metroidvania/ deep exploration games for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by foodeater, Sep 23, 2011.

1. foodeater

foodeater New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Googling "metroidvania ios" only turns up one game and the art direction doesn't captivate me. Anything else along similar lines? Non-super twitchy combat (I wouldn't care if it didn't have any combat!), lots of secrets and designed, rather than random areas to explore.

2. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Hmm. Not sure if this 100% fits your question, but I Dig It 2 (not one!) or HD, depending on your platform. I "dug" them both, HA HA.

3. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Also there was one under the sea that DEFINITELY fits what you're asking. What was it called? The Deep. I remember enjoying it decently, even though it has a 3.5 star average.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Robot Wants Kitty is excellent, go grab it.

The Deep is also good.

5. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    #5 Ghouls'R'us, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    There's an upcoming side-scrolling exploration game where you control your little guy while exploring some deep caves on Mars. I can't remember its name.

Glowfish has some exploratory aspects, but is separated in individual levels. It's really quite well done and has been received warmly by the Touch Arcade community.

Another one I'm not familiar with, Phoenix Spirit.

EDIT: Another upcoming game, an iOS port of Aquaria, will eventually manifest itself.

6. iVoloster

iVoloster Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Insurance
    NY
    Robot Wants Kitty
    Grokion
    The Deep
    Elemental Rage
    Castlevania Puzzle (Encore of the Night)
    Demon Hunter

Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

RWK
    Grokion
    The Deep
    and Elemental Rage are the gems of that list.

Castlevania EON is a puzzler in which you progress through the SOTN castle, not really the best example of a Metriodvania but a cool game none the less.

Demon Hunter is too grindy and controls never felt right to me, this game looks alot like Aria of Sorrow for GBA but plays nothing like it.

7. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
  8. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Robot Wants Kitty, which is currently free and should therefore be downloaded asap by every living thing on Earth, consists of non-linear platforming levels. It doesn't look like much but it plays like a dream!

9. foodeater

foodeater New Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks all!

It's interesting there are a few water games. I wonder if that floaty control style works well with touch controls. I think the guy that made Cave Story is doing something for iOS set underwater too. Surprised no ones done zero gravity yet.

@writingsama I dig it is close enough! Too much is better than too little.

10. Scav

Scav New Member

Aug 5, 2011
    This is exactly the type of list I was looking for :p I tried googling it too a while back, and the only good hit was for Elemental Rage, which I'm not finding very satisfying.

Most of the games above seem to be iPhone-only. Any ideas on a good iPad metroidvania?

A Cave Story iOS port would make me pass out in excitement.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    You'll want to look out for Aquaria.
    http://vimeo.com/29644366

12. yvk

yvk Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Edit: Wrong thread..

13. indy363

indy363 New Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Everyone here should go check out Swordigo. One of the best games I have played on the iphone. It is very "legend of zelda-y" and a great 2d action exploration game.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's not a platformer, but Gene Effect is an awesome expoloration game with lots of "hidden" things to find and overcome to get past levels.

15. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Phoenix spirit - not exactly metroidvania. You could easily find a video and check it out. I enjoyed it.

Avenger - kinda mediocre I thought. Still, by iOS standards it's not bad.

Dark Incursion - the best. It is an unfinished game though. It also looks as though it'll stay that way. You'll get an hour or two of quality gameplay and then a to be continued screen. Basically.

Demon hunter - think castlevania meets krpg. I think there's a free version you can try. It's ad based or something though.

Grokion - one of the older and more beloved. More metroid than castlevania. I played a bit, never got that into it though.

There are a few iPad only games as well that others mentioned. I should probably pick them up and try them.
    Also waking mars. Another I haven't had the time to play and haven't picked up.

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Lost Winds 1 and 2?

Grokion is also amazing.

17. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    There is Avenger. I got it free (don't know if it still is). It is okay, but it got same-y fast. I also wonder if it was a cell phone game at one point, as the frame rate and slower than that type of game speed are not up to iPhone capabilities.

There is also Revenge of the Japanese Werewolf (is this the one you found on your search and didn't like?).

And there is one more that I can't remember with a young, blonde kid lost in a haunted mansion. Anyone?

Edit: I didn't realize Nobunaga mentioned Avenger. My apologies!

18. llamakoolaid

llamakoolaid Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sys Admin
    Houston

Is Grokion still available? I am not able to find it on the app store.

19. chattycathy

chattycathy Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Vermont, USA
    Nope, it's been pulled. :(

20. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wait, what?! Why??? :(