Best way to find out about in-development games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by therhino, Dec 10, 2010.

1. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm a 3D modeler/animator and I've been looking for games that could use my work, the problem is I'm having trouble finding them pre-release. I know there's a section here to post my work and there's an upcoming games sub-forum, but is there a good website or way (other than Google) to find games that are early in development. A lot of developers don't post here until they're near release which is fine, but for me I'd like to be able to see what all is in development further in advance. Any suggestions on sites/ways to find Devs would be great.

Thanks

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    You should try the opposite:
    let dev see your work so they want you to do the art for them.
    Post a thread in this forum advertising your work. Where is your portfolio? Also, make it clear what you want: work for money? Fame? something else...

BTW, I'm only interested in 2D artists for now ;)

JC

3. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    OK. At this point I'm not interested in money as I'm just trying to get myself out there and I have gotten some people, but I'll take your advice :)

4. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    It's unlikely any developers are working on a game hoping someone contacts them offering to do art for them. It's much better if you advertise your services so they come to you.

One way is you could make your work available on sites such as www.exchange3d.com and developers can just buy your models straight from there (that's where I got the pencil for Lead Wars).

5. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    Problem with pre-canned art from some of the download services is, that its many times hard to modify/add things. Much better having a good artist on the team. Even as contractor.

If you are a good, solid 3d artist looking for work (even for fame), I would try to go to the places where the developers hang out and post samples of your work there.

As incredible as it sounds - programmers have a hard time finding good artists. And I think the other way around too.

E.g. I'd go to unity3d.com and post there. Or some of the other 3d engine forums. Thats where programmers are - and where they even share sometimes their work in progress.

On a personal note and interest - what kind of art do you do? I always have more ideas than time :)

/T

6. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks for the advice, I checked out the Unity forums yesterday and will probably post there as well as some other Dev forums.

I've done stadiums for Championship Ultimate, but I can do basically anything needed. Right now I'm working on an M107. This is about two hours work, still very much WIP:

[​IMG]

Here's a finished weapon I made based on the NM flak cannon:

[​IMG]

Neither are that advanced as far as modeling goes, but both of those are simple objects. Anyway that's what I've been working on.

7. Thomas Lund

Thomas Lund Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    IT consultant and game developer
    Sweden
    One thing that game devs will always ask you - poly count! :-D

Hard to judge your skills from WIP though.

But yeah - post on Unity3d and say you are up for something. I bet you'll find a project to join

/T

8. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Yeah keeping low poly is important, the key is to keep it high quality as well.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hey rhino

thoose models you posted.. on a scale from 1 to 10 (where 10 is best)

where would you put your work in quality wise.. if you judge yourself?

10. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

haha

OH boy here we go again!!!!:)

11. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    That's kinda hard to say, the first was is still being worked on so obviously it's not really anything to compare to since it's not finished. The second one is a very basic model, but I was modeling it after a very basic looking weapon so I'd give it a 3, but again I modeled it exactly how it should be modeled. There just isn't that much you can do when you're replicating something so basic.

If you're interested in my work I'd be glad to PM you my work based on what type of models you were looking for (I.E. guns, planes, humans, stadiums, etc), but somehow I don't think that's what you were looking for.

12. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

hold on

@ The rhino , you dont have to rate yourself. Your asking if people need your service and those who will , will contact you. Please ,please dont let people side track you with questions like rate your work. Give it some time and Iam sure someone will need your service. I wish you best of luck!!!

@Mr. Ugly look he is asking if anyone needs his services. Dont turn this thread into one of your debates. We not here to jugde his work. He isnt going to show his best work to a group of strangers ,then find his work on someone else game or website.

13. therhino

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Yeah I figured, that's why I responded the way I did ("but somehow I don't think that's what you were looking for"). I really have no problem saying what I posted is nowhere near my best work because it isn't. Any developer I've done work for knows that and it's not a big deal to me what he thinks.