'Galaxy on Fire 2' $3.99 (Austria + Germany only?)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Habakuk, May 8, 2011.

1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#1 Habakuk, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
    Sorry I don't know if this has been mentioned before. And I don't know if this offer is only valid for German-language App Stores or not.

When you get the free app 'Computer Bild Spiele'…
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/computerbild-spiele/id426679025?mt=8

…and download then via IAP the 'Heft 6/2011' for €2.99 you get 'Galaxy on Fire 2' (obviously a special edition, full version without online scores, scores should come in an update later) for free. There are instructions in the app, and there is a code you have to type in the game after some missions. The offer is valid until end of June.

tA thread about the game:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71077

[​IMG]

2. Habakuk

#2 Habakuk, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
    Just wondering why this doesn't get more attention. The normal price is US$ 9.99 and you could get it for 3.99 what would be the alltime best price of the fabulous and high rated game.

I am trying to verify if this offer is valid outside German-language countries. Please check out if you can access "Galaxy on Fire 2™ CBS" version in App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/galaxy-on-fire-2-cbs/id434383872?mt=8

And if you can download "Computer Bild Spiele" (a popular game mag's new iPad version, reviewing mostly non-iOS-games):

http://itunes.apple.com/app/computerbild-spiele/id426679025?mt=8

(Both should be free. And chances are good that you can get the code then and use it.)

This is an image showing the point (after 20 to 40 minutes gameplay according to CBS dev) where you have to (IAP or) enter the code provided with the "Computer Bild Spiele" app (+ IAP €UR 2.99 which should translate to US$ 3.99):

http://fangdenfisch.de/gof2.png

("Vollversion" means full version. Again: According to the forum mentioned in the next break the only missing thing are online scores but they should come in a future update.)

Thread/posting in a German-language forum where the developer of "Computer Bild Spiele" gives some explanations (don't get confused because there is also a print version of CBS):

http://www.macuser.de/forum/f133/spiele-voruebergehend-kostenlos-497152/index149.html#post6773323

Offer when you purchase "Heft 6/2011" within CBS app:

[​IMG]

This version of GoF2 is an Universal-App according to iTunes (tested on iPad 2 and I have an account in Austrian iOS App Store) but it seems that you need an iPad for downloading and viewing the CBS app. And the game is English-language (and more) of course.

3. Lightlii

Lightlii Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011

Maybe, just maybe this doesn't get more attention because people (like myself for instance)
    are waiting for the "real deal" to go on sale, not some "special edition" from an obscure magazine,
    and it just seems to much hassle...?
    Downloading the CB app, then the in-app purchase, entering a code somewhere and then you get a version
    where things (like online scores) are missing, thanks but no thanks :D

This NOT intended against your effort, thank you for that, just at the offer from the magazine itself.
    (I hope I didn't come across too harsh)
    I myself will be waiting for the next sale from Fishlabs, patience is a virtue... ;)
    regards
    Lightlii

4. kailew

kailew New Member

May 11, 2011
    Hi,

I'm editor with the german games mag COMPUTERBILD SPIELE and responsible for our new iPad edition ...

Let me explain something about COMPUTERBILD SPIELE to show you that's not an "obscure magazine" ... ;) We still sell about 250.000+ copies of our magazine in Germany, Austria and also Switzerland each month. This means, that COMPUTERBILD SPIELE is Europes biggest printed games mag. Then we've a quite good website www.computerbildspiele.de with a lot of visitors and now, since one week, our new iPad app. The store link is mentioned above, please take a short look on the lot good reviews from our readers. You may download our test version for free to see, what we're doing.

Our edition of GOF2 is not a kind of crippled "special" edition but the full game without Open Feint (which will come with an update) and without Game-Center ... (which you may not really need imho).

ok, to be honest: this is a little hassle. But for our readers this seems no problem so far. You have to download our App, buy the magazine inside and you will get the code. You can find it on page 5. Write it down, download GOF2 CBS Edition, play through the first system and get the full version. Maybe takes you 45 minutes, 30 minutes playing the game.

A problem could be, that the game is available only in Germany, Austria and Switzerland - to answer the question above.

to be honest again: a little ;)

Kai

5. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    @editor

Do you have ang english counterpart of the magazine?

6. Habakuk

#6 Habakuk, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    Good to know. But even for this "problem" there is a way around since the game app is free. Just create an account in German, Austrian or Swiss iTunes App Store and get the game from there, here is a step-by-step guide:

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2010/03/how-to-create-an-itunes-account-in-another-country.html

It works. It's legal. I tried it the other way round months ago: Created an account in U.S. App Store for a free app that wasn't available in my regular (Austrian) App Store. It should work vice versa as well.

I know: Even more hassle. And when there is an update for the game app later on you will get it with your "special foreign account" only. But I remember very well the days when I was a teen and six bucks were a lot of money so I support this opportunity to save them. Just go shopping in good ol' Europe if you've got an iPad and buy a very good space trading game for it's all-time best price. First world trading—then space trading. :)

As you can see in my sig I personally really don't miss Game Center.

BTW my hints are not meant to support or advertise "Computer Bild Spiele" but the offer is okay imho. The mag is indeed popular in German-language Europe.

Wikipedia:

Computer Bild Spiele (CBS) the print magazine (German-language)

Computer Bild the sister mag with 3 million readers (German-language)

Axel Springer AG is the publisher of CBS. "The Axel Springer company is the largest publishing house in Europe and controls the largest share of the German market for daily newspapers."

7. kailew

kailew New Member

May 11, 2011
    not yet, but maybe later on iPad.

Kai