Xbox 720?? PS4......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GaZ-OiD, Feb 3, 2013.

1. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Are you excited?
    Do we need these new consoles?
    Will you be getting one?
    What would you like to see from these consoles?
    How much would you pay for one?
    if you already have a 360 or PS3 will you simply buy its successor or buy the best new console (if the prices are similar)

Or is ios gaming now more than enough to meet your gaming needs and enjoyment?

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I actually thought about this the other day and I've come to the point in my life where I can't justify buying a new game console. I just don't play games enough. Any gaming I do has to be in short sessions (on the toilet) or in bed while my wife is sleeping so really only my ipad, iPhone or a handheld console.

3. AlexsIpad

AlexsIpad Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    London, England
    Sony is holding an event on the 20th Feb that will apparently reveal the ps4

4. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    This! My goodness, I'm not the only one!

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I gave my Xbox away a year ago and my PS3 is gathering dust. This is pretty much a result of getting my iPad and realizing I really enjoy more casual games. I will follow the new consoles with interest, but buying one will take something really special. The only thing that has me interested in gaming outside of mobile is the Oculus Rift.

6. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I have been a dedicated gamer for the best part of thirty years from the Acorn Electron to my iPad 3. This is the first time I am not using a dedicated console in years and my Xbox is packed away. I will be very interested in the new consoles but as already said, they are going to have to be something very special for me to buy one. The quality of some of the stuff we can now play on our iOS devices is superb with prices to match. Saying that once next generation console demos start appearing to get my juices flowing it will be very interesting to see how I react and can I be seduced all over again? lol :)

7. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Really can't wait for the Xbox 720. About time for an upgrade worthy.

And ps4, I mean it's a bit redundant for online gaming. I mean 2 weeks in everyone has hacked it to kingdom kong and it's boring.

8. Not me, like my new ipad alot. Would much rather save my money for an ipad 5 or 6, than buy a console. Portability is king. I do wish Apple would come out with a wireless joystick soon so I can play my ipad as a console via hdmi even more. I don't think I will ever again buy a console, my ipad will always be my favorite console.

9. Qurb

Qurb New Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Home of the Red Sox.
    Really can't wait till Feb. 20th to see if Sony reveals the PS4.

10. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Both consoles are slated for late 2013 releases so they must make an appearance fairly soon :)

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Depends on what DRM they stick on them if it's as bad as I've heard rumoured (locking disks to the console and having to be constantly online) I'll just get myself the best gaming PC I can instead.

Also bit worried about the supposed leaked specs of the PS4 which seem to suggest it's less capable than the PS3.

12. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    In what way?? PS4 is supposed to be ten times more powerful than PS3

I'm sure the days of second hand game sales and exchanges with retailers will be well and truly over. That just won't be an option anymore

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    From what I've read the PS3 has eight 3.2ghz cpus or SPE's in the cell core. while AMD's is going to be eight 1.6 ghz cpus. Half the speed of the cell in the PS3.

Now truthfully I do think the new one will probably blow away the old one but on paper it doesn't seem much and doesn't excite me.

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Consoles will always be underpowered in comparison to PCs anyway.

15. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Not fair to compare because consoles cost a fraction of a decent gaming pc.

I don't think there will be any worries in both new consoles that they won't blow their predecessors.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You have a fair point there.

I've never been a fan of console gaming really, subpar framerates and graphics plus control issues for first person shooters.

No RTS games, either, or at least decent controls for one.

17. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    A quality gaming pc is where it's at but for the rest of us on a budget consoles certainly do their job..... but gaming is changing and on the move gaming will eventually take over.

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Honestly just take a take a family desktop PC that you likely have at home, make sure you have a halfway decent CPU and lotsa ram (which is cheap) then just buy a nice video card and you're done. No need to spend $800+ on a gaming only PC, just use the family/home one slighly souped up.

19. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm divorced living on my own so all I have/need is a laptop.

Plus my iPad 3 which I much prefer to use anyway for the net and just about everything else as well.

if Apple can come up with a vastly improved iPad before the next gen consoles hit then my money could well go in that direction but at the moment I'm more than happy with my iPad as it is now, so Microsoft and Sony might well be in with a shout with the Xbox probably in with the bigger shout as I have been pleased with my 360