Has anyone submitted a video recording app to the store and got rejected?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Baseballbent, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Baseballbent

Baseballbent New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    I'm just curious if apple has denied it or if it just hasn't happened yet.

2. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    the jailbroken scene has had a video recording app for a year, so it's possible. I'm not sure if someone has made an app store app, but Apple won't let it in until (or if) they make a video recording app and let it in as an improved version of a video recording app.

3. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I doubt they will approve any such thing because one glaring hardware improvement Apple can make to the iPhone is adding true video capability. Anything that messes with their business plan gets axed. Apple always incrementally improves their hardware.

4. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    #4 Need, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    I think to make the camera take video, the software has to bypass Apple's API to the camera, and hook into the hardware directly. That would violate the iPhone SDK agreement.

5. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Then how does something like Night Camera work? It's kind of the same idea... I guess. I would imagine Apple would like to see a recording app in the store. Think of it, it's like the Emoji applications. They're earning 30% of all the profits of an app that should be a feature on the device.

6. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I do think that Ustream tried that, and were forced to remove it.

7. Baseballbent

Baseballbent New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Ive seen some apps where its a group of quick snapshots. its close but its not really video recording.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    more like stopmotion, which isn't even close to video recording. apple, what the hell's wrong with you?

9. <Hollister>

<Hollister> Well-Known Member

Jailbreak and get cycorder. It's great.

10. Need

Need Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    It is not the same idea. Night camera uses the accelerometer (which has available to the developer) to detect when the iphone is stationary and trigger the shutter. There are other apps out there that could take stop motion pictures using the camera API, but there is a long delay between pictures. In order to take video, the delay between pictures has to be very short and apple doesn't provide that interface to the developers.

I don't think anyone really knows the reason why they don't do it. Just like "cut and paste". Maybe they are just taking their time to provide their own. Or maybe they think it will drain the battery too fast. Or maybe AT&T told them not to do it so people won't use up too much of the 3G bandwidth to send video to friends. Who knows....