Phoenix - coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Selachii, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    We are currently finalizing our new title Phoenix! The title was already announced on our website, but we'd like to put some of the game details here on TouchArcade exclusively at first.

Phoenix is a top down shoot'em up, shmup if you will, that is close to the bullet hell subgenre, which means intense action and screens filled with highly detailed fast moving exploding objects!

The game does not follow a standard storyline, instead it offers a completely procedurally generated infinite challenge, continually creating enemies with unique weapon combinations of increasing difficulty. The generated content will also be adapted depending on how well the player is currently doing, so everybody can play at their own pace. Of course, this is also reflected in the score, which makes the whole experience streamlined for players of any skill level. Scores are synchronized online if an internet connection is available, with online leader boards already up and running in the beta.

Your ship can hold several different types of weapons that can be added and upgraded by picking up power-ups. Our motto here is "the more the better". Other bonus power-ups are offered while the player progresses, providing full health, shields or short bursts of screen clearing action.

Now, as these screenshots from the beta generally call for question how this would run on a real iPhone, instead of a simulator, we have added a live demo on an iPhone 2g! We recorded this especially for you guys at TouchArcade so you can see how smooth it runs, even on the oldest iPhone model. A full gameplay trailer will be released along with the game.
    Now enjoy this teaser in HD!

We will be sending press demos around soon and are aiming for a September release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Wow, it's certainly colourful! ;D

3. raptor200

raptor200 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    looks like the bullet hell is coming from the player and not the enemies :)

4. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    That's what I thought :p.

Nice to see that older device owners might have some sort of alternative to Espgaluda/Dodonpachi.

I think the ship itself is a little big though.

5. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Bright colors are giving me a headache (sorta) but this game does look cool! I agree the ship is a bit big, though.

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Looks beautiful, and I'm certainly impressed it runs well on a 2G, that's great news.

The weird thing about the ship being so big is that it means the hit box has to be a lot smaller than the ship itself, which it looks to be. I'm not sure how severely that will effect the gameplay.

7. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    In some bullet hell shooters, the hitbox itself is smaller than the ship, but the game gives the player extra points and stuff for hitting the ship sprite but not the hitbox, so it's like rewarding them for 'playing dangerously'. Dunno if that's the case here though.

8. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks.

The hitbox is indeed smaller than the ship model. The hitbox, hitcircle in our case ;), is just the cockpit that sticks out on the front of the ship. Like Eduku states, most bullet hell shooters have bigger apperances for the player than hitboxes, usually with a little glowing spot or contrast, to indicate the 'weak' spot.

9. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    man that looks awesome and cool :D
    glad to see it will run on 2G, can't wait to release

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah, I see.

So it will be clear where the hitcircle is? I was worried it would make the game difficult to play but if some obvious contrast is shown that should help a lot.

11. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    It's the blue part that sticks out at the front of the ship.

12. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Great, that looks like just the right size to me. Looking forward to the release. :)

13. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    This game looks interesting, does it have any relationship to the Phoenix that is for graphing calculators. That game was awesome. In the iphone version is the ship and weapons upgradable or no?

14. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Congrats on the front page! Can't wait for this to see release.

15. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    No relationship no. You pick up new weapons and upgrade your existing ones as you go along.

edit: thanks medianotzu :)

16. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

Looks great. Very smart game design, too.

17. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    highly looking forward to lay hands on this one.
    lite version available when released?

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #18 Guise, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    I'm really intrigued by the concept of a procedurally-generated shmup. It's a great idea that I haven't come across before. Looking forward to this one.

I'm also hoping that, unlike Flare Elite, it has audio options (specifically, the ability to turn off in-game music but keep sound effects).

19. silent genius

silent genius Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this one as other Bullet Hell shooters won't run on my iPhone 3G (I'm looking at you, Cave ¬¬ ) ^^

20. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I CANNOT wait for this game!