iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    'Tis mental. The iCade mobile though I have to say has rubbish button mapping for iMame so I'm hoping the 8-bitty gets that better.

2. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    If the 8-bitty sells really well (and it could potentially do very well with its retro look and low price point), it could become the default layout for iCade games.

The silver lining for full sized iCade owners is that whatever layout becomes standard (if ever), we can adapt to it as all our controls are front facing and easy to reach. The people who will be badly affected are owners of other small form factor varients like the iCade mobile who may be stuck using their shoulder buttons more than they might like.

3. We've mapped the GameDock to have the A-B buttons map to the red buttons on the iCade and start-select map to the white buttons. This seems to be the mapping of choice for somewhere between half to 2/3 of the games I've tried (over 40).

We're hoping to help standardize button mapping a little bit, as well as make it more commonplace to have all menus navigable by the controller, and have launch urls for all games. Hopefully, some standards will emerge out of the wild west that is iCade-protocol controllers right now. :)

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Good ideas. The standardization I want: always include SOME form of help to show iCade users the controls! I always die trying to remember how a specific game works.

I’m thinking maybe I’ll simply use one single image (no language, no localization) showing an iCade layout, a Mobile/Jr. layout, and an 8-Bitty layout. (Assuming that all those catch on enough!)

5. Yup. So we're putting together a dashboard app. First, the idea is you'll be able to launch / exit games without having to use the touch screen. And second, it would have a prompt reminding you of the controls before the game launches. (IE "Here is the button layout. Ready to play?") That should take some of the burden off of developers and is something we can easily do. I've posted a couple pics of the app on my twitter stream. :)

6. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
    Fantastic idea, xenoclone. So glad you are sharing this dashboard with other developers.

7. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I just noticed that the last update to Swordigo says it adds external arcade controls, can anyone confirm whether this refers to th iCade or not? I'd like to grab it, but only if it does support the iCade. (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I'm still figuring out my way around the forums.). Thx.

BTW, the highest game on my wish list for iCade support is Shantae, I'd love to see that game get supported. Thought I'd mention that since this thread also a wish list. :)

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just tried Swordigo and it does indeed support iCade. Very well spotted. Mikey Shorts Halloween does too for anyone in any doubt and it's fantastic too.

9. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the confirmation. I agree about The Halloween version of Mikey Shorts, I spent some time playing it last night and it's just as fun as the original game. Very addicting, I find myself going back to it a lot just to try to get that third star on each level. :)

10. Tommythecatz

Tommythecatz New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Icade, imame, iPad 2 and iOS6

Hi everyone

Just a question. I had imame working perfectly with the icade in iOS 5 on my iPad but since I've upgraded to ios6 imame doesn't seem to "see" the icade anymore. The icade works fine with the Atari app etc and is connecting fine with the Bluetooth. Does any know this is a known issue or any way to help at all?

Thanks a million

Garret

11. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    I've noticed this too but not sure why its happening. What I do to get around it is go to Options in iMame and toggle the Control Layout option from iCade to iCP and back then tap the OK button and your iCade should be detected.

- Les

12. Tommythecatz

Tommythecatz New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Hey Les

Thanks for the reply. I literally just figured that out before I read your post but thank you so much for the help. If I just hit options and then ok it just sees it I don't even have to change anything. Weird but at least I can get back to playing out run now! Thanks!

Garret

13. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Muffin Knight is on sale now. It’s supposed to be like Super Crate Box which I thought worked well on iCade... downloading now!

14. yellowknife

Aug 21, 2010
  15. Johnny Ice

Johnny Ice Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I can't get the right and down directions to work in Wreck it Ralph or Fix it Felix Jr. They both work natively with the iCade as far as the fix it button, but the directions aren't playable for me. I also tried using Blu-Trol also to no avail.

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    That’s odd—maybe there’s a bug in the latest Felix update (I can’t test now). I know it USED to work for me in Fix it Felix!

P.S. I just grabbed Shuttle Scuttle on $1 sale. Haven’t tried it yet, but it looks vaguely Asteroids-like, but without momentum? Anyway, worth a buck judging by the video. Mostly good reviews except for the controls... and iCade may solve that.

17. frasermorgan

frasermorgan Well-Known Member

Just grabbed Beatdown from Ravenous Games, and it's a pretty stellar beat 'em up! iCade support obviously.

I'd like to see a double tap to run and a coin and upgrade system added though. Take some more cues from River City Ransom!

18. Gamer_Kev

Gamer_Kev Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the mention on that. I saw that game in Wed's release article and was wondering if it had iCade support. I'll have to grab it.

19. frasermorgan

frasermorgan Well-Known Member

No problem! I know for me that iCade support is a major influence in my decision to get a game! Love to help y'all out. :). It's definitely a fun game :).

20. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I wonder—did Centipede Origins ever gain the expected iCade support? Looks like it has had a few updates, but iCade is not mentioned in the app description.