Your Holiday Haul?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GeekyDad, Dec 21, 2012.

1. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I bought 500 games in 2011...stopped buying until march 2012
    Finished 50 of them
    Got halfway through 100 counting the 50 I finished.

2. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    It's been a good Christmas:

The Bard's Tale
    Bastion
    Chaos Rings II
    Wild Blood
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    ORC: Vengeance
    Super Hexagon
    Inferno+
    Ravensword: Shadowlands

The only game that I was really hoping for a sale that didn't get one is GOF2 HD. I have the SD version with all SLC and was hoping to get the HD version to play on my new iPod, but didn't want to pay for the download and Supernova again, but oh we'll. lots of stuff to play.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #23 tops2, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    So far:
    Wild Blood
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Planning to pick up:
    Dariusburst SP
    Secret of Mana
    Rage of the Gladiator
    Wings of Valor
    Knights of Pen & Paper (want to clarify if there's less grinding after the update)

Unsure (mostly due to losing patience due to difficulty of games lately):
    Raiden Legacy
    Blazing Star

The one that I'll work on first:
    Orc Vengeance

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Aaaaaaaand... no offense taken... but I have way more free time than most. Pretty much 5 days outta the week, I have 7 hours to kill every morning - then another 10 hours at work throughout the night where I probably only actually work 2 of those hours...

So... yeah... I buy... I play through to completion... I delete for more space... I repeat. =o)

5. PedroKZ

PedroKZ New Member

Dec 22, 2012
    #25 PedroKZ, Dec 22, 2012
    Way more than i have time to play, lol stock up now though. Last weeks buys still eye balling a few more. Recently got first iPad and still have iPhone backlog...

HD versions of all Halfbrick games + puss boots ninja on iPhone.
    Fieldrunners 2 HD
    Plants vs Zombies HD
    Bastion
    Borderlands HD
    Orc vengeance -free
    Leps world 2 HD -free
    EnbornX -free
    Inferno+
    Hero Academy -free (but buying the Steam to get all unlocks and TF2 set)
    Scribble Hero
    GTA: CTW HD
    Amateur Surgeon 2 -free
    Super monsters ate my condo - free
    Dungeon Raid <-most played from this list :)

6. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    It's definitely something I try to refrain from doing, but in a lot of cases, great games go on sale -- either doing so rarely, or they're normally quite expensive -- and I go ahead and put them in the backlog. For me, it's a matter of trying to save a few bucks on games I know I'm going to want to play eventually. And this is definitely one of the best times to clean up on great deals.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    There's also the fact that many of us will still have iPads/iPhones laying around in 10 years... Just like many of us still have NES/SNES/SEGA/Dreamcasts/ECT. laying around, and chances are we still occasionally play games on those consoles... Hell, I still buy old school games off EBay...

So even if there is a game I somehow don't have the time to play now, I will be able to play it over the next 10 years or so...

Just... Thought I'd throw that in...

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Oh yeah, I got Super Hexagon, too.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, I have to admit I AM guilty of that a lot, but really, what difference does it make how much of a game I get through as long as I'm having fun? Why would someone care about that enough to take issue with that? And yeah, I've got lots of money to throw around for whatever I want, so I'm glad for that. It's never an issue for me, luckily. I never finish almost 2/3 of the games I get, but I get to 'em at my leisure and have lots of time to play with. I get 'em, play 'em, delete 'em, then replace 'em with the next thing that comes along that interests me, then repeat. It's an addiction to be sure, but I love it!

10. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    That's some good sense. I was just thinking the same thing.

It is true sometimes you forget about games, but it's always nice having them for only .99c. Like 9mm was 7 bucks, now .99c. That's 6 dollars you saved if you bought at .99

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #31 awp69, Dec 22, 2012
    I gotta say that I am somewhat guilty of that ....particularly since I only have 8 gigs to work with. But at the same time, when there's games I was on the fence about, I do like to try them out if they're free or just a buck. The premium games I spend the bigger bucks on -- unless they really end up sucking or boring me to tears -- I do try to play to completion.

That said, I think over the past three or four years I have managed to work my way up to over 1,000 apps. Granted a lot of those were freebies I may never have bought and many deleted soon after realizing they were crap.

I like to think of it in the way that I was a console gamer buying $60 games (and still do occasionally) and now I don't usually spend close to that in a month (unless it's a really, really good month of iOS gaming).

It's an addiction I tell ya!

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I also had gotten more than I can play when buying games in the past but even if my device becomes obsolete by technology standards they'll always be there to play at my leisure. Almost like money in the bank so to speak but instead its invested purchase's for later gaming.

My take so far:
    NFS: Most Wanted
    Motorblast (liking the start on this game)
    Luxor Revolved (kind of awkward fingering the controls but ok)
    7 Wonders: Ancient Alien Makeover
    Shrek Kart
    ORC: Vengeance
    Zombie Bowl A Rama (don't know of the game but was free)

and still looking....

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #33 backtothis, Dec 22, 2012
    About 5%, maybe 10%. To date, I've downloaded more than 750 paid (at least $0.99) games from just the AppStore since January 2009 according to my purchase history. In other words, I've been able to take advantage of only 5 sales this entire month since I own every EA/Gameloft/popular title out there. What's funny is that it really isn't much because that translates to about 30 new console games (assuming the average cost is ABOUT $2.50 per iOS title; I haven't calculated total spent in quite a while, but the last time I did, it was already over $2000).

When it comes to the iOS, I think it's about trying a little bit of everything, and only playing through those games that you find excellent. Time far outweighs money when it comes to the AppStore. I bought a new 360 just last December (exactly a year ago), and my collection is already at 20. I try to finish games far more frequently when it comes to the XBOX. The thing about iOS for me: there'll always be a new game to play for every rainy day to come.

I've never quite understood the sentiment about thinking people who buy tons of games are rich though. The bill for an iPhone is $100 a month (with a reasonable amount of data). You're not even willing to match that cost for your prime form of entertainment monthly?

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    You know, I just went into my "Purchases" and was shocked to see at the bottom that it shows 4,018 apps. I haven't gone through my purchase history itself to see what percentage of that was paid, but I still find it difficult to believe that it could really be that high.

Hmmmm.....wonder if that's really accurate? Scary if it is.

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Holy crap! Mine is only at about 2500. I haven't really downloaded anything free since the first year (Jan. 2009) I was into the iOS. I also removed all the worthless games I downloaded from my purchase history..over a thousand, one by one, by hitting the tiny x.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I thought you couldn't remove apps from purchase history.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, I still find it difficult to believe I have that many -- that's almost 100 a month. Still think it's got to be a mistake (and it's a major pain in the ass to scroll through the list). I know when I first got an iPod Touch, I did download a lot of crappy freebies. Now, I'm even selective with free games because I usually buy the games I really want to begin with. Just ones that might have passed me by or I wasn't so sure about. But I definitely don't download even close to as many games just because they're free or on sale.

I didn't know that either. Frankly it would take me forever to go through it via iTunes (hate that software to begin with because it just seems so freaking slow sometimes).

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, I only figured out recently (2 months ago) that you could remove stuff from your history. I don't think it has always been a feature. Really nice to delete all the lite and trashy free apps from the list.

19. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Whoa didn't knew this could be done!
    Can anybody tell me how?
    When i go to app store and then to purchased i only have the option to download again via that icloud button. Looks like i don't have an "x" button to delete?

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    There should be an X button if you hover your mouse on the app icon.