are you an impulse shopper?Poll inside~~thx

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TapMad_D, Jan 20, 2011.

?

are you an impulse shopper?

1. YEAH, I AM AND I AM FEELING GREAT!

29.1%
  2. NO...I always google a lot before i buy!

18.2%
  3. well, it depends...

52.7%
  1. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    hey guys,

just wondering if you guys are impulse shoppers like me. :)
    for me, it only takes a few minutes before i buy an app. my decision is based on icon, trailer and perhaps reviews from some blogs. this habit makes my credit card always in the red :(

i attached a poll here. hope you could share with us your experience and stories~~

thx~

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Who isn't an impulse shopper with all these GREAT GAMES coming out!?

3. LeopardGecko

LeopardGecko Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Male
    Addictions
    Colorado
    I usually do a lot of research before purchasing, especially if it's an expensive app. I'm a little bit more relaxed for .99 cent apps, but I still like to watch some reviews on youtube or something before hitting that dreaded buy button. =P

4. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    you bet! iOS is really an amazing platform!

5. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    It depends what, really. I dont have the money to just buy something whenever and whatever I feel like.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Average of over 60$ a month for the past 2 years, 150$ spent in just December 2010. Go figure, hah.

My purchases on honestly based solely on notifications, posts, and articles from TA. Otherwise, I just scan the top 100 or top 200 if I'm on the computer and see if there are any interesting new games that I would like to try.

7. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Like Backtothis here.

8. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    almost the same with you, on the sum.
    yeah, i care about the TOP list a lot too. BTW, it is weird to see some apps jump into top 50 overnight.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    hi5 man. Yeah, it happens. Hmm, Dungeon defenders jumped about 150 overnight due to the 0.99 sale xD. Now it's 4.99 and at a nice spot in the top 50. Burn the Rope did that a week or two ago..jumped 150 spots due to apple's feature..now it's up there at a higher spot than cut the rope. It probably benefited quite a lot from having such a similar name, allowing many people to believe the two are by the same devs. Anyways, I love the iOS and the appstore xD.

10. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    exactly!
    if i see my game jump that big overnight in the future, i will take it and feel peace. haha!!

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    You know, the icon probably has more of a subtle, subconscious effect on me than I'd like to admit. The way I see it, if a dev CBFed to even get a small 100x100 (or whatever) image designed properly, which is the first thing any potential buyer sees other than the name, then it makes me wonder what else is lacking. Yes, I know there are plenty of great games out there with PoS icons, but there are times when the only information I have to work off of is the icon, description, and screenshots.

12. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    I usually watch loads of gameplay videos and reviews and stuff before buying even $1 apps. But occasionally I go on a spree

13. First Light

First Light Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Landscape Desinger
    New Zealand
    I've just got a bit of a spending spree out of my system, got 9 new apps waiting to be downloaded and synced :)

14. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Yeah def am an impulse buyer.
    Sometimes it doesn't pay off but others it does.

15. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I usually read reviews first. If there are none, I'll wait.

16. TapMad_D

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    based on the current situation, it seems most of the guys are impulsive for specific games. then, the next question is, what makes the game specific to you?

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Genre: RPGs, rts, gameloft games. I grab games that fall into these categories without a thought.

Controls: dual stick, virtual analog, virtual pad. Unlike many others, I think the idevice perfectly suits the use of traditional controls and look for games with these preferred controls.

'hardcore' vs 'casual': not interested in all the 0.99 casual games that litter the top lists quite often. I'm interested in games that have a decent 'campaign' or possibly multiplayer. Aka I like games that don't rely on scoring points. Most are quite dull after 3 playthroughs. Tilt to live is honestly the only one I like. Sadly, I can't stop myself from buying these games. Lol let me post screenshots of the 220 apps that are on my iPod later. 90% have been played less than 30 minutes since I delete games the second I finish or get bored.

18. Invadorgrey

Invadorgrey Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2010
    student
    Chicago
    Yes I ammit I'm an impulsive shopper lol.

19. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'm so cheap that I check like at least 3-4 review sites and I research through the fourms and stuff.

Unless I've been following the app in the Upcoming Games forum.

Sometimes I've impulse bought an app and I always regretted it.

20. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    What? No waffles?!?!?!