Pi Day Sale -- Frax (iPhone) and Frax HD (iPad), 50% Off!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by BenW, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BenW

BenW Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi all,

The apps Frax and Frax HD are half-price to celebrate Pi Day, through Mar 16! Below is the link to Frax HD (iPad only). You can search the iTunes store for "Frax", which will show the iPhone version as well. The app currently has a 5 Star rating. Enjoy!

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I bought Frax HD yesterday and it is an exceptionally cool app if you have any interest in fractals or even just really neat computer graphics. It is well worth the two dollars.

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I bought it yesterday too, it's great and quite relaxing exploring the effects that light and color etc have.

4. BenW

BenW Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Sheldon, it's true that it's not a game per se, in the sense of high scores or cranky poultry, but it does seem to have found a strong connection with the puzzle-game crowd. The realtime interaction certainly feels game-like, and it allows you to create visual art in a similar way that a game like Guitar Hero allows you to "create" music.

Either way, if you try it, I truly hope you enjoy it, as much as I've enjoyed developing it!

5. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #5 mrbiggles, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Iaps????????

Wasn't sure about this one with all the IAPS and upgrade to PRO $7, was thinking this should or go free later on....:confused:

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

IPHONE $1 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id568827824?mt=8

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    The standard version has tons of features and is a great value. It is a bargain at the sale price, if the subject matter is of interest. I am not sure if I care about the advanced features the Pro version offers.

7. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    #7 mrbiggles, Mar 15, 2014
    thanks for the info

8. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Mrbiggles, not sure what you mean by "all the IAPs", there is just the one for the pro upgrade.

This app is incredible. I may very well be tempted to do the pro upgrade at some point.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I didn't even know there were iaps.

10. BenW

BenW Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    #10 BenW, Mar 15, 2014
    There are basically two IAP's in Frax. The first is for the "Pro" upgrade, which gives precise control over all aspects of the fractals, plus a wide variety of new options and tools. A video is embedded in the app that illustrates some of the Pro features, and you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.

The second are for "Cloud Credits". Local renders on the device at native Retina resolution are always free and unlimited, but since iDevices aren't quite supercomputers yet, they can be somewhat restricted in the size and scope of the fractal images they can natively produce. (It takes the iPhone 4s about a minute to render a decent-quality 640x960 image, for instance.) Apple also prohibits apps that run too hot or drain the battery excessively. So to get around these issues, Frax maintains a fleet of servers in the Cloud that can render images up to 50 megapixels with 81x anti-aliasing, for just a few pennies each to cover the ongoing computation/storage/transfer costs. The "cloud credits" system is used for these ultra-quality renders.

A ton more information about the app, as well as some ultra-res galleries and showcases to look through, are available on the Frax website: http://fract.al/ And of course I'm happy to answer questions here too :)

11. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Highly recommended! Tested on iPad Air. Smooth animations, some flickering during highspeed hyper-zoom movements on the very narrow edges of the screen.

Fantastic app! Thanks for the heads-up and the sale!

12. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Agreed. Even upgraded to pro myself

13. mrbiggles

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    cloud credits?

opps just ment the Pro Upgrade and the Cloud Credits

thanks for nfo ;)