Universal Dark Incursion (By Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    a bag of chip lasts me about 15 minutes

a soda bottle lasts me about 5 minutes...

Both cost .99 each... so 1 hour of gameplay to me is great, specially when I consider all those times i spent money on arcades.... machines that costed $1 to play and i was done in 15-20 minutes

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    You're not comparing this to the right things.

For an adventure/action game, this length is abysmal. Plus, showing a 'to be continued' screen after only an hour of play (btw, the initial price is 2 dollars) only makes this game feel more like an unfinished game.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    With all the earlier complaints about movement controls, am I the only one who finds the one-directional shooting (well two if you count going backwards) awkward?

It's been a long time since I played SotN, but I could have sworn that even that had the old 8-direction shooting mechanics.

It wouldn't be a problem but as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it's kind of cheap when there's an enemy on a platform above or below and they can hit you with a diagonal shot but you can't hit them until you're on the same level.

4. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    #164 Drexiel, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    yeah i know.... but you're paying a dollar or 2 dollars for this... not 10-15

Heck, when Ibought Castlevania SOTN it cost me $60, and i finished it in 5 hours....

found the other ending in 10 hours (With a 114% clear)... so in total thats 15 hours for $60.

Uncharted 1 cost me 60 and i finished it in 8 hours.... Dead Space cost me 60 and i finished it 3 times in 18 hours...

That's why i don't complain that Dark Incursion lasts 1 hour and costs 1-2 dollars.... I know it feels like you've been ripped off by the "to be continued", but cmon.... it's not like you paid 15$ for 1 hour of content... Oh, the game Limbo lasts 2-3 hours and costs $15....

Another example. I paid $15 for SHANK on ps3 and i finished it in less than 5 hours...

so i still don't see why 1 hour of gameplay is bad for 1 dollar...

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    It's bad because you're paying for an unfinished, work in progress product that should not be released in its current state.

That's why I'd rather pay $60 for SoTN than pay for a much cheaper, yet unfinished game.

By the way, comparing the value of any action adventure game with SoTN is almost suicidal in that SoTN will crush the value of the lesser, for its sheer originality, mood, atmosphere, animation, gameplay, story and soundtrack.

6. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    i agree with you drexiel BUT gunxsword did bring up a very good point.

7. clzander

clzander Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Just reached the "to be continued" point. While disappointing, I'd be able live with a work-in-progress game if I knew I could save my state and be able to delete the game from my device and reload it if/when the next version is out and still continue from the "to be continued" point (with my current fuses or at least some usable default).

Unfortunately, with the way iOS games work (without a cloud-like sync of some sort), once I delete it I have to start from scratch and right now I'm not sure I'm willing to play through the entire game again just to see the next phase. At this point, while it's relatively small, I'm stuck saving a "to be continued" game on my device just in case a new update is released.

While it might be unfair to compare dev's, Grokion is a fair consideration. When it was released, that game was to have monthly episode updates, and the last update was over a year and a half ago. I can't help but feel pessimistic that this game will continue. As stated by others, I too would rather pay a fair price for a full game than continue to purchase a work in progress.

Maybe I wouldn't be as frustrated if I hadn't just gotten a similar "to be continued" with Mystery of the Japanese Werewolf.

8. Drexiel

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    yeah SoTn pretty much kills anything that dares cross it's path, but what i'm trying to point out is Price vs Game Duration.

while Sotn has huge replay value(for me at least), someone that jsut plays it once and paid 60 for it, got 5 hours tops of gameplay...

anyways i get your point and i understand it fully.... but for 99 cents, there's not much to expect.... 3 dollars maybe... 1 hour for 3 dollars does feel like a rip, but people spend 3 dollars all the time on things that won't last half as much as Dark Incursion does

Sure it doesnt last as long as let's say, Cut The Rope, Angry Birds or Terra Noctis, but at least for 99 cents i feel that 1 hour is enough....

but you have NO idea how pissed i was at spending $15 on a 3 hour game... F.U Limbo

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So... it's been a LONG time... any news on this, or has it just been abandoned?

10. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
  11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
  12. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    This does look good, but

after reading that it is only 1/2 - 1 hour long, I may pass. Though... it does look fun. And iOS could really use some Castlevania-alikes. Or just Castlevania. Really, Konami (I know your not reading this - it's just for the sake of it). Even Castlevania 1. A straight NES port. Or Bloodlines, X, part IV or Chronicles. Please. The linear, level based affairs. Please. One more time, with feeling - please :( Oh well... I tried...

13. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    The inability to shoot at a 45-degree angle is a deal breaker for me.

14. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, the game seems to be more of a Castlevania clone than a Contra clone.

15. PèreGoriot

PèreGoriot Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    It doesn't work with iOS313.

Executable is iOS4+ hard-linked.
    It crashes under iOS313: "dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/CoreText Reason: image not found".
    Waiting for the programmers to fix their code.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    lmao... good luck

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im pretty sure Abraham and his 7 children all had iphone1 ios313.

18. PèreGoriot

PèreGoriot Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Woaaow, great news today: BigBlueBubble just fixed one of their crashing so-called-iOS3-compatible apps !
    Yeah, many many thanks to them. That's really nice.
    DarkIncursion v1.2.1 now really runs with iOS3: tested and verified.

(Too late to also fix their others games ? :( )

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... i guess. What they need to do is either create a sequel or a new similar title and make the gameplay at least 2 hours straight (4x content than the first) to finish.

20. NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Has anyone actually gotten the iCade to work with this? So far, I was trying to get my 8 Bitty to work with it, but there's no response at all, nor any option for it. Am I missing something? I will try on my regular iCade when I get home.