GameClub Mikey Shorts (by BeaverTap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Okay sure, thanks :D

On-topic: so many cheap 99cent releases that I still haven't decided where to invest the dollar in. Good week of releases.

3. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'd vote for Mikey Shorts, but then I am biased. :D But you do get a complete game with no IAP!

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yup... gotta go with Mikey Shorts... =oP

Nothing else has really piqued my interest... well... nothing else that isn't free anyway... =oP

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wow, I must live in some sort of alternate universe. People were saying last week was generally a bad week, while I thought it was stellar. This week seems to be one of the worst weeks in recent memory. Apart from Mikey Shorts, the only game that looks interesting is Toybox, IMO.

Hell, even the free games look bad this week. >_>

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Last week wouldve been good if Horn was supported on iPod.... I got no games last week besides Kingdom Rush. Anyway, think I'll get this :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh god. This game is so addictive. I cant stop tapping that replay button because i didnt do a perfect run to beat my previous scores, and to be on that leaderboards.

And ive only been replaying 1-1 and 1-2.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If Blood Roofs were released today, i couldve handed them 3 bucks easily.

For a buck, Mikey Shorts is a f**kin steal. This game should at least be 2 bucks in my book. If this was my game, id price it at 2 bucks, then occasionally put it on sale at $1. :D

9. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Ah...gotta love no iAP in a game xP

10. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    That's what we want to hear! We've done our job right if you are finding the game to be addictive. :) And it is crazy how many times you can play 1-1 given how simple it is. I know because we played it a lot during testing, and it amazed me how we were able to continually improve our scores.

I saw that you got the #1 global spot on 1-1. But that meanie syntheticvoid overtook you!

11. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    #31 Fep52, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    I absolutely agree, it feels like it should be priced anywhere between $2-4 with an early adopters bonus, especially for the amount of replayability speed runners provide.

Onto the game, it really is a lot of fun and an excellent example of the genre. Amazingly, it meets the high expectations I had when I first heard mikeg123 and qpawn were developing a game. I wasn't initially attracted to the visual style when I first saw the YouTube preview, but that must have been an earlier build as the art design is now crisp with loads of charm.

IGN recently ran an article on gaming dry spells which really resonated with me (http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/08/21/gaming-dry-spells) as I feel like I've been in a bit of a lull with iOS, PC and PS3 games. Despite all of the premium iOS games being released in the past few months, nothing has really clicked with me - not Fieldrunners 2, not Random Heroes, not Pocket Planes, nor Jack Lumber (although 10000000 was sublime) and so on. I think Mikey Shorts is what I've been looking for.

Thanks Beavertap.

12. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Same here.

13. mikeg123

Sep 23, 2009
    And thank you for the kind words, Fep52! That means a lot to us. I'm glad that you are enjoying the game. You should see some screen shots of the initial visual style we had. Scary!

Seems a lot of folks really enjoy Mikey Shorts after playing, so we're hoping that people will give it a chance.

Thanks, DPP13!

14. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    This board has me hyped for this game. Looks like it's got that retro feel which is nice. Waiting patiently......

15. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I have to say this the best platformer on iOS to date - Random Heroes was a big disappointment for me. Dare I say it but it has that replay ability that Jet Car Stunts has which means revisiting levels is not a hindrance but a pleasure for time improvements.

This game deserves to do well!

16. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Glad this and One Tap Hero are coming. Terrible week for games, saved by these two gems. And only .99 each. #whatasteal

17. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Three games so far Mikey Shorts, One Tap Hero and Toybox :)

18. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    Wow what a great game!! I haven't played such a quality platformer on my iPhone probably since 1-bit ninja. This is my game of the week for sure and a absolute steal at 99c

19. Fep52

Fep52 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The more I play the more I enjoy it. It really is an excellent game, without doubt the best [non-Quickhook] platformer on the App Store. It easily sits alongside Rocketcat's games in terms of quality. And special mention must go to the level design, each of the levels flow beautifully. It all serves to add a huge level enjoyment to the player's quest to shave a couple hundredths of a second off their best time.

What an age we live when a game of this quality can be bought for 99 cents. I would almost encourage BeaverTap to add IAP to the game so I can pay what I think it's worth, which is far more than a dollar.

If TA don't give a 5 star review it'll be a travesty.

(sorry, I can't stop gushing)

20. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, speedrun platformers have never been my thing, so my expectations were pretty low with this title. Turns out the others were just doing it wrong. Or rather, weren't really fully committed to a singular focus. (Now that I think about it, it's probably just this that rubbed me the wrong way about them in the past: they felt like neither fish nor fowl.) I'd go so far as to say that this is the first true "speedrun" platformer I've played.

Put simply, here is a game that's wholly focused on, and fully committed to, a singular purpose: tasking the player with getting from A to Z in the shortest amount of time. Removal of enemies is key; it eliminates both any distraction, as well as any potential for frustration from the player's path. The rest of the game is very much designed and built with this singular focus in mind; and the benefits show at every turn.

Concepts and ideas need legs to stand on. Luckily, the execution here fully matches the design. Controls are flawless and fully movable to any position on the screen you choose, both on the iPad and iPhone. Levels are cleverly designed, providing subtle ways to shave seconds off your best time.

Notably as well, here is a game that effortlessly adjusts itself to anybody's skill level by its very nature. A five year old could happily play it simply running around collecting coins without another care in the world, while the most hardcore of players potentially could spend hours on a single level perfecting their time.

Substantial amounts of care and attention to detail have clearly gone into this project. It's being offered to us at minimum cost, without avarice or cynicism. You should buy a copy.