iPhone Mutant Storm (Popular XBLA DSS, Published by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NinthNinja, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Can anybody here a scream in the western suburbs of Melbourne... well if you can that's my iPad first generation running Mutant Storm at 60fps :)

So now the game runs at 60fps on the iPad1, iPad2 and iPad3 (full Retina) - this game is going to be the dogs bollocks ;)

Well back to the menu system for me as my reward!

2. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    bastard!!!!!! any word on release date? want to play nao!

3. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Probably the end of May or the first week in June!

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiice! Can either snag Nova 3, or save my whole $8 for this... Dunno if I'll be able to get another card til next month...

And I'm so waiting for Mutant Storm. No second thoughts... Can't wait for its release!

Wait n get Nova3 when it goes on sale in a couple months... =oP

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Nice

6. bem69

bem69 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Just got a new iPad and I'm looking forward to play this at 60 fps!!

7. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Is this iPad only? Would also love to play on mah iPhone ;)

8. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I asked this something like it a bit back (page 6, but it was a month or more ago) and this is what they said. So basically an iPad only release, then there's a possibility of an iPhone release after that.

9. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm just doing Game Center at the moment...

There's quite a big mine field of things that can go wrong with synchronisation of scores and achievements. For instance:

1. Network errors
    2. Multi-tasking
    3. A user signs out and another one signs in
    4. Playing the game without using Game Center and deciding that you do want to use it after all - all those scores and achievements that you did are needed now!

No wonder a lot of games lose scores and achievements with Game Center...

I'm actually making a very robust system that will cope with even changing to another device.

There's going to be two modes of gameplay:

1. Adventure Mode
    2. Tally Mode

Miles and Michael of Pompom have actually tweaked the gameplay to work on touch devices.

The preview copies that the reviewers have is so outdated now - in the last week things have been flying along.

With the tweaked gameplay and the tightest touch controls ever for a duel stick shooter we have something special here that really shows what can be achieved on these devices.

Hopefully be submitting sometime next week :)

10. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Im late to the party but this looks cool Instabuy...:D

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Congratulations. I can't wait to play this :)

12. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    It's very playable to play.

What's really good about it is there's 8 difficulty settings.

Adventure Mode:

4 of them are locked and 4 unlocked

Tally Mode:

All 8 are unlocked

What this actually means is the player can set the difficulty to low and have a casual experience at playing the game.

If you want to go hardcore then you just set the difficulty for that.

As you go through the levels in Adventure Mode you move up in difficulty with progression and start unlocking the higher difficulties. The beauty of all this is that there is only 1 leaderboard for Adventure Mode. It's really a good system for progression and player improvement. You can start pretty casual and by the time you go through the game you have become pretty hardcore.

But the real beauty is the level unlocking because once the levels unlock and you start a new game you can set the difficulty to low on the harder levels.

So in away everyone will get through most of the levels and once you do that you can up the difficulty level and keep improving... And also go up in the leaderboard rankings. It's pure genius that Pompom Games came up with this method of game progression... If you are casual you will love it and if you are hardcore you will love it.

Tally Mode is just about pure score attacking where all the level scores combine into a global score. You start from level 1 and do the best you can on a difficulty setting. If you get through the level you unlock the next one. As you keep unlocking the levels your global score gets bigger. But the real beauty here is you can replay the level on a higher difficulty and improve your global score. This game mode is perfect for gaming on the move - dip in and out to unlock new levels and replay them to get a bigger global score. And yes another pure genius move by Pompom Games. And all done before there was such a thing as leaderboards and mobile gaming.

The game was made for mobile :)

The game has 89 levels, weird and wonderful enemies, boss fights and visual effects that run at 60 frames per second on all iPads.

Anyway, back to programming the Game Center implementation.

13. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Latest build is truly crisp and incredible, can't wait to put this one out. ;)

14. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Just to prove how crisp this looks on Retina :)

When you see it on the Retina display running at 60fps - it looks truly amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Graphics look good and the youtube video looks tempting. Never played this game before, but I love dual stick shooters so I'll get this one for sure. I wanna see how great it will play on my new ipad. Looking forward to it.

16. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Mutant Storm will be submitted tomorrow! Then I can sleep for a week - this project was started in early January. It's been mostly me working on it and it's been a hard slog.

But at least this one didn't take 3 years to see the light of day, unlike Space Tripper. But all that work that went into Space Tripper on how to get the best out of iOS hardware has been put to use in Mutant Storm.

This game runs at 60fps on all iPad hardware. Those of you that have iPad3s will certainly appreciate the smoothness and crispness of the graphics on a full Retina screen.

And to back up things on the graphics front the touch controls are the best on iOS for a dual stick shooter...period!

The game supports these languages:

1. English
    2. French
    3. Italian
    4. German
    5. Spanish

Hopefully people will enjoy the game :)

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    submitting today looks like? :)

18. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
  19. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Well it looks like Mutant Storm hits the store tonight :)

If you own an iPad3 you are in for a treat - full Retina at 60fps with gorgeous high def graphics.

20. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    My eyes will love this.