Universal Plague Inc. - (by Ndemic Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ndemic Creations, May 26, 2012.

1. Kayg0000

Kayg0000 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    New best (for me) on Insane

258 days. Close but no cigar :-(

Got lucky with both Dysentery and Necrosis mutating.

Attached Files:

2. Ravisher2112

Ravisher2112 New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Ndemic, love the game on Android. Was thinking of an added difficulty to the game; a population growth approapriate to the current population in game every year on the anniversary of the plage. This won't affect the sprinters, but it would add a level of play and increase the strategy dealing with new people being born. Inside that it could be a toggle in game for each level of play you have. I picture it working like this:
    Casual - every year, the new popluation is 75% infected from your current number infected in world.
    Normal - every year, the new population is 40% infected from your current number infected in world.
    Brutal - all population born is healthy, you must infect them!
    This will keep folks from burning off their transmissions because they'll have to infect the newborns.... maybe even taylor a new disease to attack infants...??

Anyway, I enjoy the randomness of the news and the set up of events. Was curious, I haven't yet taken it out that far yet, but will an asteroid really hit the Earth in 4024? My longest is 2254, I was really just making them suffer....

Ravisher

3. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    Insane - getting closer

254 days. Dysentry/Necrosis mutated, so went for heat 2, blood 2 and insect 2 for faster infection of Africa.

Attached Files:

4. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Glad you like them. Reason they are manual is because they serve 2 purposes - a) they communicate information to the player. b) they keep the player engaged

Yes - this will come in update 1.5

Heh, could be cool - will add it to the list of cool things!

You are right :p

Neurax worm is coming to android in a few weeks

Thanks for the suggestion - reason I don't model population increase is because it makes the game more complex without adding to the enjoyment/challenge. Re asteroid hitting earth - it isn't modeled in the game - i didn't think anyone would play that long :p

5. Ndemic Creations

WARNING - Mutation 4 is now available on the app store!

Really interested to hear what people think of the new genetic modification element.
    (Each time you win a game, you unlock a gene - these genes can be used to customise your plague and change its play style / give strengths/weaknesses)

Do you like it?
    What are your favourite genes?

6. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    Latest Update - Allows new levels of speed for insane

Love :D the Modified Genes, great feature of the game.

Dislike that save games no longer persist beyond winning. Means I have to start again from the beginning each time rather than reload and try a different end game approach.

253 days was the last posted record (by APG) for insane under update 1.3 I assume.

My first submission under update 1.4 (with Mod Genes) 240 days

Attached Files:

7. Ndemic Creations

I'm glad you like the genes.
    The saves not persisting beyond winning was necessary to stop the genes being gamed (i.e. save just before end of game, then reload and win again 25 times!)

240 is pretty good - which genes did you use?

8. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Darn, saw "full iOS 6 support" and almost bought...

If/when this game gets 4 inch screen support I will buy it.

9. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    Fair enough on the saves. Makes getting them too easy.

Sympto stasis, ATP boost, teracyte and xerophile. I only have some and don't have any in the mutation group.

10. Ravisher2112

Ravisher2112 New Member

Oct 20, 2012
    #850 Ravisher2112, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    I have been loving the gene mutation tool since I downloaded this on android a couple of weeks ago. There are great improvements for your plague here. I have found several winning combinations for each plague type that really seem to give me an edge. Here is a list of all unlockable genes. I added a tip or stategy that has worked for me next to each. :)

DNA Genes: These genes give you more DNA in different ways.
    ATP Boost - Bonus DNA at beginning
    Metabolic Jump - More DNA for red biohazard bubbles (nice boost for infecting another country/region)
    Cytochrome Surge - " " for orange bubbles (excellent if your plague mutates often)
    Metabolic Hijack - Orange and Red bubbles are auto popped (if your lazy)
    Catalytic Switch - Get bonus DNA from popping blue, cure bubbles (This totally changes your end game strategy, using their cure efforts to boost your plague!)

Travel Genes: These genes give your plague a boost when spreading.
    Pretty straight forward here. You may want to bone up on your geography and which country/region has which modes of travel handy.
    Teracyte - Increases chance of spreading by land (This is good for starting in a country/region that has no air or sea, landlocked, etc. I found it especially usefull when starting in Africa)
    Aquacyte - by sea (I'm sure you can figure this one out. I've noticed that I get the "Ships are using new procedures to clean" pop up less, or at least further into the game)
    Aerocyte - by air (As above, the "New sterilization" pop up for planes is less or further into the game when using this)
    Native Biome - Increase infectivity in your starting country (Enough said, it just works. :) )
    Suppression - Plague more likely to cross a closed land border (I don't usually get the closed border popups until late, and by everyone is infected, so I don't worry about it. Others may have that issue if they start killing before all is infected, so it may be usefull.)

Evolution Genes: These genes change the way your plague evolves.
    Ionised Helix - bonus DNA when devolving (Now, this one really comes into play when your using your devolved symptoms to build up your DNA, and goes great with the Darwinist Gene in the next section)
    Sympto-Stasis - Symptom costs don't increase but easier to cure. (If your like me, you can use all the DNA you can get. Be careful, though, this really does speed up the cure, maybe not noticably at first, but then your like WAIT, WAIT!!)
    Trans-Stasis - Transmission costs don't increase but easier to cure (See above :D )
    Patho-Stasis - Ability costs don't increase but easier to cure (As before)
    Translesion + - Costs to devolve don't increase (Here is another handy tool for ya. This goes great on those plagues that charge you to devolve, at least you know your paying flat rate.)

Mutation genes: These genes let you tweak how your plague mutates.
    Darwinist - Increase the chance of your plague mutating. (This is what I like to pair up with Ionized Helix. This extra chance for mutating with a bonus for doing it through the orange bubble is a plus, thanks Ndemic!)
    Genetic Mimic - Your plague is harder to cure. (This one, honestly, I haven't figured out where it help you. I can't say that it takes them any longer to notice the plague or even cure it any slower, so I'm not sure where the advantage is.)
    Base Hydrolysis - Your plague can mutate Abilities. Easier to cure. (This is good if your looking for some extra abilities like cold or heat mid-way through the game and you don't want to pay for it, opening up the next level of ability for free. However, you may not want it for some of your abilities in Nano or Bio as those are timed events in your stategy. I haven't noticed the cure getting there any faster with this, but I don't use it often.)
    Base Oxidisation - Your plague can mutate Transmissions. Easier to cure. (pretty much the same as above. I've noticed when using this mutation its 'easier cure' is true to its warning more so than the other mutations.)
    Creationist - Decrease the chance of your plague mutating. (Helps save your DNA in those plagues that charge to devolve, less mutating = less out of pocket)

Environment Genes: These genes boost your plague in specific environments.
    As with the Travel Genes, it may be helpful to get familiar with the world tab and its contents.
    Xerophile - Give your plague a bonus in arid climates.
    Rurophile - Give your plague a bonus in rural environments.
    Hydrophile - Give your plague a bonus in humid climates.
    Urbophile - Give your plague a bonus in urban environments.
    Extremophile - Give your plague a minor bonus in all environments.

I hope this list and tips can help anyone out there and if you have a strategy that works for you, please share it!

Now, go kill those pesky humans!

Ravisher

11. Ndemic Creations

Working on it and its almost ready. The question is whether to wait for zombies to be done or release it sooner as an update 1.45...

Wow Ravisher - this is a very useful read - I find it very helpful to hear what people think of the various genes! (and I'm glad you are enjoying them!)

12. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    My thoughts on Modified Genes plus even more insane

In general see Ravisher2112's post on page 85, i agree with much of it

DNA Genes:
    My favourites ATP boost and Metabolic Jump

Travel Genes:
    If your strategy is having a problem with one type (land, water, air) then add appropriate gene.
    Native Biome for a good starting boost, but useless once starting country is 100% infected which happens pretty quickly with me anyway
    Suppression - No much use. By the time I get closed borders, I've infected pretty much everything around the closed borders anyway

Evolution Genes:
    My favourite Sympto Statis, others have their uses for offsetting the cost of devolving in brutal though

Mutation genes:
    When going visible Darwinist (E.g. virus on max mutation mode)
    When going hidden Creationist (Bio/Brutal when you don't want mutations)
    When going for score Genetic Mimic ( Works wonders in worm and parasite, say hello to legal >200,000pt scores )
    My favourite Base Oxidisation (Gave me zoonosis without having bird 1 and 2)

Environment Genes: These genes boost your plague in specific environments.
    As with travel, if your having a problem with one climate add that gene, otherwise add Extremophoile (my favourite)

New insane record for this update. 206 Days.
    (Genes, Sympto Status, Extremophile, ATP boost, Aquacyte, Base Oxidisation)

Attached Files:

13. destruya

destruya Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #853 destruya, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    You should call that achievement "Persistent Little Bastard" and afford anyone who's able to get it a special gene or something. vOv

Hell, make the asteroid a new disease type - "Extraterrestrial Pathogen." Instead of picking the area where it starts, the asteroid/meteorite (assume it's small enough that it wouldn't start WW3 accidentally but large enough that people would investigate) would fall "somewhere" and the curious would be the first to become infected. Make whether it lands in a rural or populous area a chance-based multiplier as well.

Also, another idea for difficulty - add a new level for each pathogen except Nano-Virus where a Doomsday Cult keeps attacking certain targets, much like the Neurax Worm's planes work - but the higher-profile the target, the more likely people will get wise and start the cure/quarantine cycle.

And to get around that, maybe make each infection attempt tailored (by air, sea, or trying to sneak across borders, etc.). Make success chance-based depending on the affluence of the country and their current level of alert.

14. twwantb2

twwantb2 Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Orange Bubbles

Could anyone explain what determines the frequency of orange bubbles? I'm loving this game so far, just going through it on brutal for the unlocks, and I can't seem to figure out what makes the orange bubbles arise.

Thanks! Loving this game :)

15. kellyjgoines

kellyjgoines New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    General Questions

So my wife and I really love this game; we play it all the time, we just have a few questions. I apologize if they've already been asked before.

1. How do you get the Genetic Code Modifications? I know you have to beat the levels on Normal or Brutal, but my wife and I have beaten the same levels on Normal, but we have different Modifications. We assume it's totally random, but we weren't sure.

2. Why does the Walking Dead combination take longer to take affect on some games, but not as long on others? For example, most of the time I play, my combo takes affect almost as soon as I purchase the required symptoms, but when my wife plays, she'll buy the symptoms, but it takes a lot longer to kick in.

3. Will there be a 'Save and Continue" button in a future update? That would really come in handy.

4. Will we ever be allowed to name our pathogens with more than 9 characters?

That's really all we can think of for now. We look forward to hearing from you guys, and will post more questions as we think of them.

Thanks

16. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Just got the game. Don't really want to read through this massive thread. For scoring, do I get scored on for how fast I win? Oh, also here's also a pic of my Obamacare plague haha

Attached Files:

17. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    1. Actually you can beat games on casual and get GCM's, I did on my IPad. What you get is random from what is left to get. That is you will always get something, until you get the last one.

2. Random, I have some games that get combos early, others get same combos late, it depends on what else is going on and some random factors

18. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    #858 Kayg0000, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    For me score is mostly based on how low the cure percentage complete is. The lower the cure the higher the score. So things like insomnia, paranoia, paralysis and coma to make the disease harder to cure, increase score. Drug 1 opens up gene hard 1 ( slows cure ) and gene shuffle 1 ( reduces cure ). Obviously gene hard 2 and shuffle 2 and 3 add to this.

My best is around 200,000 with 5 bio hazard markers. Parasite and the worm are best for scoring high.

You have the start of the nuke achievement, if you have not done that achievement yet remember how you got there. POTUS ill is a milestone on that achievement

19. kellyjgoines

kellyjgoines New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Thanks! Yeah, with regards to the combos, that's what we figured, we just wanted someone to tell us... and wouldn't ya know it, as soon as I posted that question about the GCM's, I played a quick game on casual and got one. I was like cool, so I can get them from this difficulty as well...

20. Kayg0000

Jun 26, 2012
    UK
    25 quick "insane bolt" achievement games after installing the update and i have all 25 GCMs

How many of the achievements have you done, need to do. If you need spoilers see my posting top of page 78. Due to size limits I had to zip the word document, so best viewed from a PC. Will answer specific achievements if you cannot unzip the file