Game Engine Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by alex_p, Dec 24, 2015.

1. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am working on my 4th game for iOS. I mostly code in Objective C but my background is Java. All my games are 2D and I have used SpriteKit. Now I want to try a new game engine. I tried Unity but it felt a bit complicated. I have read that Cocos-2D is not a good option now days as it's being discontinued.

What other options are there for me? I'd like something that integrates easy, good for 2D and Objective C based.

2. lucky4u1986

lucky4u1986 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2011
    have you tried Marmalade? engine? try it, a good game platform

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    If you don't like unity then Monkey X is a good cheap, lightweight, multi platform option.

The html5 export in particular is better than the unity webgl for 2D games from my tests (in iOS the performance will be similar I imagine).

4. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

#4 alex_p, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll check those out! I'm not too concerned about multi platform as I only publish iOS at the moment. Something light and powerful that works with Objective C and a step up from SpriteKit is what I'm looking for.

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013

You will be concerned if your game is popular enough and then you have to remake it again in another engine.

You are crazy to think iOS only IMO.

6. liteking

liteking Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
    He's not crazy. I think it's a good idea to just stick to iOS only.
    For the engine, I'm using Unity. It's easy to use, and you can create any 2D or 3D games with it. However, it's quite difficult to optimize performance, and the footprint is large (an empty game with no sprite will take up about 10MB).
    I have tried other engines, but beside Unity, I can only recommend Cocos2D-x
    If you're into 2D and iOS only, why not just stick to SpriteKit?

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    If size of app is important to you and you are only using 2D check out Monkey X. Cocos I would be careful with due to the development issues they have had. They aren't what they used to be.