Virtual controls are awesome (Brad). Get over it.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kartel, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I thought we we over the controls debate a year ago, and yet we have site editorials still crying about virtual controls; I thought I had clicked on 1up.com or Gamefaqs by mistake.

As much as we'd like to tout the virtues of literally playing to the strengths, the cold fact is the for every successful game without virtual controls, these are in the slim minority. Consider a few examples:

- For every Infinity Blade with touch controls that put a smile on your face, there's a dozen craptacular Chop Chop Cavemens that handle so awfully the developers are forced sheepishly to add virtual controls just to get the basic platforming working.

- Soosiz handles way better than the Rolando series.

- Nobody plays Blades of Fury seriously with swipe controls, you turn on the virtual controls.

- Street Fighter 4, the current and longstanding king of fighting games has made a home on iOS devices using virtual controls just fine.

- EA and Gameloft could not have sustained a market if they tried to support a market solely on non-traditional games, and neither would a lot of indies.

- The Toucharcade GOTY is Aralon, a game that wouldn't be as enjoyable without the option of virtual controls.

You try so hard to for a distinction between iOS gaming and "traditional gaming" as if the glory of iOS gaming was made possible only by this touch screen device. The fact is it's those developers and gamers, who were all brought up by gaming with buttons, extended themselves into a new platform, not abandon the culture that made them. So of COURSE you're going to see tons of those of games. And guess what, shoehorning swipe controls has time and time again been proven WORSE that the glut of virtual control schemes that are at least functional. And we have tons of examples of game that work just fine with VCS.

Your soapbox editorial doesn't jive with reality. Games with virtual controls are not only justified and necessary in the AppStore, but are enjoyable. They will coexist with touch/ tilt games, not be replaced by them. Swallow your damn pride and deal with it.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Take THAT, Brad Nicholson!!!

3. Brad Nicholson

Brad Nicholson 💪 <strong>Eli Sucks</strong> 💪

Dec 1, 2010
    While I welcome and appreciate the discussion, I think you're missing my larger point. Also, you're just pointing out bad design as a point in favor of virtual control.

4. Brad Nicholson

Dec 1, 2010
    Oh, right. Don't forget to swallow your pride, yadda yadda yadda.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #5 ImNoSuperMan, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    If only people would realize that everyone is different and has different likes/preferences instead of claiming they are wrong. Sigh.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This is seriously just your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Lol Brad you don't ever post in discussions? Poo.

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    There's a difference between stating an opinion, and stating an opinion as a fact.

"The simple fact of the matter is that our touch devices can do two things really well: touch and swipe — not A, B, X, or Y and analog sticks."

I had the pleasure of playing Street Fighter IV on a friend's iPhone. Virtual controls can be a breeze to use if they're done well.

8. Brad Nicholson

Dec 1, 2010
    Now you're just playing with context. C'mon. You like virtual controls! I don't!

9. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Here it goes expressing an opinion and you get shot.
    I do not agree with Brad, but that is a matter of taste. No need for this thread whatsoever.
    But .... I wish devs would try their best to use the new multitouch and create something cool as well. It is coming (see board games, various match3, chop chop guys still try, world of goo, etc.) .... I hope.

10. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    To the OP, ouch...

Yeah I like Virtual Controls just fine, most games make good use of them, but Brad was just stating his opinion. Kind of a shitty outlook on a matter, but that's an entirely different discussion.

I dunno.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Personally I love touch controls. I'd much rather use my touch screen than have the PSP's or DS's physical controls.
    But as ImNoSuperMan said, it's just a preference. There is no right or wrong answer as to which is better.

12. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Fair enough.

But perhaps you could give a fair shake to the good games that use virtual controls, especially if a large majority are able to tolerate them without any problem? Wouldn't it be more conducive to the site to recommend a game that a lot of people could enjoy instead of bashing it just because it uses a control scheme that you personally don't agree with?

13. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Gonna have to agree with this one. Some of my favorite iOS games -- Modern Combat 2, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawks 2, UMK3, NOVA, etc -- play fenomenally with touch controls!

In fact, I booted up the good ol' PSP to play some Star Wars Battlefront (I was a huge fan of the series back in the day and my 18974859348th viewing of Empire Strikes Back made me nostalgic for the game) and guess what? I absolutely HATED the control scheme. Shooters (be it first or third person, it doesn't matter) with only one stick, even if it's a hardware stick, sucks ASS. I'm having trouble even looking around, let alone shooting NPCs.

(And don't get me started on the graphics. Good lord, have you people seen some of these older PSP games...? Talk about aging bad. Truly, iOS gaming has come a long way)

Meanwhile in Modern Combat 2 I'm getting headshots like it ain't no thang.

Bottom line? There's DEFINITELY room for both. There are amazing games that utilize the touchscreen (PvZ, one of my all time iOS favorites, for instance) and there are stellar FPSs that make you forget you're playing them on a phone -- the aforementioned MC2, for one.

I think that touch screen controls perform pretty well and it upsets me when people quickly disregard them.

14. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    i used to hate the fake buttons on iphone games but i got used to them.

15. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    I love games that play too the idevices strengths ie World of Goo but at the same time i realise the need for virtual controls without them we would not be playing classic games like Street Fighter . As has been mentioned everyone has there preferences I for one sit up and take more notice of games that use touch as this is what the device is all about . And I thought that was what these forums are about discussion .

16. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    I like games that try to work WITH the platform rather than against it. So that being said there are some great virtual controls and some not so great ones. Some great innovative ones and some not so great ones. For both ways of control it is obvious when a developer is trying to force a square peg in a round hole though.

I hate slipping off virtual joysticks and failing at a game because my character is stuck. I hate tilting my iPod Touch to control a game. See? Can love and hate both at the same time.

Did we need a thread to incite emotions though? Definitely not. This --create a thread to oppose the front page author's OPINION-- is getting old fast.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You're posting this like Brad operates as some kind of rogue agent on TouchArcade, blatantly dismissing games. He doesn't. Everything we post usually goes through at least two people.

18. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    There is discussion and opinion sharing and then there is aggression. Having a conversation is great; shoving your opinion down someone's throat leaves no room for discussion due to the vocal cords being rendered useless at that point.

19. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Thank you.

20. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Dudes, y'all gotta chill. We're talking about games and personal preferences. No need to get riled up ;)