Universal Wrestle Jump by Otto-Ville Ojala

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    As a big fan of Sumo Hoppers, I do have a couple of suggestions for future updates:

- Add advanced controls option, which makes the player in control of the angle and amount of stretch of the leg, perhaps changing angle by dragging the finger around the button that's already there?
    - Add replay feature.
    - Add level editor, maybe.
    - Add wind feature.
    - Add speed control.
    - Add ability to change player's colors.

Oops, I realize now this would make the game identical to ... Sumo Hoppers. Oh, well.
    But honestly, I LOVE the game in its current state, the simplicity makes it beautiful. One button games are perfect fit for touch screens.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    My eldest beat me (once) but I beat my youngest. They both love it and were laughing alot. It really is good. Random but not random. Good old fashioned fun.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... multiplayer is all fun and games, imma challenge everyone i meet. LOL.

On the downside, I HAVE NEVER BEATEN THE BLACK WRESTLER. Not once... In 23 games. Yes, i counted.

4. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Argh noooo damn my iPod 4g everyone talking about this and It sounds cool and involves physics and wrestlers. Everything I like in a game :D. Can't wait to actually play it.

5. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    And suddenly I remembered something I always thought was missing from Sumo Hoppers: a FOUR-player mode. Imagine two more dudes, upside down on top of the existing ones, with legs pointing upwards. Would control pefectly well I guess, simply add two more buttons. How about that? :)

6. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

#26 oivoi, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    Redegard, those are all good ideas :) A few of them I've already implemented tested on Wrestle Jump and might end up in some of the upcoming versions of the game. The four player mode sounds so ridiculous that I think I'll make a quick test version it just for the heck of it :D That'd be a totally different game then, though :)

slamraman, that's so cool to hear that your boys like the game too! :)

Exact-Psience, as for the Black wrestler - I still lose to him like 50% of the time and I've been playing the game for like 2 months now… Some kind of a difficulty option might be implemented in the future. Hopefully you'll beat him too someday :)

oooooomonkey, the problems with iPod 4g most probably have something to do with its relatively low RAM. Wrestle Jump's textures are so large (and there's quite a few of them) that the devices memory runs out. I might have to reduce the texture sizes on iPod 4g. I'll get back to you next week with a test build! I'm pretty much off the grid this weekend so I can't do much work on the game then. Thanks again for helping me out!

In the first update of Wrestle Jump there's probably just going to be the iPod 4g fix, a few more levels and some minor performance optimizations so I can get the update out as quickly as possible!

7. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    Sounds great, more levels would be nice. As a matter of fact, a idea worth looking into would perhaps be randomized levels. Either the level structure itself, the terrain, or simply added stuff like creates etc., which could be placed randomly on the levels to make each arena fresh.
    The possibilities, the possibilities! :)

8. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    #28 veecheech, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    @oivoi does this game run well on the iPod Touch 3G? I see there are issues with the 4G so I'm a bit hesitant... Looks great!

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    It probably won't even let you download it onto a 3G.

10. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Redegard, adding random game objects (such as those crates you mentioned) on the levels sounds brilliant. I'll do some tests on that, thanks! And "tack so mycket" for the positive review on the swedish app store!

veecheech & Gabrien, as Gabrien mentioned Wrestle Jump cannot be downloaded onto iPod Touch 3g for now. iPod Touch 4g support will be added soon, though.

11. Redegard

Redegard Member

May 11, 2009
    You're welcome. I did it because you finnish guys are also responsible for Liero, another DOS favorite of mine. :)

I agree on your point that a four player mode will turn it into something else completely. That's two different ways to go - a good game-as-it-is, without many options to change the gameplay, or something really deep and customizable.
    You could of course have a "simple" game mode, and then a seperate "custom game" mode where the fun stuff begins. :)
    Nah, but you get my point. Moi Mokulat!

12. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Redegard, yeah I get your point :) I think I'm going to keep the game really simple for now as I think it's a part of its charm. But some more gameplay changing options will be featured in the next versions.

And I'm glad to tell you guys that the iPod Touch 4th generation problems are solved now! Thanks to oooooomonkey for testing the test builds! The update containing the fix (among other small tweaks) will be submitted to App Store within 24 hours.

13. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just have to come and express my love for this game, since getting my iPod4G 2 years ago there's only been 4 games so far that have earned a permanent place on my device because of there crazy physics based gameplay. (Super trick snowboarder, puncho fighto, fight drunk 3D and stair dismount) and now Wrestle jump.
    The gameplay is so simple, just one button to kick out your leg and it works so well. While the single player is great for a quick pick up n play game It really comes to life in multiplayer (same device) you both have one button on either side of the screen and you just have to hit the other persons head into the ground or wall to score a point.
    The graphics are really nice and crisp with bright colours.
    Don't know what else to say its just good fun to play.

14. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

#34 oivoi, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the kind words oooooomonkey! I'm so glad you enjoy the game!

I'm happy to announce that Wrestle Jump can now be played in your web browser, too! Full version, for free! Grab a friend and try it out on Kongregate's website:
    http://www.kongregate.com/games/oivoi/wrestle-jump !

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Otto (can I call you that?), is there any chance you'd consider adding an online multiplayer mode like I mentioned in an earlier post? I'd love to be able to whoop Gabrien's ass left, right and center in some Wrestle Jump. :p

16. oivoi

oivoi Well-Known Member

Yes, online multiplayer mode is something I'm considering for future projects - maybe even Wrestle Jump! :) But in the near future Wrestle Jump is probalby just going to get more levels, some minor tweaks and Game Center achievements. And yea, Otto is my name :)

17. sh13ld

sh13ld Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Co-founder & CEO
    Finland
    What an awesome game. Really simple controls, yet the gameplay gets never boring. And I agree with the previous comments: more content + 4 player mode!

18. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    How is it possible that a simple game like this can be so much fun xD i played single-player and enjoyed it a lot. Yesterday I've played it with a friend and after a few seconds he said that this is a great game :) can't wait for GC-Achievements. And an online GC-multiplayer would be perfect.. even as a IAP, I will buy it without a second thought!

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, honestly I still don't get it. I don't think I've ever come across an app that is so enticing despite how simple it is. Even after playing this every day for over a week, it still feels like every time I play it is the first time. Such a great, great game.

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Woot! It now works on ipod4G!
    (I've been playing the beta version for the past week)
    :D