Welcome to Die!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by kijib, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Coke or Pepsi

Poll closed Jan 29, 2014.
  1. Coke

50 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Pepsi

16 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It takes about 8 minutes for sunlight to reach Earth. No animal sees darkness: most nocturnal animals register infrared better and bats rely on echolocation. Also, the bit about the back end of light rays is just confusing although I don't doubt it makes sense to you. Keep a journal and you could be the next William Burroughs.

2. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Err, light travels at about 300 million metres / second and takes about 8 minutes and 19 seconds to reach Earth.

Edit: Ninja'd.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I don't care what anyone believes, but one thing is for real...having a real discussion of any substance on TA is like a limbless person trying to scratch himself. :rolleyes:

4. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #6284 ArcheAngel, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    Light travels in waves which are like ripples and any rippling affect that is cut off from it's source would always have a backend.

I'm sure you can understand that right?

/\/\/\/\

5. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    We ring a bell with our teeth and someone else has sophisticated conversations for us?

6. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #6286 ArcheAngel, Jul 30, 2010
    Ok so it's minutes and not days or weeks, I said in theory & actually that would be still accurate I just said way longer than it is.

But technically we are still looking through "old light" because it would at least take eight minutes to diminish after/if the sun went out.

Compared to the cutting off of an artificial source of light like a light switch, eight minutes is an incredible amount of time. Not to mention distance.

It tacks like nano seconds for a light swich to turn off and on that with a bulb right over your head, so the eight minutes and distance that the sun's light produces to reach us I think is quite significant in weather dark is actually "dark" once a natural source of light that has help shaped the evolution of this planet and our visual spectrum is gone.

Of course I never said you were wrong in anyway, as it stands dark is the absence of light & that is true.

7. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Absolutely no proof that anything in the Bible is true or that there is a God. All of it sounds much more like "explain the unexplainable with obvious, false answers."

Might as well throw in my opinion since this has stayed open.

8. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    God does exist.

9. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Try telling that to Anubis

[​IMG]

10. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    #6290 RttaM, Jul 30, 2010
    I choose to believe God does exist.

11. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Think about it for a minute. Let's say you believe in God- if there is a God, happy day for you. If there isn't a God, no harm done. You had a happy life hoping for something after.
    Now if you don't believe in God, and there is a God, you're in a not so good position. If there isn't a God, woohoo for you. You can get drunk, knock a girl up, get stuck with her, and live (not) so happily ever after.

In my opinion, there is a God. And I also am a believer in Karma. Being a good person makes good happen to you, and I like the idea of a point to life. I also like knowing I'm more than a slightly sophisticated monkey.

That's my opinion.

12. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I believe in God, but not really in Karma. I do good deeds not because I expect something back, but simply because it's the right thing to do.

13. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    There is plenty of harm done: the Crusades, Prop 8, witch hunts, residential schools, etc, etc, etc. There is seemingly no end to the persecution, torture, slavery and murder, all to satisfy the invisible sky man. And you enable that suffering. Good for you.

14. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Being an Atheist doesn't mean you have no morals or guilt, Hitler was a Christian and he caused the death of millions of people.
    Both my parents are Atheists and they met at university, went out for 6 years and then got married, and had me three years later.
    My Dad actually knows a Catholic who had pre-marital sex and married a girl he didn't love and is now an alcoholic, so these ideas you have that Religious people have better, more wholesome lives is completely wrong, it's really about equal and an impossible to measure idea.

15. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Or would you not take that chance and have risk of eternal suffering? ;)

16. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    If I told you that God told me that you have to send me $100 worth of iTunes apps or else you'll go to hell, would you take the risk or burning eternally or just send me the $100?

17. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    OH SH*T So that was Jackson's second account. Whoever called that good job.

18. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    *Raises hand*

19. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    No, because you're the one telling me to do it, not God.

20. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    No God told me from a tree I set on fire.