the front page looks really bad...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Trysis3, Apr 5, 2014.

?

do you agree ?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Nop

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I don't have an opinion

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    why are the article's titles set after the pictures, it looks very unprofessional and confusing. Like im used to reading a title then seeing a picture, not the other way around. What other news sites have this stupid look ?!
    I know its been a long time, and i thought id get used to it but it still makes me nauseous/confused.

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Are you talking about the website or the app?

3. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    website

4. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    This is one of the reasons why I always skip the front page and go straight to forums.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #5 Red1, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    This was raised when the TA re-design was first released. I wouldn't say "the front page looks really bad"; more like a minor impairment. My suggestion was - if they want the pictures before the headings - then include a more obvious divider line, so it's clear where each topic starts / ends.

Another issue: In the 'Hot Games' list the screenshots are often cropped weirdly, so only part of the picture is visible.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The weird cropping issues are because it's really difficult to deal with portrait mode screenshots in any kind of reasonable way to do what we wanted to do- Particularly with the new aspect ratio of the iPhone 5/5s. There's not a great solution for that we can do automatically. The hot games list is dynamic, and it isn't really feasible for us to go through and optimize the crop of every portrait screenshot to look more relevant. This is something we spent a lot of time on when we switched over, and while not ideal, it seems to be the best solution.

7. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    ahh, okay, didn't realize it was a portrait / landscape issue.

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Content is most important but I agree the front page could use some tweaking. The inconsistent picture headers (sometimes present, other times not) are confusing especially with mid-page advertisements (which often mirror picture headings, especially if the following article has none). Maybe adding a organe yellowish border around title/header pictures could help better identify them and brand the page with a unique Touch Arcade style.