Gamebook Adventures - all reduced to $2.99 until Jan 4th

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by TheTinMan, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Happy Holidays from the Tin Man crew! Just to remind you that all 7 of our Gamebook Adventures titles are current discounted by 40% until January 4th. They can be played independently of each other, so just choose a story that appeals to you and give it a try! If you like reading epic fantasy novels, enjoy RPGs and adventure games then this could be for you. :)

For more info check out the Gamebook Adventures site or read our blog.

2. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you have a title that you would prefer for someone new to Gamebooks? I want to gift one of these to a friend, but I cannot decide which one to choose. i want to choose one that is not too hard to get through, but that is also fun and with a compelling story. I am leaning toward An Assassin in Orlandes or Temple of the Spider God but I'm open to another suggestion.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I think I started with book 5.but I think it's the kind Of thing that if you love it, you'll love it. As after reading one book I bought them all and get each new book as soon as they come out.

4. sbxsat

sbxsat Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Strange that the sale before christmas saw 5 of the 7 gamebooks went down to 0.99 cents but not this time.

Assassin in Orlandes is good if your friend likes to read.

Temple of the Spider God has more fights and shorter story.

I bought the others as well but haven't been through them yet as i'm taking my time trying to get all the achievements.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Aussie App Sale was behind those sales.

6. twiccan

twiccan Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Which are better between these and the Fighting Fantasy series? I have a $15 iTunes card still to spend, so I was thinking of either getting all of the FF series or 5 of the 7 of these.

Of course if you want to give me a code for two of them, I would gladly purchase the other 5 at the current price. ;)

7. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    i am not sure which is "better" storywise, but the Gamebook Adventure books have a MUCH better polish/look then the Fighting Fantasy ones.

the only thing Fighting Fantasy has going for it, is that they are based on the Steve Jackson books of old, and he was/is a very prolific tabletop game maker of old.

i would go on itunes and look at the pictures, youtube and look at some video, and then read the descriptions and see which story you might enjoy more.

i just bought all 7 Gamebook Adventures based on the FREE lite they have, plus i enjoy these types of things. as far as i could find, Fighting
    Fantasy did not have a lite version to try.

8. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Actually, tabletop Steve Jackson (American) and the Steve Jackson (British) who created the FF series with Ian Livingstone are two different people. The American SJ did write a couple of books in the series, but not any of the ones available in the app store.

The FF series does have the power of nostalgia on its side, and the books still hold up well, but the GA series is probably more solid overall, particularly because the handful of FF books available in the app store are mostly from early in the series (the 1980s, whereas the GA series came out over quarter of a century later), and the design was still being ironed out during their creation.

The sixth GA book (Wizard of Tarnath Tor) is easily the weakest in that series, but it's not really any worse than the FF books. A couple of GA books do unfortunately include an unfair FF-throwback where if you didn't choose the exact right path through the game, you can't win/progress; that mechanic really shouldn't be around anymore, especially in games that otherwise promote and reward exploration and experimentation.

9. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    Oh i had no clue, i guess i should have looked that up before spouting off at the mouth, hahaha.

but i agree, nostalgia for all of the create a character adventure books is huge. i wish someone would remake all the D&D ones i had as a child/teenager, seems like a good market for it.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Pah! That's just what the illuminati want you to think *runs away*

I liked Assassin in Orlandes. Haven't tried any of the others.

11. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    remember to have these books when I was young...died so many times lol...now digitalized and on sale...taken!!

12. These books are really good. My favourite was Revenant Rising - it has the longest story of them all, I think. The scale is massive, and it'll take a while to get the Ultimate Ending! (You have to do a bunch of specific things) but however, it's worth it in the end.

Gamebook 2 (Necromancer) is my second favourite, with Gamebook 1 (Assassin) as my third favourite. The second one had a very compelling story, and was also the first one I bought. Whilst waiting for Gamebook 3 (Rema), I also went on to buy gamebook 1. I don't regret the purchases at all! :D

If you love gamebooks in any way, shape or form, pick these up. Get Revenant first if you want the best of the lot! (Until GA 9, Infinite Universe!) (And then Orlandes 2! And then Judge Dredd!)

13. TheTinMan

TheTinMan Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Thanks so much for your positive comments on this thread! I've got some promo codes burning a hole in my virtual pocket, so if you've not playes GA before grab these before they go!

GA1:
    EFKHAWP6NPAA
    KFPYH7X9KN7T
    H36W4PJT79LJ
    6ENETTPPFM4M
    KLL9N9HTT9FF

GA3:
    FLAPW7FKMARA
    XY3MLJ3Y63W4
    XTXFA7ERHYNA
    6YE4RPHWA6KY
    64YKPFPXHFYK

If you enjoy, we'd love a review on the app store!

Happy New Year!

The Tin Man

14. mike32

mike32 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2011
    #14 mike32, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    Thank you for the promo code offer but they are all gone :(

15. twiccan

twiccan Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I already bought 1-4. I'll take a code for any of the others, though. :)

16. Oh, just buy them all! xD