The Hunted - A Dual-Stick Multiplayer Shooter by F5 Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Brandon Pollet, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

#1 Brandon Pollet, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hey TouchArcade!

This is Brandon from F5 Games and I'm really excited to share news about our new game, The Hunted! We've been working on this game since early in 2013 and are now in the final stretch and expect The Hunted to hit the app store in late October or early November. Before I say anymore, check out our announcement trailer. (Dubstep Warning)

The Hunted is a fast paced dual-stick multiplayer shooter with limited field of view. The core concept with this game was to make a multiplayer shooter that captures the fun and excitement of an, old-school, FPS with a control scheme that actually works well on a phone or tablet.

Around that gameplay core we've added multiple gameplay modes, 9 unique hunters each with their own abilities, weapons, and special attacks, and we've perfected the multiplayer code such that you can play on a Wifi or Cellular connection!

[​IMG]

Be sure to check out our blog for more info and a couple more images ( http://f5games.com/news ).

We're going to release more info and videos over the next couple weeks so stay tuned and let me know what you think.

2. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Looks absolutely awesome, I always thought about a limited FoV in a twin-stick shooter would work.
    Can't wait, also, any pricing details?

3. Brandon Pollet

Outlander: Thanks! We're really happy with how the FOV stuff turned out. As for pricing, we're doing the League of Legends thing. Free to download and rotating free characters. The only IAP will be to unlock characters if you want to play as one of them when they aren't free.

4. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Will there be a beta test?

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, really liking the look of this. The FOV stuff really does make a lot of sense for a competitive shooter

6. Brandon Pollet

Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure if we'll do a true beta test or not but if we do we'll definitely pull people from the TA forums.

7. Brandon Pollet

Take a peek at the world of The Hunted

Hey everyone!

We've added a little background on the world of The Hunted over on our website. Check it out!

This first post sets the stage for why our characters are battling each other and how they came to find themselves in this situation. After this we're going to start a series of posts that focus in on each of the Hunters and show off their moves, attacks, and battle strategies.

[​IMG]

I'm also happy to announce that we've finished up our sound effects, and contracted with a great musician who heard about the game here on TA and he is finishing up three original music tracks for the game!

If everything goes to plan, which it almost never does, we should be submitting The Hunted to Apple this weekend!

Remember to check out the blog post and let me know what you think here on the forums.

8. Brandon Pollet

Meet the Hunter

We've just posted some new information about The Hunted over on our blog, check it out: Meet The Hunted - Human Hunter

[​IMG]

This is the first in a series of posts that showcases the playable characters in the game and gives you a look at their abilities and play styles. Today we're highlighting the Hunter and give you a look at his double barrel shotgun and tracking dart.

[​IMG]

Check out the blog for more info and action gifs then let me know what you think.

Also, I'm really happy to announce that we have submitted The Hunted to Apple for review! Based on the review times we're hoping to launch on either November 13th or 20th so it won't be long until you can jump online and beat us at our own game.

9. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Awww yeah! I literaly can't wait!

10. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Sooo still nothing?

11. Brandon Pollet

We've got another character specific post over on our website: Meet The Hunted - The Kid

[​IMG]

This post focuses on one of our faster characters, The Kid. He's all about zooming around the map and spraying lots of bullets at people as you go.

Here is a gif showing you how quickly The Kid can fill the screen full of bullets.

[​IMG]

He can also pull off a sweet combo with his grenades and special ability, but you'll have to hit the blog to see that one, the file is too large to post here.

In response to ItouchBrett we are still waiting to get accepted but we're expecting the game to launch on Nov 20. Our first submission was denied by Apple because of a small glitch but we've fixed it and resubmitted over the weekend.

I hope you like these character pieces, I'm going to try and post one every day between now and next Thursday so you can get a look at all the characters before launch.

12. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I just checked out your website and seeing all these gifs in a row gives me the impression of floating sticks, right ?
    Day one purchase here.

13. Brandon Pollet

Thanks, I'm glad you're excited!

Yes the default control scheme is floating sticks, we call it Dynamic Controls in the settings menu. We also have a Static Controls option in case people want it.

We tried to model our twin-stick controls off of the awesome work Halfbrick did in Age of Zombies. I've always loved the way their controls felt and I think we've done a great job of adapting that to suit The Hunted.

14. justplainjay

justplainjay Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this. The characters seem to be a little slidy, as far as movement goes...but I haven't played it so that's just speculation.
    Related question: will the characters just have different abilities and weapons, or do they have different movement properties? Such as speed, weight, and the like. Even if not it still seems pretty deep and I'm still very excited for this to come out!

15. Brandon Pollet

Thanks!

The characters may seem like they are sliding around a little as they move but some of that may just be the gifs. A lot of frames are skipped when the videos are turned into gifs and it can mask some of the detail.

The characters are all classified as either light, medium, or heavy characters. Those classes determine their starting point for speed, health, and durability. Then, based on playtesting, we tweak those values on each individual character just a little to help balance them out.

We wanted to give each character a distinct feel and play-style but not make them so different that it was hard to move between them whenever you wanted to. I feel like there are some characters that are better at certain game types than others so it's fun to get good with multiple characters so you can choose the right character for the circumstances.

Thanks for the questions!

16. justplainjay

Great to hear! Thanks for answering, Good luck on the rest of development, I'll wait as patiently as I can!

17. Brandon Pollet

Meet the Brute

This time we're talking about one of our heavy characters, The Brute!

[​IMG]

The Brute is a tough character that can soak up damage and leap into the air to slam into his enemies from above!

[​IMG]

We've got more info about the Brute's Bounce Cannon, Trap Mines, and special abilities over at our website, click here to check it out!.

We're still waiting to go into review but I'm expecting a launch next week. If you have any questions about the characters, or if there is anything else about the game you'd like me to highlight just let me know.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #18 rIcHrAnDoM, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    I'm on board with the amount of love and pride that's been poured into this one, day one purchase of character IAP to support this indie!

19. Brandon Pollet

This just made my day! Thanks!

20. justplainjay

This made my day :D