Will we ever have a game where ppl will buy an iphone just for that game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jt09, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    The wii had wii sports and super smash, xbox has halo, will there be an iphone game like that?

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    iPod touch, maybe. I doubt for the iPhone. And not for a loooong while. Maybe in a couple generations.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I don't buy a DS or PSP, because I can't make any phone calls with them ;)

4. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    you forgot that ps3 has killzone 2 and resistance 2

5. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

I say LiveFire.

Sure, Modern Combat looks incredible, but I doubt itll last long. And when multiplayer hits, idk. I just dont trust Gameloft with the "Lasting Appeal" section of any game.

6. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    itouch is meant for mp3. More people use their music function on there than they do apps (I do anyway, that's just me). I originally bought it for my music, and then later on got sucked into the apps. So as far as people buying it for a specific app, no, at least not anytime soon.

7. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    It would probably have to be a really deep multiplayer game to draw enough interest for people to wanna buy an iphone just to play it. And I mean a really really good one, would have to be compareable to console quality.

8. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    The ability to play a multiplayer FPS anywhere will undoubtedly bring in at least convert* a couple hundred people to buy iPhones.

*I say convert because no one will buy an iPhone out of the blue, by convert I mean people who were debating Phone "X" and the iPhone would now choose iPhone.

9. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    I don't know anyone who's bought a ps3 only for those games tho..

10. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    what he probably means is that there is a bundle with those 2 games included. That's incentive to buy the system with those 2 good games included for free.

11. JediOne

JediOne Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Guess I'm an exception

Well I bought my Touch (1st gen.) for the games, at the time the AppStore went live - I wanted to experience playing portable games in a new way (accelerometer and touch screen - saw the potential for playing racing games with the accelerometer), so I didn't buy it for any one game but for lots of games :)

I also bought the Nintendo DS and DS Lite for the new playing experience (dual screens and touch screen) and the Sony PSP (big screen and nice graphics), so you could say I buy the platform/console based on the potential it has... Of course, if there aren't a lot of games produced for the platforms then I'm left with a piece of hardware that doesn't do much...:rolleyes:

12. CP1789

CP1789 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    i really dont thinks so if you want an iphone right now its like $700 without a contract and an ipod touch is $199 i think. if u buy an iphone with a plan u will be spending a lot of money for the data plan

no will buy an iphone or an ipod touch for a game, you could get a ds and play pokemon or a psp and play god of war which are cheaper. or instead of the $700 iphone you could get an xbox 360 or a ps3 and a couple game as well.

13. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    $300, mon brilliance :rolleyes:

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't. I use my iPod Touch for apps and my iPod Shuffle for MP3s.

I wanted it for all the potentially good games out there, but the one that really convinced me the iPhone was a noteworthy gaming platform and pushed me to buy it was Edge.

15. *Fidayen*

*Fidayen* Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Student
    There already is

I am getting a new Ipod Touch for Worms, you wont get anything more epic than Worms!!

16. jt09

jt09 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Have you looked at the review for worms on the iphone? It's gotten terrible reviews.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is true. Plus Worms is on PC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, N64, PSP... and a whole bunch more. You must have at least one of those... play one of the ones with decent reviews!

If you want a Worms-like game on iPhone though, Pocket Tanks is much more suited to the platform.

18. *Fidayen*

*Fidayen* Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Student
    Only the ignorant will believe those reviews, half of them are upset because the game is not shipped with online MP, and others because of performance issues,everyone has said that the game itself is great, Team 17 have already submitted update 1.1 which addresses many of these issues, and 2 major updates including 3.0 framework and full infrastructure internet play is already planned, no one in those reviews took this into consideration, the game costs 4.99$, for unlimited hours of entertainment this is more than a steal..

PS- i have played the game on my friends Ipod touch 2nd gen OS 3.0 and it ran perfectly and feels just like the PC version, has fewer features but that is understandable, not to say that if it ran with lag i would have lost confidence in Team 17 to correct that

19. CP1789

CP1789 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    the iphone without a contract from the apple store straight up is $700 i know cuz i know people who bought em i i also bought some for my cousins

20. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

I still dunno why. Dont pay attention to em. Worms works amazing on the touch. Still play it all the time.