Finally, iTunes 11

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by backtothis, Nov 29, 2012.

1. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Didn't notice that, thanks.

2. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #22 dclose, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Click on the arrow in the top-right upper menu area while you're downloading.

[url="http://www.cultofmac.com/203679/the-ultimate-list-of-itunes-11-tips-tricks-and-changes-roundup/]Cult of Mac tips article says[/url]:

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Recarding backing up to iCloud, that's already in iOS. I have all our devices backing up to iCloud, not to the computer. I restored when going to iOS 6 and it restored all my saves and such from the cloud, no problem.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #24 backtothis, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    Finally figured out how to let iTunes 11 count your total songs/apps. View -> Show Status Bar. Sweet! Have 76 GB of apps on my MBP atm.

Still don't know how to reduce the absurd size of the app icons on iTunes though.

5. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I'm honestly not digging the new interface/layout at all. Same with the freaking search feature in the AppStore- I don't want a freaking overview of each individual app, give me a friggin list!

Is it a trend to make GUIs less user friendly/more annoying this year? 'Hey guys we improved it! It looks all cool and shiny n' stuff, and is easier to use than ever!' WTF?! No, it's not. Between this and the new PSN, I'm not sure what makes me more irritated. Probably this, because at least PSN actually has a visible, coherent interface (it's what the I in GUI stands for Apple).

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Hate the new interface. It's just not informative enough. I've since done everything I can to disable it and bring it closer to v10.
    The new search is especially terrible. Because it shows album art and app icons, the search-as-you-find function causes it to hang for several seconds between each character you type. Luckily this can be disabled by turning off the "Search Entire Library" in the magnifying glass drop-down.

Probably the worst part is that v11 seems to be almost only cosmetic. iTunes still screws up device syncing. It still crashes. It still gives you the occasional issue connecting to the store. And it still hogs a disgusting amount of RAM even when not playing any media.

They also removed to of the functions that I liked the best about iTunes.
    - now you can't open a playlist in a separate window
    - there's no more auto DJ (The new Up Next doesn't have nearly the same features)

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Thinking of just sticking with iTunes 10... The only thing is, I'm buying a 5th gen next week and won't I have to update to the latest version of iTunes to be able to restore my new iPod to my old back-up?

I'm such a n00b at these things. :p

8. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Eh, went ahead and took the plunge. Updated to iTunes 11 and man, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. Once I turned the sidebar on again, I really dig it. The Up Next feature is great, hopefully that'll make it into iOS sometime!

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The album art fading into the background is really annoying me. It just ends up fading half of the image itself and hiding a lot of the nice detail. Plus the fade itself isn't very smooth at all. If I were a graphic designer (and I do dabble) I wouldn't have let it out the door like that. It's nitpicking, but isn't that what's supposed to make Apple products one step above the rest?