iPad The Quest

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BrushMyNoseOff, Feb 20, 2009.

1. 100hugo

100hugo Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Anyone know a good way to level up from about level 10? Any creatures or areas?

2. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    Sorry for the long reply. Go back to areas you've explored. The monsters respawn and the most and toughest are in the southwest.

By the way, I have upgraded my forum www.catacomber.com to be mobile friendly -- at least more mobile friendly. Please reregister if you haven't. It's a brand new forum.

Am working hard to get the old forum guides up and FAQs and maps. : ) It was time to upgrade---over five years. : )

Please let me know what you think about the mobile friendly version. If you're on iphone, ipod or android and other mobile devices, the app I'm using---JTouch, will detect that and switch you to the mobile version.

NGuyen of JTouch has made a wonderful skin and app for websites that want to go mobile and the app is free.

See the article on my home page. If you're on a supported mobile device (which includes iphone, ipod touch, android and others) you can not only get a mobile version of this website, you can (at least on ipod which I tested) have this website as an app on your home page on your device.

The developer is very involved and very responsive so please try it and give me your feedback. I like that you can have it on your home page for free. I will register with Tapatalk as soon as they upgrade to the latest version of my forum but it will cost you 2.99 to have their app on your device. And I like free. : )

Plus, you can rotate to landscape mode and it makes the forum so much more readable. I think you can pinch to adjust the size.

Let me know if you have trouble with Recaptcha. If you do, just switch to Desktop Version -- register -- and go back to Mobile Version.

I'd love to have your feedback. You can switch back from mobile to desktop view.

And we're working on a new Quest expansion---Celtic Queen--betatesting is going along smoothly. Should be out soon.

3. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    Hey im Very impressed with your game spending countless hours on it. Im looking to develop a game like this, maybe not turn based but lots of text, exploration depth and similar like graphics. Dont worry it wont be a clone. I just wanted to know if it was difficult to develop a game like this? Any particluar difficulties or pointers? Any help would be great.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They've had fans work on expansions before, you might want to chat with Catacomber and see what your options are (i.e. make a text-heavy expansion with less combat)

Also look for the developer of Dungeon of the Damned, which looks like a dungeon crawler, but plays more like Myst - he might have some good pointers for ya.

5. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for replying. Ill go check them people.
    Thanks!

6. AENIGMA

AENIGMA Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    NY
    I bought The Quest Gold + all the rest of the expansions a couple of months ago. When you activate the expansions into The Quest/Gold, does it just "flip a switch" in the main game (the Quest/Gold) to tell the game that you've purchased/activated the expansions, or does it transfer extra data to the main game (graphics, sound, maps, etc...)?

I haven't played very far into The Quest Gold and I had to restore my iPod Touch. The Quest Gold was reinstalled and it looks like the expansions are there (the 3 Captain Verra ones, at least). Just wondering if I should delete The Quest Gold and reinstall everything again or if I'm good to go after the restore?

7. Anctoh

Anctoh Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Game Impressions

I really like the game; but it annoys me when I'm going to the first town and I get jumped by the seemingly endless number of orcs and archers, I had to bring them into town, go against the inn door, and take a couple hits, and then rest, repeat; I had to do this process for about 30 minutes to get all the enemies away, so I would suggest lowering the spawn rate in the wild because it's f***ing rediculous. :mad:

Or maybe have the guards at the gate actually do something. Or just not let monsters/archers in the town.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    @aenigma: the expansions just enable the content in the main app.

For peace of mind, next time you get a game going, plug into your computer, go to Apps -> File Sharing in iTunes and backup your games files there.

9. AENIGMA

AENIGMA Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    NY
    Thanks drelbs, I was hoping that I didn't have to reinstall everything :). I'll definitely backup the game files the next time I sync.

10. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    #2750 100hugo, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Sorry another question from me. I cant find anything good i can use to develop my game, so what program do you use? Sorry if this is unclear. I really need to know so i can start my game
    e.g. C++ (this is a bad example but it is the only one i can think of)

11. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
  12. 100hugo

Dec 8, 2011
    are there any expansions or will there be any expansions that are the homeland of the different races? i would love to see the homeland of the nogur :)

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not sure how Celtic Queen slipped past me but I appreciate the continued expansions!

14. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Should I be playing this on my iPad 4 or iPhone 5 for the better experience?

15. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Doesn't matter.. you have to play it in 2x mode, which makes it hard to read the text.
    Don't think it will never be universal or an Ipad version.

16. RichRuzz

Aug 19, 2012
    Wish it supported iPhone 5 resolution

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Wish it had a universal build... It has held me back for years from buying this and other games in the series despite really wanting them (iPad only owner here).

18. RichRuzz

Aug 19, 2012
    Yeah. Argh :/

19. madam_octa

madam_octa Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #2759 madam_octa, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Don't count on it guys, it would take a lot of effort to redraw everything and the developer doesn't seem like he wants to improve the first one in any way. If I'm not mistaken it was a port from old pocket pc devices. Still, they are amazing games, especially the first one, and it would be a shame to miss it. My recommendation is to get one of the free expansions and try it out to see if you can tolerate it in 2x. Now excuse me while I go and play through this again for the 100th time :D

20. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    About a month ago I played a demo version of The Quest on my PC, and as far as I can remember it runs in 800x600 resolution (or something close to it, so higher than the standard 480x320 it was originally made), so maybe it wouldn't be as much of a problem to make a universal version, even if it would be a bit blurry on retina screens. This is one of the best iOS rpg series I have ever played and I’m thinking about buying it for my PC, especially if there is a little (or no) chance for a universal upgrade.