Llamasoft on iOS - the good times are over?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crunc, Apr 2, 2013.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
  2. rickermortes

rickermortes Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Game developer.
    Minnesota
    Minter's humor doesn't seem to be of the April Fools' variety, so I imagine this is true. If so, I'm not sure if I'm surprised.

On one hand, I love Goat Up. It's the perfect mobile game. I haven't played the second, and I'm not even sure if it's been released yet. I know he's submitted it.

On the other hand, Minter's stuff could really, really shine on something with a little more power and resolution. He's a graphical space wizard, and if you give him a desktop to work with, he can quickly trip you out.

Also, desktops have really picked up as a sales platform. I wouldn't have believed it 3-5 years ago, but it's doing very well for indies right now. I've considered making desktop versions of my games, but it's a lot of time that I don't have right now.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If you loved Goat Up why on earth havent you snapped up Goat Up 2 ?? I think poor sales are one reason why hes dropping iOS, so i think people 'waiting' to buy his games dont help.

Shame if this is true and iOS is being relegated, but at the end of the day he has to pay his bills and if hes not making as much as he thought/or wants from iOS then we lose another good developer and we're one step closer to a freemium app store !

I always support devs like Minter, enjoy his games anyway but i love that people like him (used to) create quality apps, shame too many people wait or wait for a price decrease. This is one reason why we get so much freemium rubbish

4. rickermortes

rickermortes Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Game developer.
    Minnesota
    "On one hand, I love Goat Up. It's the perfect mobile game. I haven't played the second, and I'm not even sure if it's been released yet. I know he's submitted it."

From my initial post.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Proper sad. I've played Minter's games since the 80s and think he's probably the closest thing to genius on the AppStore. Good luck, Jeff. Top, top man.

6. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    I don't think is all over. On the contrary, i think a new, younger audience can appreciate in a different way and with different devices the magic that we enjoyed almost thirty years ago.

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    This makes me alot sadder than the sail of LucasArts. Goodbye sweet prince :(

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I stand a better chance of being able to play his games in native resolution on PC. Now I can start buying them :p

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know what you put, I just meant if you were a fan i'm surprised you didnt find out the news on twitter that the games out (from various sources) or even this website.

If theres a game i'm looking forward to its easy to find out the second its out. Bit like a kid when it comes to new releases, buying it when it hits the app store

10. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    To be honest ive always found Minters games to be fairly inconsistent in their quality. Some are excellent, others rubbish. I remember playing one game that was ruined by his psychadelic effects engine alone.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The latter, does that happen to be Space Giraffe? Because I found that one unplayable for that reason, at least on Xbox. It was ridiculous. His iOS games have avoided that for the most part. But yes, they are inconsistent. None of them are bad, I don't think, but some are better than others. I still think my favorite is Minotaur Rescue. Close second would be Gridrunner. One I really didn't care for much on iOS was FiveADay.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #12 tops2, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    My favorite is Gridrunner, followed closely by Minotaur Rescue. The rest were fun too.

Had one go of Minotaur Rescue over the weekend for the normal mode, and the controls must have clicked cause got to ~105 position on the leaderboards. Got so intense on later levels. The only bad thing was I played on the toilet and the play through lasted way longer than expected. I think my wife was a bit annoyed. :D

But yeah..Jeff should find a way to increase his marketing. His visual styles is really not for everyone. Doing stealth releases probably doesn't help. And while I enjoy reading his tweets..for people who's not familiar with Jeff...his tweets makes him sound like a nut job.

13. squiredog

squiredog Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Space Giraffe

Space Giraffe is intense! I'd love it to be his first title on the Vita. Its his best work by far!

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    More verification that iOS is on the backburner. On the other hand "TxK" for Vita! Woah! I'm going to need to save my pennies and get one I guess.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=372

Though I'd have hoped he was also developing it for PS3, because I'd love to play it on a console too.