Touch Arcade Forums' iOS Original/Indie GoTY 2013 - OCEANHORN -

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 18, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite original/indie iOS game for 2013?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2014.
  1. Badland

23.8%
  2. Oceanhorn

26.2%
  3. Boson X

11.9%
  4. Mikey Hooks

4.8%
  5. Starborn Anarkist

3.2%
  6. Plasma Sky

1.6%
  7. 9th Dawn

11.1%
  8. Quadropus Rampage

5.6%
  9. Duet Game

2.4%
  10. Continue?9876543210

9.5%
  1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    You are more than welcome and I just hope it shed some light on some of the smaller indie games that never would have made it to the main poll. Like 9th Dawn. I had heard great things about it but never got around to getting it. And after seeing it make the final 10 here, I snatched it up.

Also plan on getting Continue?9876543210 --- trying to spread around things more this year.

I know I was at least familiar with just about every game of the 128 that were nominated, but it's nice to give them props too and others may not have heard of them. I really do hope if TA does an article on the forum GoTY that they include the top 10 indies as well.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Last 6 hours of voting!

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    First annual Touch Arcade Forums Indie/Original GoTY has finished!

Congratulations to the winners:

First Place:
    [​IMG]

Oceanhorn
    33 Votes

Second Place:

[​IMG]

Badland
    30 Votes

Third place:

[​IMG]

Boson X
    15 Votes

Thank you to everyone who participated. And a special thanks to undeadcow for his help and also for the main GoTY poll!

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks to you, Awp. Congratulations to the winners... I expected and wanted Badland to win one poll but Oceanhorn is more complete, more of a traditional game. And they won by a landslide. And then an outstanding runner, Boson X. Amazing games on the poll, amazing winners :)

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It was close. Just four more votes and Badland would have taken it. It was in the lead for a while.

6. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Second at both polls still says a lot about Badland, a game that could come preinstalled on the system for people to wonder at what the device can do. A game really suited for touchscreens. Is my best game of 2013. I love it.

I am also amazed that the 6 games that won both polls are all premium games. :)

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yes. And that's how it should be!!!

8. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Yep, premium games without IAP (Oceanhorn has but dont rely on it) here, and premium games mainly with wxpansion packs IAP except Badland on the other thread (which is OK with me). Rise of the premium games. It shows the best of what can be expected on iOS: Incredible runners with personality and awe, an amazing "indie" RPG, two great ports (one from consoles and one from a game board) from great games, and some of them exclusives. I am happy with the results. :)

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I had hoped 9th Dawn would do a little better but at least WQ was GOTY.

Thanks for all the work awp69 :)

10. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Seeing how it fared against some though competition (9th Dawn), Im going to buy it now. I dont have any RPGs right now :D

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #251 undeadcow, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks to Awp69 for hosting the indie game of the year competition!

In the main GOTY poll I couldn't find anything to vote for, but there several worthy titles made the cut. When I get time I'll be curious to more closely compare the two results. Maybe I'll have to break down and check out Oceanhorn one of these days.
    I don't think 9th Dawn really has much competition here, it's in a league of it's own. (Even though I didn't vote for it). Edit: 9th Dawn is one of the best games of 2013.

12. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Ups didn't mean it like that. Meant that it must be really good if it is in that list and much more if it ended 4th.

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Seems like I really need to get Oceanhorn. Well, at least Badland took second place in both polls. Thanks for setting up this thread Awp69, and giving indies their time in the spotlight

14. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    You do! Pick it up, its the best action rpg in the vein of Zelda on iOS. Lots of hours of adventures awaits you :)

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I also meant to say 9th Dawn rules.

16. Congrats Oceanhorn, and awp, you are a stud!!!

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks guys! And wanted to say to the devs of the 7 games in the poll that even though you didn't win, you were in the top 10 of 122 nominated great indie games and that alone is an accomplishment. So congrats to you as well.

A great year for iOS indies!

18. Fox-One-1

Fox-One-1 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Thank you!

Wow! Thank you so much everyone! We are truly honored for this title! Toucharcade forums has always had a special place in our hearts during the development of Oceanhorn and we will continue to have a close relationship with you guys here at the forums. Expect this to be the place to hear latest news first, along with our own development blog.

You awarded us for Indie GOTY 2013, but the adventure will continue in 2014! Stay tuned for new updates!

Best regards,
    Heikki and whole team

19. Vexka

Vexka Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Australia
    Oceanhorn is a truly amazing game! I only picked it up this morning and buy the looks, I've got a long way ahead! It really does deserve TA's Forums GoTY for 2013 (even though it's 2014 now lol). The looks, feel, gameplay, story, and everything just makes this game so, so awesome! Well done guys!
    Badland coming in 2nd is also amazing! I picked it up a bit late - that time it went free (I had never heard of it before hand) and the kinda spooky feel and one touch controls fit this game awesomely!

(Can't wait for future updates on both these games!)
    Well done to both dev's!!! :D
    ~Vexka

20. Tronfan

Tronfan Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    This is great news ! I was going to vote oceanhorn, with badland as a close second , so it came out like I wanted. Still haven't tried boson x.