Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcoombs

jpcoombs Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Still deciding on save slots. We like the idea of living your decisions. So one save slot per ship right now.

And playing on after the game is "finished" will be an option. We have some fun ideas though for the next ship that you play when you start over. Almost a "next generation" type idea....

2. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    This game looks awesome, I have to give you props jpcoombs for answering all the questions on the forum. Its always encouraging to have developers/people actively involved. I know you guys are focused on the initial game but is there any "plans" or possibility of post launch content? Either paid or free update?

Thanks and looking forward to the reams hard work!

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Cool! Thnx for the reply.:)

4. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Why do you need all those caps and limits? I mean for how much you can do in one game. Is it like a game-time limit? And do you mean if you go down one path of the research tree you can't go back to the other option of the fork? ...
    Another question: can you add room to your ship with the XP currency? That way I think I would be more keen to play and continue to the next-generation to build a badass all-conquering mothership ;)

5. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Both paid and free updates. Paid will be expansion packs and stuff. We look at it like valve and Team Fortress 2 - core content like ships, races, missions etc will be free and regular. Stuff thats a little different (hats in TF2 for instance) have some monetary transaction.

We will also have expansion packs that are big changes to the game (away teams, take control of alien vessels, etc)

6. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Can you give us some more screenshots? The ones one your site are cool but they're art and not gameplay. And any news as well? It's getting quiet in this space...

7. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

Hey jpcoombs!

I just simply wanted to tell you/guys how excited I am for Star Command! It looks like you guys are really giving it your all.

One curious point of interest is the difference between the user interface resolution and the actual game assets. Is it intentional to have such a divide between the two?

Cheers!

8. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    We're working on combat and research right now, so some new screens should be coming very soon. We haven't stopped working. In fact the quieter it is the more we are working.

Hopefully a trailer of gameplay soon as well.

Keep the faith!

9. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Yes, the resolution change is intentional. We want the user to feel like theyre making grand choices on the top level nav and then more direct, character based choices based on the popups around the characters. The top nav will also "tuck" and move to the side when not in use so you can see as much as your ship as possible.

10. spockgold007

spockgold007 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    death star
    this great game is still on track for a summer release right?

11. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    All sounding good. Can't wait for this.

12. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Late Summer - and were also considering getting a booth at PAX.

13. Ollarin

Ollarin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Character TD/Animator
    Wooo! I am so stoked for this game! Keep up the good work! It's going to be epic! :)

14. BradPat

BradPat Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Haven't heard anything in ages...

Any update on when this will be released or if someone is actually still working on it? :p

15. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Yeah want it bad

Any updates? This game is on my want it bad list. Im really really thinking this game is going to be on a epic level. So Devs., Wuz Up?

16. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    We're hoping to give a big update sometime in the near future. We're working every day on the game and yes, it will be epic. Right now were getting Ship to Ship Combat working and polishing up our menus. We also just got our musicians and sound designers, so making lots of progress. No matter what, we have a Blizzard mentality when it comes to development - polish, polish and more polish. So the game will be awesome when it comes out, count on it.

Also, for all of our fans on TA, Like us on facebook. Not just because we want likes, were going to use that as our platform for our core fanbase for some promo codes for free content when the game is released. Once we release a trailer were pretty sure things will explode and we don't want to lose track of everyone who liked us just based on a couple screenshots and a promises.

http://www.facebook.com/StarCommandGame

17. jpcoombs

Apr 18, 2011
    Save Games

Also, looking for some feedback from the fanbase. The question is save games.

What do you feel is reasonable for save games? Save anytime you want? Limit the count? Save points? No saving at all? Saving only AFTER a battle?

We want consequences (no one wants to see Spock die) but we also dont want the game to be too challenging and frustrating (my entire crew was just wiped out).

Thoughts?

18. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    iPad HD or universal compatible?

Fingers crossed, as none of these AWESOME pixel games have HD/universal support :(

19. justincoombs21

justincoombs21 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    DESIGNER
    NYC
    Universal? HD?

Yes it will be available in HD - but universal is still undecided - we will basically have the same in-game graphics (zoomable in whole pixel increments) btu the menus will be remade for HD.

20. DtheGOPkiller

DtheGOPkiller Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I would have to kill you if I tell you.
    CA! Sunny and awesome!
    Oh boy sounds awesome! I like that you have the confidence going as well. It's shows when someone knows they are standing behind a sold product. Thanks for the info for the FB page I will like it now. I have been following this and really really can't wait. It sounds like you guys are pulling no punches with quality and we will support the heck out of you for it. Still think this will be late summer? Just keep plugging away Sci-Fi nerds like me are going to love you for this game.