Gaming on the App Store has to be a gold mine...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DPP13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    #1 DPP13, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    At least for Apple. I mean I constantly am buying games. Like I can't help it. I just bought Street Fighter. Then caved and bought PvZ and Space Miner. And now I see ACII is on sale, and I have wanted that from day 1, so I bought that.

And looking on this forum I see how many people share my lack of purchasing restraint haha. My one friend thinks I am crazy and tells me I should stop buying games but I can't help it! I just love gaming, and I no longer own any consoles or handhelds so the iPhone is my only gaming source.

The pricing system is awful for developers, but for gamers it just is great. I can pay $10 max for a game and get like 5 hours or more out of it, compared to when I paid $60 for a 360 game and got the same amount. Of course the 360 game was better, but the price is just fantastic. And this is just the beginning of iPhone gaming. Eventually it'll be even better.

2. micgao

micgao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    You have no idea how much I've spent on the appstore.
    About 700-800$ in total (including all the apps but not DLCs which I bought a lot of also)

3. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Oh wow. I'm at like $200-300 but I have only had my phone since December 1st lol. So I am averaging like like $50+ a month.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    anyone else remember the days when you refused to spend a single penny on any game?

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    When was that? I've always bought/played games.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    :/
    I was one of those who wouldn't pay for anything from iTunes..I've never used it much before and I had no way of paying anyway. but I found out about iTunes cards and such :D

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I guess it's because I didn't really want an iPod Touch until I actually saw a game I wanted to buy. I think I might have bought a game for the Touch before I even had one, just to prepare for it :)

Really had no use for an iPod Touch before I found out about some of the games. Never liked iPod's as music players.

I had never bought anything from iTunes before that though, but I was playing console/PC games way before that. So I was already paying for games ;)

8. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    ya. it takes will power to not buy apps.

but that's the biggest problem with America isn't it? We spend for things we cannot afford, we do not need, but that we want. We o it on a whim, an impulse, an urge, and pay the price later. There is no will power, no planning for the future, simply "if I like it I buy it." That mentality has landed America in this recession and is the reason Americans are in so much debt.....if we had learned to use some self control and will power, the economy might never have tanked like it did. And addictive buyers on the app store are prime examples of America's problems, just on a smaller scale....I am not trying to be hypocritical, I am guilty of buying a couple apps too many, but when you stop to reflect about it, it's quite a sad state of affairs....

9. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    Totally agree man. Way to put in perspective in the grand scheme of things too. Nice.

10. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Too true, it also makes you realize that the same mentality that makes people spend money they don't have is also the kind of people that turn to piracy to get their games. I am an impulsive buyer, though I am getting better. The amount I have spent is less this month than last (by a lot).

11. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    At least I can control myself. I only have about 30 paid apps.