Rekindling sales

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DistantJ, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    So what do you guys do when your app reaches that slump where the sales seem to go down to a quite low number and doesn't want to go back up? I put out an update which was approved yesterday and so I know it'll be in the new releases for a few days, but Friday wasn't exactly an amazing number of sales. I've put it back up to its original price so that I'm still making enough to pay the rent while I build the next game but I'd be interested to see if there have been any affordable marketing techniques you guys have pulled off to give an app its second wind?

2. Comicool

Comicool Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Another press release through prmac for $19.95 will always give me some reexposure.
    That's always been the most affordable method that's worked for me.

3. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    in general, it is tough. Once you've had your initial burst of attention - if any - people will move onto whatever else is next. The unfortunate case with mobile gaming is that there is usually 1,000 attention-grabbing things to compete with at any given moment, and when your app is no longer "new and mysterious" then the general populace will really not care. This doesn't mean you can't do things to try ad remain relevant, but they can be costly and time consuming. If you see that you are somehow on the verge of having a "big break" for real, well then there is of course worth in cultivating that, otherwise it's good rule of thumb to spend time building something better and different in hopes of attracting more attention.

Look on appannie at the rank history of many things released lately, even those which started quite high on the charts. Without exception save for those who've lived atop the charts for years now, everything trends sharply downward in nearly the exact same patterns. You'd need some pretty fancy gimmick or unusual plan to fight against that-