Gameloft hD

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by writingsama, Dec 9, 2010.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Hey guys, how long does it usually take Gameloft to get their act together and release HD versions, usually?

Thanks

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't have an iPad so I don't look out for their HD versions, but from what I've noticed, they seem to take at least a month. There's no way of knowing for sure though, Gameloft are highly unpredictable.

3. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    also, second question:

I have tons of gameloft games on my 2g touch. I don't have any HD versions though. are there any that are worth it? I was thinking maybe MC2 because of the multiplayer, but I truly have no experience in whether or not the difference would be actually worth it. yes I've tried lites, the difference hasn't wowed me, but perhaps the overall game would be different.

4. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd suggest that you wait for the inevitable Gameloft $0.99 sales. I have probably 90% of the Gameloft HD titles on my iPad. I've never paid more than $0.99 for any title. To me, they're worth a dollar. You have to be quick, though. Some titles only change price for a few hours.

Currently, I'm waiting for Spider-man: Total Mayhem HD to drop in price, but that's a relatively new release so it could be awhile. And, the Modern Combat titles have never been on sale, so they're bound drop at some point soon!

5. halljames

halljames Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Computer Programmer
    UK
    It depends on the title, but a lot of the newer titles seem to release about 2-3 weeks.

6. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks guys for the replies! They bring a few more questions though.

I upgraded from a 2nd gen itouch and am enjoying my iPad a lot, but I don't want to spend all the money to re-buy HD versions of everything. Especially i.e. Splinter Cell (though if the HD version was a lot better due to the bigger screen I could understand that!) I take it other than high resolution some games don't offer a lot more than the pixel doubling version does.

So firstly, what games do you think are worth the upgrade? Doesn't matter if you liked the game - I may have different tastes. Just if the upgrade made a real difference. For instance I am looking at MC2 because of the multiplayer goodness; it might be worth it if the controls are a big improvement and the higher res makes a big difference. Also if there are say, more cars on the streets in Miami Vindication, it would be cool; I liked playing GTA San Andreas just to cruise around on a motorcycle sometimes, for instance, but the iPod version doesn't offer much traffic dodging funl

Secondly, how often are the sales? It's Christmas season so I assume Black Friday wasn't the last we'll see of those.

Thirdly, this is more of a general question I guess, have you guys seen any HD versions that are universal? Like if I buy Dungeon Hunter 2 HD, would I need to buy the non-HD version to play it on my ipod touch? That would be a bit annoying but the ipad is so much better anyway, I think I could deal. :p

Thank you again for your responses!

7. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #7 Pacificsun0481, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    Hi there,

I have had a few non hd Gameloft titles.

Being an iPad owner since day one, I've come to realize, we're treated as the iOS black sheep by forum members and developers alike.

The forum members, tell us ipad owners, we should feel "lucky" developers make games for us. I disagree, but whatever.

When it comes to Gameloft, the pixel double looks ugly. Just unrefined. The older iOS games brought to HD aren't really worth it. Those hd versions seemed rushed and really not too good.

However, the newer titles are simply put: worth waiting for. It sucks....but, truly worth the wait. I too, would love to play games other iOS owners are raving about, on launch dates. I've learned it's cheaper and really pays off if I maintain some patience.

Some Gameloft games take a couple of weeks to arrive in hd, others take several months.

Games worth the HD price:

Modern Combat 2, Spider Man, Iron Man 2, Let's Golf...

Other games are just worth waiting on the sequel:

Dungeon Hunter 2, Nova 2...

I really wanted Eternal Legacy, but, I can wait.

I am expecting Shadow Guardian to launch on all iOS devices simultaneously, as the trailer includes iPad.

Rumor from Pocketgamer, when iPad was announced was that Nova 2 was going to develop native on iPad and scale down. With other iOS devices that are new since, I don't know if that's still the case. I'm hoping Nova 2 would launch equally on all iOS devices, but I just don't know. I was hoping all new modern Gameloft games would, but it didn't happen this week. So...

All I can say is: wait for the hd version, it sucks to wait but the end result is a better experience. Cheaper, too, than double dipping.

Really, our devices are better gaming rigs than the smaller iOS devices, so don't listen to the haters. Just know we're playing games the way they're meant. Without out thumbs in the way. Able to actually see what we're playing, on a screen worthy of the games.

Hope this helps.