Dragonvale: Strategies/Tips (NOT an add me thread)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by darren12, Sep 18, 2011.

1. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would have been less annoyed if the cash generating rates of metals have increased as well, but they haven't. Even with the changes it makes more sense breeding magnets and irons for cash. Unless my math is off. Oh well, it was a good ride while it lasted. Off to breed the new earth, I mean dodo. Extra habitat would've been great just about now.

2. Deeneez

Deeneez Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Pacific northwest
    Got my steel first try with metal+snow. :p. But second attempt failed. Failed also with the iron+frostfire. Out of gems, so now I wait before trying again. :cool:

3. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Could there also be a Lewis Carol reference? He mentioned dodo in Alice in Wonderland. Lewis Carol/Lewis Dodoson...

4. Yasha65

Yasha65 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I believe yours is a much better guess! :D

5. Lao-shu

Lao-shu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I think I have a dodo dragon on the way...unless there is some chance of a 16-hour fail. But I can't think of another dragon that takes 16 hours, off the top of my head. Too bad it's just another recolour, though.

And YES, we really need more habitats, or better yet, BIGGER ones! Level 3 habitats would be so awesome, right about now. Backflip, are you listening?

6. girlpower

girlpower Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey Yasha, same thing happened to me last night too.
    Only had minutes left to go in the colosseum with metal, then it just disappeared and air appeared in there, no gems, this could be a glitch and if so, there's. O point even putting anything in there till its rectified, I may have also got a gold medal achievement :(

Now that the selling price of metal type dragons has dropped (except rust?) this will just make breeding them for money and help achieve gold status shrines that much slower....and just my personal opinion here cause its really annoying me now....why will BS not up the habitat allowance....great to have new dragons but I am having to hide more and more away to accommodate them plus having the focus on activating shrines to gold means displaying the biggest dragon earners and hiding the others....feels like this is starting to defeat the whole purpose of all that we go through to get one or two of every kind....the game play seems to be moving in another direction?

7. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Same thing happened today with my medal dragon in the collosseum. I want more habitats would be nice.

8. TIMELESS

Sep 10, 2009
    I can not get the steel dragon I have tired iron and frostfire 4 0r 5 times medal and snow and medal and mine. All fails 10 pr 14hour fails. I had to buy the first bloom to breed a second one.

9. Deeneez

Deeneez Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Pacific northwest
    Metal+Mine worked for my second Steel...yeah! :D

Now to try for the hidden Dodo ;)

10. TIMELESS

Sep 10, 2009
    What hidden dragon.i know your kidding .

11. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3591 girlpower, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    You just have to be patient and keep trying.....
    Save your gems TIMELESS, it's only early days yet so no need to think of buying one after only a few fails...nothing has been said about it being a limited one so the only rush is in your mind hehe.
    Have a look on wikia and see what other combos are being used successfully.
    Don't get me wrong, of course you can buy one if you decide to but just suggesting you give it time

I was very lucky and got my first on my second try but with a different combo.
    Since then I am currently on my second fail and just had my first dodo fail.....
    all part of playing DV.....one thing I know from my experiences.....many fails make you appreciate the dragon that much more when you finally succeed....my exception was my first Sandstorm (Thorn) still don't like that one, but yeah it's personal LOL :D

Good luck, it will happen....

12. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    No he's not kidding.
    If you read some earlier posts, you will see it does exist and Yasha already has the egg in her nursery....it's just not been released into our egg market yet

13. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3593 girlpower, Apr 15, 2012
    Good work, congrats....currently got a fail happening with that combo.
    Just tried earth/chrome for dodo (via wikia) but also fail so once finished I will try Yashas combo.....also mentioned was earth/willow as successful.
    God luck with your dodo

14. TIMELESS

Sep 10, 2009
    Thank you Girlpower. I just need more patience. I will keep trying. Anyone have the dodo combo . Congrats to all that have the new ones. Good luck to all still trying.

15. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    We all do sometimes TIMELESS....hang in there, you will feel proud of yourself and happy to have saved your gems for a rainy day :)

Just been on wikia and will post some successful combos for you all to think about trying, good luck to everyone

16. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Some successful DODO combos to try

Hey everyone :)

Just been lurking on wikia and noted down some successful combos to post here.

Most successful so far seems to be;
    EARTH/CHROME or vice versa (I got one fail so far)
    EARTH/WILLOW or vice versa
    EARTH/FOG
    BLAZING/EARTH

Hope these help someone ;)

17. Yasha65

Yasha65 Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #3597 Yasha65, Apr 15, 2012
    TIMELESS, you need to be patient. And rant a little. Or a lot! :p Girlpower knows what she is talking about, today 5 tries is a piece of cake. Not trying to diminish your effort though. Keep on going! *thumbs up*

I'll try to post pictures of the little Dodo guy, but I haven't figured it out yet. Have to open an account first...

Egg in hatchery and little guy in earth habitat for now. Unfortunately I don't have room for him in a habitat that doesn't give a negative. We'll see if he ends up in Hibernation cave... ;)

Thanx for the Dodo combos, girlpower. I've tried them all and the successful one for me was earth/fog on EBI. In breeding cave I have had nothing but failures.

18. girlpower

Sep 29, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #3598 girlpower, Apr 15, 2012
    Hopefully breeding a second steel.
    Last fail just finished and this time I used iron/snow....14 hrs, so fingers crossed its not a moutain.......

I had previously tried metal/snow (successful on wikia) got a fail so this time went with iron/snow....thanks MaLiesa, seems it may have worked for me too ;)

Dodo fail almost finished, Yashas combo next.
    @ Yasha...just been visiting to see your Dodo....nice vivid blue which stands out nicely in your earth habitat...nice job and how cool that you have yours already, but not without a great effort and thank you for sharing your combo with us all
    here....it's so nice to have such helpful, supportive people on here....

I do miss the posters that used to frequent here regularly though :(
    Would love to hear from them sometime?

Also to any who come here and have a read, please think of joining us and sharing your DV experiences ;)

19. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Metal event glitch

Add me to the list of people who had a metal dragon in the colosseum, only for it to get sent back to its habitat and the event replaced with an air event.

Funny thing is I didn't even realize it until a day later when It finally dawned on me why I had forgot to put a dragon in the colosseum... I didn't forget! It emptied itself. :(

Sucks, because gold medal for metal event is the last achievement I need. I just hope this glitch gets fixed before the next metal event comes up.

20. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Steel combo

Oh, and here's another combo for steel that I had success with. Brass + lichen.

I had metal and cold in my epic breeding cave, so I was trying alternatives in the normal one, and bam! 14 hour timer.