort of hoping for a degree-level RPG caper.

And, tbh, I'd love a decent RPG focused on complex algebra and / or respectably hardcore statistics. (I speak as a social scientist, so feel the need to qualify 'hardcore.' As social science doesn't get that hardcore, compared to 'proper' disciplines.)

17. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    How will future content be released? New app, dlc... Any future IAP being considered?

18. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    We might actually get onto doing that in future :) at the moment we're starting off with highschool level concepts for Chemistry. But speaking of algebra etc., we will be developing games based on math, then physics, biology, so on and so forth. All the sciences basically, they're in the development pipeline.

19. Ace EdVenture Studio

Oct 26, 2015
    At this point, future acts will be released as separate titles, new apps. IAPs are definitely being considered but nothing of the pay-to-win sort. We would like players to be able to have the full experience with or without IAPs.

20. Whackado

Whackado Active Member

Feb 17, 2014
    It was too unique a concept, I had to try it. Haven't played a ton yet, maybe an hour, but so far it's a very charming little RPG. I think maybe some aspects could be explained better, like how to level up petticles? Some of it has been trial and error but maybe that's part of the discovery. The graphics are cute and the music is excellent. It's definitely more fun than I had in HS chemistry ;) I'm anxious to see how it plays out. Keep up the good work!