Universal Spaceward Ho! (4x Strategy by Ariton Games/Delta Tao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jaklar, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #41 Mythbuster, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
    A little off Topic: I know, the Mac Version is from the guys of Deltatao ... but ... it seems they have given up any support for it. Do you have any plans for the future to make a new Apple Version? I ask because SpceHo 5 does not run anymore on the latest Mac OS ... so my Mac Book Air has to life without SpaceHo ...

A new Version (sold on the Mac AppStore) would be great ... of course after some updates for the iOS version ... :D

2. christophercotton

christophercotton Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Given that the way we wrote the iOS version is using Cocos2d and given that it is fairly easy to get it to compile and run on the Mac. All I can say is we would love to do it. Right now we are working to get the iPhone version first, and then multiplayer support.

3. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    That sound very good! Of corse, I agree ... first priority should be to make the iOS Version as good as possible ... (the missing functions, GC, Universal App, more graphics) ...

But it is good to hear that we can hope that a new Mac OS Version could come in the future ... :)

4. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, right now we are working on making the iOS version great. So that we can stop getting those 1 stars reviews of people upset with the game. I do wished people would rate it 4 star and say, "here is what i want" and then we can fix it.

5. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    sorry but I forgot one thing.

One small negative point. If you "click" on a planet you get all the information about it ... so far so good ...

But you cannot deselect a planet. You must click onto another planet ... I think, you should change this ... it is simple: Just another click on it to deselect it ... ;)

6. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Sure, great idea. Not really sure why we didn't do that. It will be in the 1.0.2 that we put out.

7. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    To anybody who played both, which one should I get, Spaceward Ho or Imperium Galactica? Or both ;) Tx in advance...

8. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    100% Spaceward Ho! You will not regret it!

From German to German: Kauf Dir Spaceward Ho! Ist ein Kultspiel. Vor allem die KI ist einfach genial. Die Computergegner lernen aus Deinem Verhalten von Spiel zu Spiel. Allein das ist beeindruckend. Ich spiele es seit über 15 Jahren und es ist noch heute ein Topspiel für mich ... bin sonst Civilization, GalCiv etc. Fan ... ;)

9. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    I am a little bias, so I definitely say Spaceward Ho! Though I love great strategy games, so I also say buy both!

10. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Thank you... Das klingt gut. I wonder how I could miss that one in my AMIGA days.

11. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I don't know! ;)

But be sure ... you will learn the concept within five minutes ... but try to beat them on a game with AI players with IQ180 ... :D

You have a lot of options: Size and form of the galaxy ... teams ... starting conditions etc. pp.

Believe me ... it looks simple but the gameplay is really deep. ;)

12. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ditto this. In the meantime, I bought it for the iPad. My son may well freak when he sees it.

13. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    I've fixed this. It will be in the 1.0.2 release http://ariton.com/post/20315885779/updates-for-1-0-2

I also made the selection animation a little smoother to have it restart at the beginning when you select a new planet. It looks nicer.

14. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Great! Thank you! :D

Let's hope for a quick update ... :)

15. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
  16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nominated. =o)

I've never had the pleasure of playing the original... But after reading the wiki page, it seems that this iOS version captures what the original is really all about... Simplistic 4X gameplay while still having a lot of depth...

Are there really any big differences between the Mac and iOS versions? Or is this pretty much what it was? Sorry for my ignorance... I've only recently gotten into 4X games (about 6-7 months ago)...

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    No, gameplay and AI seems to be the same ...

Just some graphs and information screens are not in (yet) ... but the developer will bring the rest in ... so, full Spacewar Ho feeling ... :D

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Nifty, thank you.

Definitely enjoying the game so far... It might end up being the first 4X game I wind up feeling comfortable enough to play online with. =oD

19. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yep, absolute ... SpaceHo is one of the very few games I like to play online ... so I really looking forward to the next updates ...

Nevertheless ... the computer player are very smart ... so there is plenty to conquer while waiting ... :D

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I just now noticed that you can change their IQ... Which is a great feature! Scars to go after 200... =oP