Coming Soon: Hoopster 3D Basketball Game!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Matt_RKLS, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009
    #1 Matt_RKLS, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

Hello all,

I am new to the forums, and wanted to announce an upcoming game that my company is developing for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Hoopster features a realistically rendered 3D basketball court, real shooting physics and two action-packed modes of play full of special effects for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

1) Quick Shots

This fun, addictive and action filled game challenges players to shoot from random locations in 3 different zones while collecting power-ups and racking up the points.

2) Shoot Around

Before you hit the showers, take a spin around our practice court to perfect that half-court shot and gain the advantage over your friends, family and the world on our high score leader boards.

[hqyoutube]HuC1a8hsi-4[/hqyoutube]

Features Include:

o Detailed 3D basketball arena with real physics, realistic sounds and incredible effects

o “Quick Shots” game with countdown clock and power-up bonuses for maximum score

o “Shoot Around” gym to perfect the power and alignment of your shots

o Intuitive accelerometer and touch controls for shooting and moving around the court

o Hot and cold streak particle effects and fun feedback messages

o Tracking and reporting of several stats including swishes, bank shots and even airballs!

o Rookie, Intermediate, and Pro difficulty settings

o Top 10 leader board for all three difficulty levels

o Options for music and sound effects volume as well as screen dimming

Other options and more exciting games planned for release in future versions. Thanks for your support, and please let us know if this game looks interesting (couple of beta pics attached) and any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. OrangePanda

OrangePanda Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Graphics look pretty good!
    Is this kinda like all-star eventish, like the shooting contest?

3. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    whats the development status?

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    wow looks great and the best basketball app out there!

Ohh BTW on bb subject. I play basketball for a homeschool team! Lol

5. nuggetsman28

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    oh welcome to ta you are going to love it here!

6. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #6 salsamd, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    How do you see your game distinguished from LKA Basketball Mania or Arcade Hoops? Both of these are just shooting games as well.

Also, any plans to transform this into a full player based game? Streetball is the only game currently with this offering, but Handheld Games is working on one.

[​IMG]

7. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks OrangePanda... There is a mode that is most familiar to "Pop-a-Shot" arcade style where the camera moves from spot to spot and you have to hit as many shots as you can in 1:30. You go on Hot and Cold streaks and get power-ups that stop the clock, give double points, etc. This mode is targeted at the casual gamer who has a few minutes and wants a fun (and at times funny) game experience.

The shoot around is more about accuracy (no time pressure) and about 15 stats are collected from the obvious (shooting %... points, to things like bank shots, airball and bricks. Each mode has messaging and audio support and special effects. Hit 8 in a row and you enter "Bacon Time!" Sizzlin'

We plan on adding additional basketball games (traditional and not-so traditional) in the future.

8. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009

We are currently in Beta... shooting for a release candidate at the end of this week so we can submit to Apple next week.

MJ

9. nuggetsman28

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    i would submit fast some apps take over 2 weeks to be approved!:eek:

10. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009
    True... we are up against the age old conflict of market opportunity and polish :). We will hope for the best!

11. OrangePanda

Jan 10, 2009
    Possible more sound effects:
    Ballin'
    For the 3!!
    Ohhhhhhhh!
    You are on fire!
    Your shot is like butter, it's silky smooth.

12. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
  13. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

Not exactly a lot of competition though for that spot. It's my general understanding that all the basketball games out there suck really badly, am I right or am I right?

There's an untapped market for a good basketball shooter IMO, and it would be the controls that would make or break such an app.

14. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    this looks awsome:D

15. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009

Arcade Hoops offers players one basic perspective and mechanic of gameplay. Our environment is a 3D arena that has movement controls that you can move to any point (half court) and shoot by aligning with the accelerometer and then choosing your power with the pull back meter. The physics are great and shots fly off the backboard, rim and floor (and player) in a very realistic manner. In our Quick Shots game, the app will randomly select points on the floor to shoot from so its not the same repetitive experience every time.

The feel of this game is where we are putting a good deal of effort. We welcome feedback from the community and have plans for other games and working in Ad Hoc multiplayer on some of them.

16. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009
    LOL Panda... I think we already have 3 of those in there!

17. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #17 salsamd, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009

I would love this to do well, but it seems similar to, but more polished than LKA Basketball (see below). The real market is for a solid full featured B-ball game.

[hqyoutube]XwLm5OkQIrQ[/hqyoutube]

18. OrangePanda

Jan 10, 2009
    What can I say, great minds think alike.
    lol.
    Any price plans?

19. Matt_RKLS

Matt_RKLS Member

Mar 3, 2009
    From what I can tell, there are enough differences in our mechanic to differentiate significanly from this game. We should have a demo video ready in a couple days to post.

This style of game is the most logical for us to dip our toes into the App development arena for iPhone. I agree that a full featured Bball game would rock, but I don't know enough about the market consumers yet to determine the future of this... but I agree with the statement that a good basketball game that meets the needs of both enthusiasts and casual games alike is needed in this space.

20. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA