Headphones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gov, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #1 Gov, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
    Do you use any good ones? what do you recommend..

I've been searching around the web for the 'best' in-ear headphones of 2014, plus i want to replace my old Sony - MDR XB40's

I've come across the priciest buds so far, they're the - AKG K3003i in-ear headphones, which can cost up to about $2,000.00!

But.. i want them because they're the best.. look: "K3003i, the priciest in-ears we've tested, but also, by a massive margin, the best. They even put pricely full-size units to shame."

- 5 star review in What Hifi magazine! - October 2012

Also they are Apple certified :)

Have a look.. is it worth the investment - http://uk.akg.com/akg-product-detail_uk/k3003i-with-remote.html

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    2k for headphones is just ludicrous indeed.

I wouldn't pay more than £20/40 from them (Rough estimate $30/60)

Some people seem to have more money than sense :confused:

3. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    My XB40's cost me £40, a few years back, they do a great job. But it's time to crank it up :)

4. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I use the Bose over the ear headphones and in-ear buds and they're fabulous. Also, much cheaper than the $2k item you listed.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Wouldn't spend that kind of money myself on in-ear buds their just to fragile to justify it, one hard accidental tug on the wire tends to break them no matter the price you paid.

I actually thought I was pretty crazy considering buying a set of bluetooth headphones for £350 (Sennheiser MM 550-X) I didn't although I might at some point still.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    A good pair of in-ear-canal headphones will not be fragile. I have Westone UM2s and they have been yanked on quite a few times by accident and no problems. I would like to get a better pair, but these are still working fine and, yeah, no way I'd pay $2k for a set of headphones. That's well into golden ears territory. I.e. the people that once thought drawing on a CD with a black marker made them sound better.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I paid £40 for my Sony over ear ones, which were on a half price offer at the time and that made me feel a bit sick lot

Before I got the headphones I used whatever earphones came with my phone and had a couple cheap sets as tend to them. You'll probably get a lot of people saying saying it's a waste etc I can't comment on the quality as I'll never own a pair like that but at the end of the day it's your money and if you can afford and want those headphones then you should get them .

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I tend to wear mine when working and they always die the exact same way although some last longer than others, wire gets accidentally caught on something and takes a sharp tug then usually one of the sides stops working I've probably killed my last dozen sets in the exact same way.

My current set to be fair has lasted well over a year but I expect it will go the same way at some point, current ones are sennheisser cx275s which cost me about £50 at the time and that's really about as much as I can really justify for in ears costwise.

In the future I think I'm going to go the bluetooth route which I know audiophiles grimace at but with devices that support apt-x it's more than good enough for me.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have had my UM2s for years. They were released in 2003 and I believe I got them then, or if not, then the year after. They were expensive, but they have certainly lasted.

10. For gaming,

Sony X10's are best for the bass. Totally awesome.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    All of a sudden I'm dying for an upgrade. LOL. Been looking at the page for Westone W30s (triple-driver - my UM2s are dual-driver) for a little while. Or W40s. Ugh. Maybe I'm a golden ears. LOL. No way I'd pay for the W60s, though. $1k? You've got be kidding me! But really, when I think about how long these headphones have lasted me the W30 or even W40s don't seem THAT expensive and I'd like a sound quality upgrade over what I have now. They now have replaceable cables, so there's that if you ever do break the cable. Also, unlike mine, they now have controls for iPhone/iPod (and they said Android with optional cable).

But realistically speaking I don't have the funds. So this is just kind of painful. :)

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have some Ultimate Ear 10s that are great, but the best cans I have enjoyed, and now own are the Sennheiser 600s.

I have some Shure in ear that are a few years old, but sturdy, noise isolating, and great for the gym (sturdy).

Get a good headphone amp (the O2 built by JDS labs is excellent, although totally flat), listen to a good source -NOT compressed mp3s, and enjoy!

13. For music, others maybe better, but for thumping arcade bass and video games, I think Sony x10's are the best by far. Far better than beats.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have owned several sets of various Sony (the MDR V6 were great). I would caution people that the headphone manufacturers know they can amplify the bass, and then use cheap components for midrange and highs because the bass drums out the other portions. It's better to get good all around equipment and then use equalizers or other processing equipment to increase the bass. I'm a big bass fan - I play bass and firmly believe it's the only real important instrument :D, but people can pay a lot of money for equipment that is most priced by popularity than actual component and design costs. In the long run, better to get good equipment that is versatile. IMHO of course.

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Guys, I've managed to get hold of the AKG K3003i for half the price! Will show you pics soon and some feedback on the sound!

16. Yeah, that is probably obviously true, but it is hard to carry a stereo receiver, equalizer, and a power generator in your backpack.

The Sony X10s come with a cool collapsible carrying pack too. The bass is just amazing on the X10s, great for video games. True not as much for music, but for me, I game more than listen to music.

But I hear you.

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    You can get portable amps CMOY that are the size of an Altoid can and weigh a couple ounces that will run you 30- 50. Your idevixce has a built in equalizer - problem solved. Anyways, whatever works and you are happy with.