Bladeslinger

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Will you support the ipad's retina display at launch?

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

What about the iPod Touch 4? Is that in the hopefully supported list as well?

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    if iPad 1 is supported then I don't see why iPod touch wouldn't be.

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well the iPod Touch combines the slower (underclocked) processor of the iPhone 4 with the lower ammount of ram of the iPad... (800 MHz and 256mb)

5. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Glad to hear, it is not on rails:D

6. Kschreck

Kschreck Member

May 26, 2011
    It sounds like the Android Tegra 3 version will have better graphics going by what this guy said. I was under the impression that the iPad 3 could do better graphics then the Tegra 3 stuff. Another game this happened with was Shadowgun which has improved effects on Tegra 3 over the iOS versions. That's a bit disappointing.

7. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    @killercow Yes, we'll support a higher resolution target for iPad 3. We probably won't be rendering at full native resolution, but at roughly 2X the pixels of an iPad 2, to take advantage of the roughly 2X GPU overhead.

@Der-Kleine Yeah, the low RAM is kind of a deal killer. Never say never, but I think iPod Touch is a long shot.

@Kschreck Tegra 3 will offer an optionally different experience, demonstrating some cool stuff we were able to do working closely with Nvidia on the quad-core architecture, but apples-to-apples (no pun intended), it's a really close race graphically between the two platforms. The Bladeslinger looks absolutely *unbelievable* on iPad 3 though. It's stunning...

8. valdeto

valdeto Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Any news about Bladeslinger?

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The iPad 1 actually has the same amount of RAM as the iPod Touch 4 (256 MB), combine this with the fact that the iPad 1 also has 172, 032 more pixels than the iPod Touch 4, and you see why the iPad 1 performs so badly with current gen games. From what I've read, the iPod Touch 4 is a slightly more capable device than the iPad 1 in terms of performance.

10. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    Hey guys, thanks for the note and continued excitement about the game. It's coming GREAT! Builds getting slicker and more fun every week. Unfortunately, we're not going to make it out in May though. Even June is going to be a stretch, if we make it. There's just WAY too much left to do. But, definitely seeing light at the end of the tunnel :)

Follow our Twitter (@KeroseneGames and @LumaArcade) for updates. We'll be sharing some cool stuff over the next few weeks.

11. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Glad to hear that your builds are making such good progress. I know I speak for many here when I say how excited I am. :)

12. Menno1555

Menno1555 Member

Aug 16, 2011
    How much do you think you have left to do? Is it mostly small things like stability and bugs, or are there also some large things?

13. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Well, you've got Apple, who makes all sorts of tech, and then you've got Nvidia, which specializes in graphics tech (and related gadgetry). It's kind of obvious the Tegra 3 would have more "oomph" than the A5X chip.

God help you if they cram a 540m into that thing. That's my laptop's GPU, and it runs most games smooth as butter.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    He was talking about A5 -- not A5X, which runs graphics faster than Tegra 3 (according to several well publicized independent benchmarks).

15. Triscuitable

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    The A5X may do it better, but it's powering a device with a resolution that is far too high. Nice chip, bad resolution.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, it's a great resolution if you want to read on the device, or look at photos, or watch videos, etc. There's no reason why games have to use the full pixel density, and in fact many iPad "retina" games do not.

17. Triscuitable

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    N.O.V.A. 3 learned that the hard way. Infinity Blade II uses the "Battlefield 3" technique, putting black bars (and thus, less pixels) on the top and bottom of the screen. It gives you a clearer image that looks cinematic, while saving performance.

18. relyes

relyes Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Kerosene Games
    San Francisco
    #78 relyes, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    @Menno1555 Most of the remaining work is polish-related. Lots of bugs to squash. Lots of hardware to test on. Still doing some minor UI tweaking / tuning to make sure everything's intuitive & fast. I think you guys will be really impressed when you see how many things we've done different (and better) than what's out there now.

In fairness though, we're almost certainly not going to make a June release :eek: Testing at release candidate stage for an iOS / Android game this big takes a solid 4-6 weeks, and we're not *quite* to RC yet (still really beta-ish).

It will be worth the wait, guys. Seriously. I'm playing the game every week and it just keeps getting better and better. So much fun!!! :)

-Brett
    kerosenegames.com
    @kerosenegames

19. Triscuitable

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Because I'm so stingy and irritated by bad framerates on my 4th Gen iPod (Infinity Blade II, NOVA 3, and Max Payne are three key offenders), can you tell me what the average FPS for this title on a 4th gen device is? Shadowgun looked so good, and ran so well.

20. valdeto

valdeto Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    What happend with Bladeslinger? I haven't seen screens/video for 4-5 months...a progress with the game, release this summer or waiting autumn?